Would The Chief Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
If cheif could survive the pressure he would die from the lack of air, I don't care how advanced your armor is, if you can't breathe for more then 15 miniutes you are screwed (That is the air supply said in the books)Could you survive sinking to the bottom, and then swimming? Walking? to the surface? No way. Heck it takes more then 2 hours for a sub to get to the bottom of the ocean (marianas trench) by the time chief reached darkish waters...he be crushed and asphyxiated, not in that order lol

Shade said:
I honestly think that... this is a video-game. That's it, I hope that statement doesn't offend anyone, but that's like asking, "Where's the bathroom on the Starship Enterprise, or have they come up with a way to automatically transport all of the waste into deep space?" or. "What's Luke Skywalker's favorite color of underwear? Or..." Once again, that's my thoughts, sorry if it offends anyone.

ok Mr.No-funner (jk) we just havin a little fun and just so you know, the bathrooms on the Starship Enterprise are in there rooms :]

Last edited by a moderator:
Crook said:
You've also got to take into account that the SPARTANs were genetically enhanced. John weighed more than a ton. I would think that would enhance his abilities to withstand pressure as well. I say it's possible.

His weight would have little to do with it in the long run. Granted, he might be more dense to compact that much weight into his height, but it doesn't necessarily translate to pressure resistance. There is still fluid and gas and mushy organs inside of his body. Meaning that there is a lot of cavities on the inside that the over-pressured exterior can collapse in on.

Of course, to get to that point, his suit would have to be breached. And if the pressure cracks/implodes Mjolnir armor, his skin probably isn't going to stand up any better. Now, if we're talking about the person in terms of their mass, density, etc supporting the structure of the suit - the same "squishy organs" and whatnot apply.

I will agree that it is feasible that his physical upgrades would give him an enhanced pressure resistance compared to your average Joe. But 6000+psi is just too much stress. Even with the examples given by other posters, it's near unimaginable to conceive what that kind of pressure is like.

I'd say that he would be able to survive, as long as he could get an external air supply. If any of you did read ghosts of onyx, you'd remember that Fred, Linda, and Will had a sea op in the Caribbean, but most importantly, their suits were rated for high atmospheres. Robert Graves tricked most of blue team and incapacitated most of them by fooling their suits sensors to 10+ atmospheres. So, if they could get an external air supply, and the salt water didn't mess up their suit, then they probably could, if only for a limited time. Plus, they're genetically enhanced super humans, their lungs are more resistant to collapse!

Ironman vs. Masterchief

Masterchief, unless Ironman flew to his lab and grabbed his Heavy artillery armor...

Sorry, I know the post is 2 weeks old....

Cheers!

Iron-Man in the Hulk Buster armor. Hmmm... didn't think of that. If it can stand up against the Hulk, it'd probably fare better under high pressure.

Caboos318 said:
ghosts of onyx is my next book :]

Yah, I thought it was pretty good. Won't reveal more than the first chapter, but there are more than the original Spartans. Oh, and Fred, Will, and Kurt are Bad@sses!

To Tafumi:

I didn't read many of the Ironman comic books (deadpool ftw!) loved the ironman movie though, but did Ironman ever have a rebreathing unit? That's why I'm not sure if he could survive at that depth.

Cheers!

Shade said:
I honestly think that... this is a video-game. That's it, I hope that statement doesn't offend anyone, but that's like asking, "Where's the bathroom on the Starship Enterprise, or have they come up with a way to automatically transport all of the waste into deep space?" or. "What's Luke Skywalker's favorite color of underwear? Or..." Once again, that's my thoughts, sorry if it offends anyone.

Now Iron Man, vs. The Chief... I'm not literate in Iron Man comics, so I can't answer that, however I'm sure there are those here who have read the comics and have read enough of the Halo Novels more frequently then I have who can answer that questiion.

Did ou stop and think for one second that this is a website dedicated to building replicas of Halo weapons and armor in real life?

Seriously.

