Pepkura "visor" First? Or Real Visor From The Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booyakz

For Halloween this year, I decided to be Master Cheif. I searched up how to make his armour and soon after found 405th. So I've started my first suit of armour, but I'm experiencing some minor trouble. I've searched for an answer and can't find one so I made this thread.

Most pep files (for helmets) seem to include a part to make a visor. Now I've come to realize I have 2 choices.

1. Complete the helmet as intended (resin, fiberglass and paint included), then cut out the "visor" and put in a real visor.

OR

2. Cut out the pieces that involve attaching the "visor" and put in a real visor after resin, fiberglass and paint.

Any input appreciated!

(Yes, I am a noob...)

Boo said:
For Halloween this year, I decided to be Master Cheif. I searched up how to make his armour and soon after found 405th. So I've started my first suit of armour, but I'm experiencing some minor trouble. I've searched for an answer and can't find one so I made this thread.

Most pep files (for helmets) seem to include a part to make a visor. Now I've come to realize I have 2 choices.

1. Complete the helmet as intended (resin, fiberglass and paint included), then cut out the "visor" and put in a real visor.

OR

2. Cut out the pieces that involve attaching the "visor" and put in a real visor after resin, fiberglass and paint.

Any input appreciated!

(Yes, I am a noob...)

I would suggest leaving in the visor and then take it out. The visor isn't in there on purpose it is mainly a support piece until you resined the helmet so it is tough enough too hold its shape then you can cut out the visor and then fiberglass. But say like ODST builds you are like how do I get that bent visor build? Then that is when you resin it and cut it out and fiberglass the Visor and body filler it and sand to perfection but not too much so it won't fit in the helmet. Get a motor cycle visor or the car shields from Home depot and heat it up and then vacuum seal it onto the pep visor you sanded down and voila.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well pepping and fiberglassing with the pep visor on is to ensure your helmet doesn't distort it's shape and helps the helmet harden in it's intended form. But it's all up to you how you want to go about making your lid. But remember you need a dremel or something to cut out the visor if you glass it with the visor on.

I kept the pepakura visor in the helm and fiberglass all around it, just tried not to lay too much glass on the actual paper visor part. It did the job and kept the shape the helm.

Afterwords I just cut it out with some snips and then sanded down around, and painted. Looked pretty good.

Your going to want to keep your visor in. This way you won't be like so many of us that got a warped helmet on the first try. Also, you should probably put a thin coat of resin on it as well to add to what kind of support it can add. Remember to have a dremel ready cause your going to need it very soon.

- Adulese

Fire said:
yes i do believe they are lol xD.

No, they're not... One is putting the (cardstock) visor in, resining, fiberglassing and painting, then cutting out the pep visor to put in a real one. Two is omitting the pep visor from the start. I hope that made more sense...

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! I'll definitely follow that advice because I DO NOT want a warped helmet...

Pep the whole helmet. (Visor included.) Resin and Fiberglass. (Make sure not to get too much Fiberglass on the visor.) And then cut out the visor. (Bondo, sand, Bondo, sand, Bondo, sand, ect, ect.) Add real visor after paintjob on the helmet is done.

Adulese said:
Your going to want to keep your visor in. This way you won't be like so many of us that got a warped helmet on the first try. Also, you should probably put a thin coat of resin on it as well to add to what kind of support it can add. Remember to have a dremel ready cause your going to need it very soon.

- Adulese

I'm definitely going to keep the visor in after everyone's advice, but why do you need a dremel? At first I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up and saw that it was a brand name. They mostly make rotary tools. Is that what you're refering to? And what would I need that for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back