Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chwbcc1

Well it feels like the 405th is limping along right now during the updates but I wanted to take this time to edit my WIP and get it up to speed.

I will be adding photos to my web account and posting them back in this thread.

So stay tuned while I track down all my photos :p

-------------------

I'm addicted, I can't help it! Halloween went over very well. I spent two months working out all the logistics for Sophie's Armor and in the last few hours I had to throw together an Optimus Prime costume together in 6 hours! In the end all the hard work paid off, the kids were very happy, the neighbors were blown away and my kids felt like movie stars!

Now it is my turn! Daddy get's to play. My long sob story short, I moved to Florida, had no friends, so my dad took me to a place called 1701 Enterprise, now know as Sci-fi City. I knew we didn't have a lot of money after the move from PA, so I picked the cheapest miniature I could find from the discount box. It was a three pack of space marines. Parts were missing but the nice guy at the store pieced together a complete set for me and I was the happiest kid in the world. I painted and repainted those three men at a dozen times.

Now all grown up there isn't enough time or any place close to play, instead I am going to build my own space marine.

First I must give an amazing shout out to Samuray... Without his talented 3d abilities this wouldn't be possible. The amount of energy and time he has put in to these models is unreal! He is true;y the artist behind this build. I am merely the monkey gluing it all together. A big thank you for the work and I truly hope the skill you are using to build these files takes you somewhere. You are talented!

For those of you interested in building your own Corvus Armor check out Samuray's Thread here:

Samuray's Corvus Armor

Below you will find my WIP Photos. I will try to keep them updated regularly. I am also going to be trying a different method, I am not sure how it will work but the final goal of this WIP is to build a mold and cast a few of these so I can have several different chapters lining my book case.

I've never done any molding of objects this size so if anyone has some good advice or know of any really good threads on the boards, let me know. I've seen the stickys, watched the Smooth On videos but I know there is still much to learn about the process. If only to justify and settle my nervousness about trying something new. All the support is greatly appreciated.

I will also try to detail the process I am going to use. I haven't seen it on the site... but I have only been hear about three months. So if you see me trying something that has been done before let me know, so I can see how they have done it and maybe I can learn from their successes and mistakes.

So on with the WIP:

I've pepped my Corvus Helm. I didn't use any glue, I used Masking Tape. This is fine for my purpose because I intend to use the Pep as a mold for my next step, filling the helm with expandable foam. (edit: this doesn't work)

I am not worried about the detail because I already plan on sanding the foam and adding details with clay or bondo. From there I will create the molds.

Photos
November 08, 2009
November 11, 2009

Making progress, Hurricane Ida held me up a few days, due to rain. Stupid hurricane was 500 miles away and I still got rained on for 3 days! WTF? Today I decided rain or shine I was getting this thing resin'd. The rain let up long enough to get a coat of resin on it, but due to my kids beating each other like always, I lost count of the drops of catalyst so I think I put in 10 less drops than I should have so this may take a bit longer to dry! Stupid Kids!

Other than that it looks great! The masking tape worked awesome! Much quicker to use and it seals any gaps in the pep'ing process. I'm not worried about the tape because I am going to bondo over it anyway.

Let me know what you think!

Link to my WIP Gallery:
http://witmanphotography.com/SpaceMarines/Gallery/index.htm

Now that looks damn good, Shoulders and Helmet both look perfectly sized, so what are you building next on the list of parts?

Nintendude said:
Now that looks damn good, Shoulders and Helmet both look perfectly sized, so what are you building next on the list of parts?

I think I have to build the chest next! Just so I can put it all in proportion and make some tweaks if needed. I keep going back and forth about finishing it to mold or to wear! Ah the dilemma!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
chwbcc said:
I think I have to build the chest next! Just so I can put it all in proportion and make some tweaks if needed. I keep going back and forth about finishing it to mold or to wear! Ah the dilemma!!! :)

Well you could do what I'm going to do and just mold the helmet so you can sell copies on ebay.

That is exactly the same process I'm going to use on my next suit. I absolutely hate fiberglassing after making 1 mark vi suit and my mark iv is going to be cast. I know it's considerably more expensive, but unlike my mark vi, I have nothing but time.

Your suit looks great, I can wait to sEe the results.

Great work so far. I am currently doing an ODST build was thinking of using a similar method of Pep, Foam, Clay; then mold and cast. I have been wanting to do a Space Marine for a long time, and I think having molds is the way to go, because you can make so many variants of those guys.