RAAAAAAAAGH! sorry but spelling chief wrong always makes me go crazy! Anyways from what I know of the MJLONIR system, It can survive in outerspace only near atmospheres whether it be a halo ring or a UNSC planet. A spartan would surely die if he were floating in space by its self. So a spartan might be able to go under water for about the same as a lower version of a deep sea pressure suit. But in the end even though the suit might be able to take it the gel layer would collapse and he/she would be imploded.

flipboy439 said:
my thoughts? while the pressure of the depths of the ocean is ridiculously high, space is a vacuum. you cant get a higher pressure than that. if a suit can survive under the pressure of a vacuum then it can survive under any pressure to me. sorry if im dead wrong, but that is my guess, and its late and i dont really feel like reading those posts :p. if im right, then im awesome, if not, then im an idiot. plan and simple. haha.

edit. just read the second to last one. but dont you think that 500 years into the future that (for example, in futurama) a pressure-pill of sorts would be invented to stop this? with all of humanity's advances, shouldnt buffing the body to be able to withstand different pressures be one of them?

Actually the vacuum of space is the complete inverse of what you just said. In space there is NO pressure. guess your the second one, haha just kiddin.

Shade said:
but that's like asking, "Where's the bathroom on the Starship Enterprise, or have they come up with a way to automatically transport all of the waste into deep space?"

Star Trek Technical Manual. Each stateroom or barracks room(depending on era, seeing as TOS series ships were more like modern day warships and only Bridge officers have their own staterooms, TNG ships carried families as well) had one.

As for Chief touching the bottom of the ocean. Not gonna happen. Even though his suit is rated for 15 min worth of space exposure, its not rated for more than say 2-3 atmospheres. In the novels their suits were tricked to think they were in 10atmos, they weren't actually in 10atmos. The main reasons this isnt possible...1)Not enough OXY to get to the bottom 2)would be crushed like a tin can 3)Like said previously, if he DID make it to the bottom for some reason, he would probably be undergoing Nitrogen Narcosis(build-up of Nitrogen in the bloodstream that builds up in the joints, causing extreme pain or death) 4)His augmentations were to his bone structure and reaction times. His bones are near unbreakable but he would still be affected by pressure, while he gets compacted his ribs would probably start puncturing his internal organs while he decended.

I kinda think he could survive. Well at least his suit would. He did, after all, fall through the atmosphere and crash land in nothing but his frozen suit at the beginning of Halo 3. The air is another issue.

Dan W. said:
I kinda think he could survive. Well at least his suit would. He did, after all, fall through the atmosphere and crash land in nothing but his frozen suit at the beginning of Halo 3. The air is another issue.

Frozen suit? You know how much heat you build up upon re-entry? Thats why the space shuttle has ceramic heat tiles on the bottom of it.

Upchuk said:
Frozen suit? You know how much heat you build up upon re-entry? Thats why the space shuttle has ceramic heat tiles on the bottom of it.

i think he means locked up, even then the armor was locked up from impact, or maybe it locked up from the heat of falling? don't know.

Although the MJLONIR armor is very advanced, especially by today's standards, I seriously doubt that it would stand up to the bottom of the ocean, but it may allow you to go deeper than conventional diving gear. All that is really known is that it can withstand the vacuum of space, which has much different and much lower pressures than exerted under water.

Also (hardly related but just wanted to note) heat build up on re-entry is obviously friction from the air, so the faster you go the hotter an object on re-entry becomes. It also works the other way, if something enters the atmosphere slowly then you wont generate much heat. Though say free fall from say 500k feet you would steadily get hotter as you fall into the increasingly dense air, but not nearly as hot as say about mach 24 like the space shuttle. Of course not to say someone could just free fall from space and not burn up. If you were too far from the Earth, there wouldn't be much to slow you down so you would probably be going fast enough to "burn up"

Well, you gotta think that in the cutscene animation he was a flaming ball. Id figure that he fell from the Dreadnaught while it was in re-entry, therby he attained the speed it had upon re-entry. Probably alot faster than the terminal velocity of the human body in free-fall.

i hate when people get fackts wrong. the ferst is this 15min air saply. that was MKIV. the MK V had a 90min air saply and the MK VI had a 180min air saply (sorry about the spelling). 2nd, his armour was locked up from the inpacked not the fall. 3rd, the chief nor anybuddy elce could in a dive-sute or anything eltce make it to the bottem of the deppest part of the oacen. 4th what makes you think the world is still the same? the oacen could be shalower or deeper then it is now(sorry for bad spelling)

If you believe its possible please read this for the love of god

if you spend 30 minutes at 15m (50ft) underwater you need to spend 6.30 minutes at 5m (10ft) on your way back up to remove the high pressure gasses from your body to prevent them from expanding in your veins and spine thus cutting off airflow and deforming you spine which will result in 'the bends' which, untreated, will kill you in agonising pain.

