Anyone Use 2 Part Aerosol Hardeners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chwbcc1

I have been working on my project for over a month now, I don't think I am every going to finish... Yet I already know after Halloween I will be working on my own suit so to save time I have bee looking at alternatives to some for the steps.

I have figured out that I hate fiber glass. I have such trouble keeping clean and my cloth gets everywhere. I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I would like to for go this step completely.

I found that just resin works well since I add bondo which really solidifies the piece but I lose detail in the process. Sooooooooo....

Has any one used 2 part Aerosol Hardeners to stabilize their Peps? Like this

I really just want to stabilize the paper so I can fill it with expandable foam to create a mold (helmet block like a Milliner). From there I should be able to add raised detailing with clay or adhesive foam and carve detail into the block with a hot wire.

From here I will create a mold and then pull come Smooth Cast pieces.

So what do you all think? Would a 2 part hardener, or Spray Starch or Spray sizing work long enough to hold the shape of my Peps while I add the foam to create the basic helm block?

Peace,

chwbcc

If it was some kind of laquer spray I would say yes but with the clear coat hardener and the other suggestions I would say no. I have used lauquer spray on paper and it takes a couple of coats to harden the piece and a little while for it to dry but I have been able to fill it with expanding foam and got it to hold its shape course I was also using C-Clamps in places just to be sure. But as for Starch or Clear Coat I would have to say No.

that stuff is more for painting cars...even though it says hardener it really wont make the paper that hard it usually will crack or break if stressed

chwbcc said:
I really just want to stabilize the paper so I can fill it with expandable foam

Pure fiberglass resin should do that just fine. As long as there are holes for the foam to escape from, it won't warp. If you're doing a helmet and NOT using a two part polyurethane foam, do it in layers. Otherwise, your foam will never cure.

Last edited by a moderator:
all you'll need if just the resin to make it stable and stonger , but for the fiberglass you can "tack" glue them in place with hotglue if you have problem with your mat so that you just pour in the resin and paint the glass with the brush , but i supose you could use laquers,maybe even the ahdhesive stuff (given time to let it dry ) or something like thatbut you will need alot of coats to be able to get the quality of strentgh as the resin

i say just go the resin and leave the glass if you want and then spray the inside with expando foam if you want

one thing,underestimate the force of expanding foam and your piece could burst due to either:

1.the force of the expanding foam(the stuff burst through my pep AR when it was resined and bondoed outside.

2.overfillment of piece

3.not enough ventilation holes(make sure you have plenty,my AR had 7 ventilation holes in it and it still got stuffed).Hope i helped.

And using acetone,you can dissolve the leftover foam in the extending pipe(you're gonna need a extending pipe) making the can re-usable till out.

Until next next time

//>>Mjolnir follower/Vergil out<<\\

The expanding foam only recommeended for opened object like a helmet or other sorts of armor, for weapons you should resin the outside and then spit the model in half and glass the inside and the stick it back together and then spray the foam inside , nearly all spray foam aerosols should come with an extended straw since it's for blocking up small holes etc

Great thoughts gang,

Here's a link where I got the idea for the foam and spray hardener, then a friend suggested the auto body hardener.

I think most of the armor pieces are open so expansion shouldn't be a problem. But I will take the advice and do it in layers. The idea is to make a block that I can uses to add detail to, then create a mold from that block, then pour smooth cast in the mold.

Time isn't a problem for my second suit, but I really just want to avoid the mess... I'm a guy! I want to be lazy and yet still get the best possible results! ;)

chwbcc said:
I'm a guy! I want to be lazy and yet still get the best possible results! ;)

lol i second that :p, there is another way you can do it to if you want to know , what oue do is do a few coats of resin on the outside and pour smooth cast 300 on the inside then you can fill it with foam , just another hint for you ;)

p.s if you do get the smooth cast 300 , buy the trials version because you dont need much .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back