Fiberglass/resin Over Duct Tape? Will This Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phranksizzle

Hello,

This is my first post, and I hate uber-newbies so I have searched the forums for about an hour looking for the answer to my question. I didn't find it so I decided to make a post! Anyway, I am making my halo inpsired (not going for the actual master chief/odst look), and I have made it out of Duct Tape and Cardboard. So basically, there is a LOT of exposed duct tape.

I will post up pictures later on today (I'm at my shop right now) . My question is how do I reinforce my armor so that it won't bend like the cheap cardboard that it is, give it a nice hard surface for me to paint/add detail . I was planning on using fiberglass cloth on the side of the armor, sanding it down and adding foam pads (I made it a little bigger so it will all fit. And I was just planning on using resin on the outside (which is FULL of duct tape!). Will this achieve my desired effect? (I want to be able to use it more than once, and have it be durable)

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

couldnt tell ya... But what you could do is take a piece of Duct tape, stick it on some Cardboard, wip up a small amount of Resin, pour said resin onto piece, and see what happens.

People need to not be so afraid to experiment... Armor/prop making is like 90% trial and error, you have to figure some stuff out yourself... Sure someone knows the answer to your question and its easy enough to just ask, but why not find out for yourself?

Also, this could of gone in the "question Thread"

I googled this and found a thread in TDH that says that resin wont stick to Duct Tape so im guess it wont eat through it if it dosent stick to it. So Im guessing its ok to fiberglass over ducttape but the resin wont stick to it as good :)

Thanks

Th3 FETT MAN

I've never seen it done, but I would think that the resin would just run right off the duct tape.

A method I've seen done before by someone making a grenade using a styrofoam ball (had nothing to do with resin sticking or duct tape. but it might still work). anyway he covered to model in gorilla glue. I'm basically saying, put a think layer of something that resin DOES stick to over the ducttape, then apply the resin.

It Works over masking tape and fun foam , so duct tape is no prob , However you will not be able to sand through it ( it will get very gunky ) so you will have to build up serious layers .In this case I would recommend that you fiberglass the outside with MAT (choppstrand ) then bondo over if you are going the ductape route.

Sorry about the new thread, then guys! I appreciate all the help.

Here are some pictures of what I am doing. Remember, I do not want to be a halo 3 clone or an ODST clone, I am going for something original (It lets me do my creative thing without being in the standards of something else)

I'm still not sure what to do for the outside. I mean it's a lot of ductape, I thought about going over that duct tape with masking tape or tissue paper and THEN resining it, but I'm not too sure.

Don't worry about it. You brought up something new and different and we're all here to learn from each other. So really no sweat. Also welcome to the forums. If you do go through with it show us you're results. It'll be a good learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back