How Do You Rip 3D Models From Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

Hi all you modellers out there in 405th cyeberspace, I have a tricky question to ask you guys is there a way to go about ripping a 3d model from a game like from a PC, XBOX360, or PS2 game, not sure whether it can be done from a ROM or from the actual game or not and I know there are programs out there like 3DRipperDX and OGLE but after looking at them one could only rip PC games with DirectX 9.0 and the other was a freaking headache to figure out. So the question here is what or how if it's even possible to rip a 3D Model from a game, whats a program that can do it or is there some wa to pull it from the program because if a program has to be used to put a character into a game there has to be one to pull a character from a game?

Good question, but I am not sure that pulling the wireframe models out of a game would serve any purpose.

Most games use low polly wire frame models to generate the basic structures of an ingame character, then they use texture maps to fill in the detail. Generally the wire frame models are reduced down to the smallest amount of poligons to keep the file sizes small. The rest of the illusion is created with texture maps.

So pulling a character model from a game, if possible, would only produce a low quality wire frame and not really good for importing into Pepakura and such. Alot of work would still have to be done to add in the detail.

Anyone else have any ideas if this is possible?

Simply put: you don't. I'm pretty sure the 405th doesn't agree with game-ripped files, and I'm fairly sure that also goes for condoning said ripping to begin with.

There's plenty of stuff to go by on Google, have a look there.

xbox rips are a pain. need an modded xbox and extract map files.. if you can get models from that be my guest i still cant figure out how.. only models from h2 and h1 can i rip h3 is all locked up and cant extract models same with alot of the newer games.

weasel.jpg

I was wondering this same thing a while back so I did some digging. I found a few forums like this one, and what I learned was, there are plenty of people who rip plenty of models out of plenty of games.... No one have EVER ripped a model from ANY halo game(That we know of). Pretty awesome and disappointing at the same time. :p

As to what Chwbcc said, newer 360 games and whatnot would be valuable to rip in my opinion. The models are much much more detailed than previous ones, and for something like pepakura, it would be perfect (with some minor tweaks).

EDIT: Someone did pull a couple new levels and a boss-thing off of Halo 3 as I recall. But no playable models.

halo 1 and 2 you canbut not the newer ones due to the copyright infringement ms has put in place the modding community wont alow anyone to extract models from the games anymore from the xbox. no apps or programs are being built to do that sort of thing.

CommanderFluffy said:
halo 1 and 2 you canbut not the newer ones due to the copyright infringement ms has put in place the modding community wont alow anyone to extract models from the games anymore from the xbox. no apps or programs are being built to do that sort of thing.

I find it extremely lame that MS did that :(

I find it a reason to buy games actually. I love to just get in a costum game with friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yodajammies said:
No ripped models? hmmm :rolleyes

Lot of misinformation ITT.

what about those fallout models whe have :p

How this works on the PC is that there is software out there which essentially hooks into the draw calls the game makes to directx. From there you can extract the vertex streams to pull out the necessary data. This can then be reconstructed into a model file that can be imported into a modeling application.

Now that being said that method wouldn't be able to be used on PS3 or 360 since you don't have access to intercept the calls to hardware. You would have to extract the actual data files and then reverse engineer the data formats they use to store their binary model data.

I'm sure for any game out there though this would be breaking copyright laws and doing this sort of thing is probably not condoned by these forums.

Dan W. said:
I was wondering this same thing a while back so I did some digging. I found a few forums like this one, and what I learned was, there are plenty of people who rip plenty of models out of plenty of games.... No one have EVER ripped a model from ANY halo game(That we know of). Pretty awesome and disappointing at the same time. :p

As to what Chwbcc said, newer 360 games and whatnot would be valuable to rip in my opinion. The models are much much more detailed than previous ones, and for something like pepakura, it would be perfect (with some minor tweaks).

EDIT: Someone did pull a couple new levels and a boss-thing off of Halo 3 as I recall. But no playable models.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CtrlAltDestr0y

Him. But I believe you are mistaken. A WHOLE LOT of models were pulled from both Halo 1 and 2. There was an entire website dedicated to it (yayap.com), but luckily it's gone now (the guys were assholes)

Even I have ripped a few CE models.

Arcanine said:
Simply put: you don't. I'm pretty sure the 405th doesn't agree with game-ripped files, and I'm fairly sure that also goes for condoning said ripping to begin with.

There's plenty of stuff to go by on Google, have a look there.

I'm guessing you haven't been here in the 405th from the start. YOu'd know that's not true.

There's really absolutely no problem with ripping models as long as it's for reference or even just because you need practice rigging/ rendering and don't feel like doing the work that leads upto that.

The thing is, Bungie doesn't really have a problem with their models being taken out of the games as long as.... well, there's a good reason for it. They've basically said it before themselves.

I'm having a problem though. HEK is the only app that can rip Halo 1 modles no problem, but it doesn't seem to work on vista at all :(

I mod halo 1 without custom edtion, on the mac.

It is very possible to rip models from halo 1, and I know someone who has access to ripped halo 3 models:

lololololicantthinkofanamerightnow.jpg

The monster in the back is boredom.

The ball is the bubbleshield

Ripping game models is simple, I can rip some Halo 1 and 2 models straight from the Xbox version if you'd like. As for Halo 3, you need a Dev Kit, modded Halo 3 .xex, and LOTS of time.

You could just email the developer and ask for the models you want. I'm sure they would be happy to see that you are interested in their hard work.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back