Pdf To Pdo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareyes

Hey guys,

Not sure how many of you guys do your pepakura stuff by putting into PDF format first, then printing out and constructing the models but I was wondering: Is there any way to convert a PDF to PDO? I know for sure you can do it the other way around (PDO to PDF) but the file of the model I have is PDF but I'd much prefer to workability (for me anyway) of PDO. For example, PDF files are pretty unclear as to what the finished model's size will be (unless you already know from seeing it assembled somewhere else or by someone else) whereas PDO's can give you a measurement. It is because of things like this that I don't think it's possible, but if it is someone please enlighten me :).

Also, assuming that my hunch is correct and it is impossible to convert, does anyone have PDO files for the Metal Gear Mk. II? I know this isn't related to halo and it's also a request (which should go in the request thread) but hey, it's a two-question thread post haha.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh and also, of course, if it's the wrong section Mods feel free to move it.

I don't know of a program that does PDF to PDO but I belive there is one that does PDO to PDF but it is complicated I used it once and I did'nt like it, can't remember the name I think Belakor may know what it's called but I can't remember.

I think you'll find its near impossible.

PDO is pretty much a 3d model format.

PDF doesn't contain enough information to recreate that 3d model.

so basically.. not a chance.

Hm, that's what I thought. Well, looks like I'm on the look out now for a Mk. II pepakura file =\. I don't think one even exists yet, guh!

Thanks for your input.

EFFalcon said:
I think you'll find its near impossible.

PDO is pretty much a 3d model format.

PDF doesn't contain enough information to recreate that 3d model.

so basically.. not a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as has been said there's no real way to convert a PDF to PDO. I think I know the PDF file you're talking about, there would be a 3D model but the only way to get it would be to ask the author and see if they are willing to release it.

I've actually been looking at modeling the Mk II for a while but have never had good enough references, since I don't own the game (or a PS3), but I think I might be able to use the PDF as reference for building my own... I'll see if I can get some time tonight and have a go :)

Edit: PDF to PDO is technically possible, it's just a hassle :p

screenshot20091207at834.png

Hey Belakor, what program is that? It looks pretty interesting!! Hassle or not, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Christmas break is coming up and I can't allow my mind to go stale :p. Let me know man, it looks really promising!

Belakor said:
Yeah, as has been said there's no real way to convert a PDF to PDO. I think I know the PDF file you're talking about, there would be a 3D model but the only way to get it would be to ask the author and see if they are willing to release it.

I've actually been looking at modeling the Mk II for a while but have never had good enough references, since I don't own the game (or a PS3), but I think I might be able to use the PDF as reference for building my own... I'll see if I can get some time tonight and have a go :)

Edit: PDF to PDO is technically possible, it's just a hassle :p

screenshot20091207at834.png

How I convert .pdo to pdf is I run it through a program called cutepdf. It is essentially a virtual "printer" running ghostscript. Technically, I suppose one could try to convert a pdf file to a dxf file and then reconstruct it in SW or another modeling program.

I'm not really sure how that would work though.... (however, Belakor is the guy to talk to about such things.) (which you already did.)

Cheers!!!

jareyes said:
Hey Belakor, what program is that? It looks pretty interesting!! Hassle or not, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Christmas break is coming up and I can't allow my mind to go stale :p. Let me know man, it looks really promising!

That's Solidworks, not a cheap way to do 3D modeling unless you're a student that can get the discount ;) Other software may be able to do something similar though.

What I did was to trace the outlines of the PDF (a screencap) so I could use that to generate measurements:

Then transferred those measurements to 3D sketches:

Then extruded that out

and added details and stuff

The hardest part of it all is picturing the 2D drawing in 3D, it might actually be easier to build the PDF papercraft and have that on hand for all the angles.

Sweeeeeeeet deal. Thanks again Belakor, I'll be giving that a try in two weeks when all my exams are all tidied up. and yeah, don't worry I can get solidworks. In fact... I'm... "getting it" right now...

Will let you know as soon as (slow) progress unfolds!

Belakor said:
That's Solidworks, not a cheap way to do 3D modeling unless you're a student that can get the discount ;) Other software may be able to do something similar though.

What I did was to trace the outlines of the PDF (a screencap) so I could use that to generate measurements:

Then transferred those measurements to 3D sketches:

Then extruded that out

and added details and stuff

The hardest part of it all is picturing the 2D drawing in 3D, it might actually be easier to build the PDF papercraft and have that on hand for all the angles.

Hi! I am also having trouble. I was looking for some arc trooper files and I found some but they were some PDF. I asked the guy that made them what to do and he said rewrite from .pdf to .pdo Idk how to do that, can somebody help?

Hi! I am also having trouble. I was looking for some arc trooper files and I found some but they were some PDF. I asked the guy that made them what to do and he said rewrite from .pdf to .pdo Idk how to do that, can somebody help?

Hey there! Before we begin, I'd like to remind you of the rules regarding thread revival, or 'necroposting'. Please check the date of the previous post before hitting your own - if a thread has been inactive for more than three months, please reconsider posting in it, and instead, try to find a more active and relevant thread to ask your question in. In your case, the Pepakura Requests thread may be more relevant.

In answer to your question, however: I'm personally unaware of any process that would allow you to convert a PDF to a PDO document. However, it's quite likely you'd be able to find the original PDO file by doing some diligent hunting or perhaps making a request HERE instead.

Good hunting, and good luck with your build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back