it doesn't matter how 'buff' you are, how well trained you are or how far technology has advanced, unless you get the high pressure gasses out of you before they expand your dead.

also the length of time needed for a decompression stop expands exponentially the deeper you go ie: spending the same 30 minutes at 30 metres (it actually goes off the safety charts for calculating it) but I'm getting a calculation of around 15-20 minutes MINIMUM

when under physical pressure you use up more air because its becoming compressed too therefore he'd have to have some majorly big air tanks to make it all the way down and back. at 30m (100ft)you consume air at about 100 litres per minute!!!

on a typical dive a 220 bar air tank will read around 150 at 30m. one diver on a 220 bar tank, down to 12 meters can only stay down for around 50 minutes before it starts to run out

oh and by the way, after about 40m (130ft) under water oxygen becomes poisonous and must be mixed with other gasses like nitrogen to stop it from killing you.

not much further down THIS then becomes poisonous and must be replaced with helium and so on. the same must be done on the way back up so i sure hope he's got lots of other tanks of gasses in that suit as well

oh and for those who are arguing that the suit could withstand the pressure, it cant.

it really cant.

the deepest submarine dive (read manned sub not just a submersible with electronics) is 1,300, by the K-64, Alfa class submarine. the sub in question was decommissioned a short time afterwards due to stress cracks in the hull. keep in mind that it had a HEAVILY re-enforced and very thick titanium hull.

I don't care what super composite materials they come up with in the future, if the neck area can be crushed by a brutes hands its not guna work.

iron man wouldn't make it ether I'm afraid. maby (MABY) the suit could withstand the pressure if it was some sort of super suit made of an, as yet, undiscovered material but the pressure changes would kill him

i'll stop

/rant

flying_squirl said:

if you spend 30 minutes at 15m (50ft) underwater you need to spend 6.30 minutes at 5m (10ft) on your way back up to remove the high pressure gasses from your body to prevent them from expanding in your veins and spine thus cutting off airflow and deforming you spine which will result in 'the bends' which, untreated, will kill you in agonising pain.

it doesn't matter how 'buff' you are, how well trained you are or how far technology has advanced, unless you get the high pressure gasses out of you before they expand your dead.

also the length of time needed for a decompression stop expands exponentially the deeper you go ie: spending the same 30 minutes at 30 metres (it actually goes off the safety charts for calculating it) but I'm getting a calculation of around 15-20 minutes MINIMUM

when under physical pressure you use up more air because its becoming compressed too therefore he'd have to have some majorly big air tanks to make it all the way down and back. at 30m (100ft)you consume air at about 100 litres per minute!!!

on a typical dive a 220 bar air tank will read around 150 at 30m. one diver on a 220 bar tank, down to 12 meters can only stay down for around 50 minutes before it starts to run out

oh and by the way, after about 40m (130ft) under water oxygen becomes poisonous and must be mixed with other gasses like nitrogen to stop it from killing you.

not much further down THIS then becomes poisonous and must be replaced with helium and so on. the same must be done on the way back up so i sure hope he's got lots of other tanks of gasses in that suit as well

oh and for those who are arguing that the suit could withstand the pressure, it cant.

it really cant.

the deepest submarine dive (read manned sub not just a submersible with electronics) is 1,300, by the K-64, Alfa class submarine. the sub in question was decommissioned a short time afterwards due to stress cracks in the hull. keep in mind that it had a HEAVILY re-enforced and very thick titanium hull.

I don't care what super composite materials they come up with in the future, if the neck area can be crushed by a brutes hands its not guna work.

iron man wouldn't make it ether I'm afraid. maby (MABY) the suit could withstand the pressure if it was some sort of super suit made of an, as yet, undiscovered material but the pressure changes would kill him

i'll stop

/rant

All competition is now officially owned.

/thread

flying_squirl said:

Dave not to contradict you but all the stuff about decompression only applies to SCUBA style stuff. Hardsuits are much more applicable to the sub analogy as they maintain a constant internal pressure. For purposes of the discussion I assumed Cheif=armored pressure suit and Iron Man=hardsuit.

So to sum up again.

Cheif= Asphyxiate

Stark= Beer can analogy implosion/hull failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back