Full Scale Ghost (Not A Stationary Prop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm aware I've not done a lot on this forum, and I've not gotten around to doing much in the way of costuming either, to be honest, however, I have an idea as to how to make a full scale ghost. I will go into the plans when I'm not on my way out to go to work, but Firstly I would need to know the scale it would be.

Wingspan, Wing height, seat width, length etc.

If anyone can help me out with these dimensions, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any reference pictures would be immensely helpful too.

As for 'pics or it didn't happen', when I have the time and money, and if I still believe it to be possible to make it, then there will be pics. Until that time, if you don't believe me, don't comment.

Hopefully someone can give me a hand with the specifics, and I will see what I can do about the Actual ghost sometime in the near future, just at planning stages at the moment.

As for the Ghost I have a small pep file for it in my Banshee Build on the 2nd page you are welcome to for ideas, refrence or just to use the model feel free for whatever purpose you can find the thread for it in the Creation Discussion.

The Halo Encyclopedia has the length listed as being 14ft (4.2m). That is all it has about size, but should be enough useing NIN 's pep model to get overall size at least

Out of curioustiy, what are you planning on constructing this from? Buzzard is right; the ghost is just under 14ft long. (I always thought it would be cool to make a ghost "shell" that I could fit over my bike... It wouldn't have a great boost though.... :lol ) Come to think of it, I believe a couple of people were working on a ghost about a year or so back... I think it was made out of scrap steel... I'll take a quick look through the forums

Cheers!

Edit: Haven't found much in 10 min but a couple of guys did one for a redbull contest or something...

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1199&hl=ghost&st=0

Hmmm, I think I know how this could work.

Grab the existing ghost file, edit it so the the pices will be really small(not that small, but still...). It should be made in parts like Wing, Body, seat, and joysticks(so the parts won't collapse under the weight, use mooden struts). You will still have to follow the same steps as if you were making armor, but you will have to attach them somehow(that's the part that stumps me :( ). The bondo will needed in large quantities if you go with a pepakura method or not.

I would still like to see this made.

-Pony

if the parts of a ghost where made HD and cut down into chunks (wing, seat, tail, noes, etc) could it be made in pep to scale? i have a old file i was working on, its not done much in the first place but ill see if i can salvage it in case.

Ill probably be scratch building it. I have a chair that I think would be perfect for it, its an x-rocker gaming chair. It needs replacing, so this is a new lease of life for it. I can run a looped mp3 recording of the engine sound through it, assuming I get a generator in the front somewhere. I plan to have the nose end 'float', though the reality of whether that will work or not is beyond my mental capacity at the moment, and probably have a wheel in the back end. I'll probably be using mdf wood for the basic structure, then expanding foam for the rest of the shape, to try and keep it light so it CAN float if its possible.

If anyone is able to find me the specific dimensions of a ghost, I'd be very grateful. Lots of Hi-Def screen-caps would be great too.

Sniperbaas392, thanks for finding that thread.

Nintendude, thanks for the authorisation of your file. It should come in very handy.

If anyone can make me a file for just the guns in a ghost, however, that would be great. I want to see what I'd need to do weapons-wise, if I do put weapons in at all.

You should totally make it like a hovercraft...or one of those kiddie rides that move up and down in the mall.

KrovikanCorvinus said:
Ill probably be scratch building it. I have a chair that I think would be perfect for it, its an x-rocker gaming chair. It needs replacing, so this is a new lease of life for it. I can run a looped mp3 recording of the engine sound through it, assuming I get a generator in the front somewhere. I plan to have the nose end 'float', though the reality of whether that will work or not is beyond my mental capacity at the moment, and probably have a wheel in the back end. I'll probably be using mdf wood for the basic structure, then expanding foam for the rest of the shape, to try and keep it light so it CAN float if its possible.

If anyone is able to find me the specific dimensions of a ghost, I'd be very grateful. Lots of Hi-Def screen-caps would be great too.

Sniperbaas392, thanks for finding that thread.

Nintendude, thanks for the authorisation of your file. It should come in very handy.

If anyone can make me a file for just the guns in a ghost, however, that would be great. I want to see what I'd need to do weapons-wise, if I do put weapons in at all.

Well if you like I can take my current file I have and delete everything from it except for the front guns if you want it won't be too much of a problem for me to do and get put into a pep file I could also break the ghost up into sections and try to make it a higher poly but not sure if I can get it completed anytme soon. Just as a thought I doubt you would want a 14 foot long Ghost laying around I mean thats longer than a Van I think but if you made it like 8 foot long it would'nt be so bad and would look better for photographs and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendude said:
Well if you like I can take my current file I have and delete everything from it except for the front guns if you want it won't be too much of a problem for me to do and get put into a pep file I could also break the ghost up into sections and try to make it a higher poly but not sure if I can get it completed anytme soon. Just as a thought I doubt you would want a 14 foot long Ghost laying around I mean thats longer than a Van I think but if you made it like 8 foot long it would'nt be so bad and would look better for photographs and stuff.

