Release Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. I would go with a proper release agent, less risk of ruining your mold.

What kind of mold are you talking about? If you are making a plaster mold of a clay sculpture, then yes, spray a coat of Krylon Crystal Clear aerosol spray onto the clay. Then let it dry, and then start making your dividing wall and mold. That coat will help with releasing/getting the clay out of the mold, and cleaning the mold. However if you are talking about making a mold from a bondoed or pepped armor piece, then I have no idea.

Hope this helps,

Super-Ang

Super-Ang said:
What kind of mold are you talking about? If you are making a plaster mold of a clay sculpture, then yes, spray a coat of Krylon Crystal Clear aerosol spray onto the clay. Then let it dry, and then start making your dividing wall and mold. That coat will help with releasing/getting the clay out of the mold, and cleaning the mold. However if you are talking about making a mold from a bondoed or pepped armor piece, then I have no idea.

Hope this helps,

Super-Ang

Yah, a bondoed or pep peice sounds about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altair651 said:
Yah, a bondoed or pep peice sounds about right.

Sorry, can't be much of a help there, not much experience in the pep/bondo area. What material are you going to make the mold out of? I might be able to give some pointers if I know what you are going to be working with.

Super-Ang

Super-Ang said:
Sorry, can't be much of a help there, not much experience in the pep/bondo area. What material are you going to make the mold out of? I might be able to give some pointers if I know what you are going to be working with.

Super-Ang

Its called ''PMC 121/30 Dry'' from smooth-on. And I have a question for troubleis1983 about the cooking spray. Does it go on evenly like spraypaint, and do you apply it to the outside of the helmet before using the molding rubber, and on the inside of the mold before casting? What kind do you use, and does it dry nice and evenly to, if it even dries at all?

Why would you use something that expensive? I am not sure if that is necessary for making a mold of a bondoed pep. I generally use latex with a plaster or fiberglass supporting shell. Latex and the fiberglass/plaster are way cheaper and IMO easier to use. They can be used on clay, but I am not sure about the bondo, although I would guess so since bondo is waterproof, right? I have also read from others on 405th that have used the fiberglass/plaster and latex method, and then casted with Smooth-On into that. I got a gallon of latex from this website http://www.monstermakers.com/product/Mask-Latex-for-Black-Masks.html for much cheaper than the equivalent size of that Smooth-On stuff. IMO smooth-on is a rip-off, and everyone should definitely research for cheaper alternatives.

Sorry for that link being to the bat black latex, its what I used for my batman costume. If you search RD-407 latex on the monster makers website you should find the stuff that is white-yellow and can be painted/dyed.

Also, the cooking spray is going to be oil-based, and therefore it wont dry. Plus, with a release you dont really want something that dries into the bondoed armor.

Hope this helps,

Super-Ang

If I could make a recommendation, you should try Rebound 25 silicone rubber or Dragonskin rubber (both from Smooth-On) to make your mold. It's what a lot of the members use here, and they're both brush-on rubbers that retain a lot of detail, and don't need much release agent (I believe a kit from theengineerguy.com comes with some so you can try the stuff out on the cheap). I don't think I've heard of PMC so I can't say anything about it at the moment.

As for release agent, I hate to say it, but it's better to spend the extra cash on a proper release agent. You definitely don't want your molding materials ruined, if for nothing besides the cost of it all.

And as for the piece you're molding, try finding some non-sulfur based clay to smooth out any inward-facing edges that have cracks or roughness, it'll make your casts come out much cleaner. It's also good for adding last-minute small details before you cover your part in molding materials..

That's all I've got right now. Try emailing Adam or PMing any of the active Mods, most have a lot of experience with molding and would love to point you in the right direction. :)

I've always used vaseline as a mold release, works great for bondo, resins, and plaster. But as was mentioned earlier, cooking spray would work well too.

I have used paste car wax to make fiberglass molds of fiberlass parts. Rub on the wax, let dry to a haze, and polish it off, repaet two more times. I've never made any silicone molds though.

Ok this is a urethane rubber, so is vaseline ok to use? If so, what are the ''exact'' specifications to applying the release agent on my piece? And would I apply the rubber on when the release agent is wet? If so would it be safe to apply the rubber on with a brush? Or would this just wipe away the release agent? And while your at it, would I need to apply the release agent on the rubber when I am about to make the mother mold? And in the mold itself when I am about to make the cast? And would a release agent ruin the physical properties of the mold? Basically would it leave any bumps, or ridges anywhere? :)

Contact the place where you bought this stuff.

We're not at your service, especially if you don't name the rubber in question. Or just google it.

LastSpartan said:
We're not at your service, especially if you don't name the rubber in question

Actually...

Its called ''PMC 121/30 Dry'' from smooth-on

He did. But still, contact whoever you bought it from and ask what would be best.

Okay missed that. Then, if it's from Smooth-on, should be even easier to find what release agent you should use.

Don't take it badly Altair651, but we're not smooth-on employees. They'll just help you better than most of the people here. And even if you use a release agent, use clear coat underneath it, just as a sealent.

Altair651 said:
Ok this is a urethane rubber, so is vaseline ok to use? If so, what are the ''exact'' specifications to applying the release agent on my piece? And would I apply the rubber on when the release agent is wet? If so would it be safe to apply the rubber on with a brush? Or would this just wipe away the release agent? And while your at it, would I need to apply the release agent on the rubber when I am about to make the mother mold? And in the mold itself when I am about to make the cast? And would a release agent ruin the physical properties of the mold? Basically would it leave any bumps, or ridges anywhere? Srry for practically saying the same thing twice, this is just a more detailed list of my expectations. :)

Did you just skipped the 3 last comments? Stop trying to be cheap, it'll be more expensive in the long run to start over because you skipped the release agent part.

LastSpartan said:
Did you just skipped the 3 last comments? Stop trying to be cheap, it'll be more expensive in the long run to start over because you skipped the release agent part.

What you just said was very confusing and didnt really make sense to me, you may want to check your spelling. P.S. Your not allowed to double post. Plus I would still like to know the answer to the question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back