Keep with it!

good job on the space marine suit. but i play tau so if u could show me to one of those costume i would very much appreciatte it :D

oooooh, space marines, im drooling! however, my favorite race in 40k, hands down is the Necron. They are the hardest and most complicated race to use in the entire game, and if you meet someone who can dominate a field with the necrons, they are a god. im ok with them, and i want to get better :D

NIGHT-BRINGER FTW!!! WHOOOO!

teletron1 said:
Is it bad that I used to play the multisided dice table top version of this game .(Chewie the wait will kil us :) )

Bad? Heck no, If you say you used to play D&D too I might have to leave my wife! :)

We have Hurricane/Tropical Storm passing by Florida right now so it's been raining for the last three days.

I have been pretty impatient too so I think no matter what I am going to resin it tonight in my garage.

I have however started printing and cutting the chest pieces in the mean time so if it's real bad outside, I might have time to start pepping that.

tomb-stone said:
oooooh, space marines, im drooling! however, my favorite race in 40k, hands down is the Necron. They are the hardest and most complicated race to use in the entire game, and if you meet someone who can dominate a field with the necrons, they are a god. im ok with them, and i want to get better :D

NIGHT-BRINGER FTW!!! WHOOOO!

necron are lame nothing the mass suicide of the imperial guard....if you could pull of the build hats off to you not to many have pulled off the space marine look

guilty said:
good job on the space marine suit. but i play tau so if u could show me to one of those costume i would very much appreciatte it :D

Working on it no teling how long it will be before it's out in my pep collection though but it's the Fire Warrior I'm working on and god was he a pain to rip from the game.

Chwbcc

Looking good there on the armor again hope your build goes together pretty good and if you ever need any help from me on a pep file for a marine just let me know and I will do what I can to help

Spartan,

I know what you mean, The problem is the scaling many people use. Pep is the best way to control the proper scale. I really hope this turns out good so far the pieces Samuray has designed are working out great. Plus I have a few years with Disney Entertainment under my belt so I have a good understanding of how costumes work on a performer. I've been to the US Games Workshop Headquarters and I wasn't impressed with the stuff I've seen there. Their life size Marine is cool but again the scale is off. I'll post a pic after this reply.

Nin,

Thanks, I'll let you know, right now I'm just Peping Samuray's files and seeing where it takes me. If you want to try this build check out his thread here

Do you know any 3d software? I would love to start an Eldar Guardian next.

Sorry Tau and Necrons are like expansion teams in the NFL... Stupid! LOL seriously I'm on old school gamer and the expansion races seem to fit too perfectly in the dynamics of the game. Every race is strong in some aspect and weak in another. The new rules are too mathematically balanced it takes the fun out of technique and strategy of the original rules. (granted there was too many rules that were too vague but that was the fun!)

Here is that photo I mentioned

I took it at the US Games Workshop Headquarters. It's a life size 1:1 model.

I know, I know, Marines are supposed to be 8 feet tall, and are gods among men, the geneseed and blah blah blah, but that is a myth perpetuated by the Empire to instill fear in those who challenge the God-Emperor... hehehehe Marines are still just Human!

When I stood next to it one could easily see it fitting a person roughly 6'4" or 6'5" with an athletic build and broad shoulders. That's me minus the donuts I had this morning! :)

chwbcc said:
Spartan,

I know what you mean, The problem is the scaling many people use. Pep is the best way to control the proper scale. I really hope this turns out good so far the pieces Samuray has designed are working out great. Plus I have a few years with Disney Entertainment under my belt so I have a good understanding of how costumes work on a performer. I've been to the US Games Workshop Headquarters and I wasn't impressed with the stuff I've seen there. Their life size Marine is cool but again the scale is off. I'll post a pic after this reply.

Nin,

Thanks, I'll let you know, right now I'm just Peping Samuray's files and seeing where it takes me. If you want to try this build check out his thread here

Do you know any 3d software? I would love to start an Eldar Guardian next.

Sorry Tau and Necrons are like expansion teams in the NFL... Stupid! LOL seriously I'm on old school gamer and the expansion races seem to fit too perfectly in the dynamics of the game. Every race is strong in some aspect and weak in another. The new rules are too mathematically balanced it takes the fun out of technique and strategy of the original rules. (granted there was too many rules that were too vague but that was the fun!)

i played tau, space marines, and imperial guard i found each to be extremely entertaining in their own way :D

but that suit is looking good so far if you get a chance do you think you could do a dreadnaught suit?? ive always thought about making one but i dont know how to do the 3D modeling

I've only seen the little Warhammer figurines, and they look pretty awesome. I can't wait to see that Space Marine finished!

chwbcc said:
Here is that photo I mentioned

Nimba creations made that, among others. They also did some wearable suits. Just search 'Inquisitor' in YouTube to see them in action

Tango 89er said:
Nimba creations made that, among others. They also did some wearable suits. Just search 'Inquisitor' in YouTube to see them in action

Nice, I've seen those before, and didn't put the two together. Now it all makes sense because the GW HQ statue looked like it would fit a person.

I love Nimba's work, everything is so gritty and realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back