That would be great if you could edit the guns for me man, and I forgot to say it wont be a full-scale one. It'll probably be around 7-8ft, seeing as I'm nowhere near 7ft tall it'd look daft. I plan to get on with building the body and acquiring the seat after xmas, cash-flow pending. I've been scouering the net all last night picking out some images of the ghost, so I should be quite accurate with the shape and scale by the time I come round to bulding it.

kensai111 said:
For the life of me I can't find the guy who made the 1st full scale ghost.. I know the topic is around here somewhere... here's a writeup on it though on our sister site Hawty McBloggy: http://hawtymcbloggy.com/2008/09/08/type-32-not-so-rapid-assault-vehicle/

If you look long enough there's a full build on it here in the forums. Maybe someone will have better luck than me.

Cheers,

Kensai

I remember that topic too! Just not the name, so I'm no help I guess.

If you don't plan to drive the thing around, you should use that old Mythbusters method of lifting it off the ground using leaf blowers and clear plastic bags (not sure exactly what was used, sorry). It should hold up the Ghost quite a bit off the ground if it's light enough, so use the lightest frame and materials you can possibly find. If you plan to make it move, though, you'll need wheels of some sort to get it rolling.

Actually I was thinking clear wheels with one on the two on the front and one on the back of the underside that way it will look like it's off the ground and give the effect unless someone looks close enough under it to tell. I will search the net and see if I can find the topic about the Ghost if I can I'll post it here.

Nintendude said:
Actually I was thinking clear wheels with one on the two on the front and one on the back of the underside that way it will look like it's off the ground and give the effect unless someone looks close enough under it to tell. I will search the net and see if I can find the topic about the Ghost if I can I'll post it here.

If you can find clear wheels (that swivel or turn, obviously), then that'd be even better.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
If you can find clear wheels (that swivel or turn, obviously), then that'd be even better.

This. Ride it backwards. I don't think it has been suggested already.

I have plans that I know WILL work for making the ghost a hovercraft

Here are the plans

I've done this hovercraft for a science project and it worked really well.

Now since I'm assuming the width of the head of the ghost is 5-6 ft, you can simply scale those plans down to a 2 ft diameter piece of circular wood, and the 6 holes you cut in the plastic to 1 in.

(looking at it now it looks bigger, maybe 10-11 feet, but the same scaling may apply)

Build the frame so you can see how big you need the hover plates

[attachment=13829:ghost1.jpg]

This one shows where to mount the hover-plates (above)

[attachment=13830:ghost2.jpg]

This one shows a design for a hover plate (above) (BTW make the holes equidistant and all the same size (I had trouble drawing them correctly))

[attachment=13831:ghost3.jpg]

Just for fun =D (above)

PM me if you have specific questions (heck, just post here so others can see)

EDIT

I just thought about propulsion. Two leaf blowers on either side should do it, turn them on/off to turn

This leaf blower is good for both holding up and propulsion. So you would need 2 for propulsion and 3 for holding it up (you may be able to split the airflow from one into two channels, but I'm not sure how to make sure each channel has the same amount of air traveling through it)

So you need 5 blowers (4 minumum).

Also that is the blower I used for my hovercraft and it held at least 250 lbs (never actually maxed it out)

ComputerGeek: Thanks for your input, I have found it exceptionally helpful while drawing up some plans on PAINT.

Boba Fett: Seems like everyone is coming up with the same sort of idea, plastered all over the net in different places, so I'm going to believe this works and give that a go.

Everyone else: thanks for your inputs so far, and I'm glad I have the 405th to turn to if my think-tank starts running on empty.

Hopefully below are the plans I've drawn up. They're far from finished, and I will be adding to them and re-posting it as I do in this thread, however, feel free to check out what I have so far, and let me know what you reckon.

P.S. I'm putting some though into how I'm going to be able to control it once I've built it, and again, computergeeks idea of using 2 leafblowers to direct and move it is looking pretty good, one concealed in each wing, perhaps. ONE FLAW in this idea, however, is how I'm going to actually STOP it while I'm on it, as it will probably be used in the center of town, and there are A LOT of old people where I live, so I need to be able to avoid hitting them at all costs.

PAINTPlan.jpg

Here is my plan, feel free to download and copy it if you wish.

Ok, got a little more done since the last post. I've added a little more written detail to the pic, so the newer one will follow this writing. Hopefully this won't cost too much to make, seeing as I'm planning on using MDF wood for the basic size and shape, also for the 'hover pads'. MDF will also be used to make 'housing boxes' for all electronics, so that when I fill the body with expanding foam after I have meshed out the body shape, it won't interfere with the electronics. (Meaning obviously that I have to buy the chair, 4 leaf-blowers, and a generator to power it all, along with the meshing, an probably a lot of expaning foam.) I'll be using a rechargeable generator for the power supply, which will be kept in the nose. The generator will need to supply power to the chair, for the gun noises, L.E.D.s in the guns (hopefully), and 4 Leaf-Blowers, one situated in the nose, one in the tail, and one in each wing for steering. Unfortuneately, the stopping is still bewildering me, as is how to keep it floating in place without a rider.

On a bonus note, I live right next door to a school, so perhaps they will let me test it on their playground, seeing as I'm going to need A LOT of space to figure out how easy it is to turn it and so on.

Without further adue, however, here are the updated plans thus far:

PAINTPlanMKII.jpg

Still need to work out the scale of everything based on the size of the chair, so full dimensions of a 'real ghost' would be great, as I can scale it down around the chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back