Nightvision In Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually a pretty good idea, albeit it only works with the Mk-VI.

You could do with 4 of the IR LEDs for illumination, and gut an old video camera that had night vision capabilities and use it to make yourself a cheap-o night vision system.

Although, how you'd stuff that in to a helmet is beyond me.

Hello All,

This is what I was going to try to fit it in a helm.

diagram%20100.JPG

Stilgar

see i think it'd be better if you could get that Sony flex screen and make it so it has night vision and you could also use it for other thing like to watch a video and stuff i think there was a post about it on here

Bobaboo said:
So can you use the REd/blue technique with a colored visor? or would it be too dark to see through?

With enough infrared LED's, it should work just fine. And the visor has to be made out of the correct red and blue lenses.

WARNING: in daylight, with infrared goggles, looking at the sun for just a few seconds WILL cause permanent eye damage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chevysrule said:
With enough infrared LED's, it should work just fine. And the visor has to be made out of the correct red and blue lenses.

WARNING: in daylight, with infrared goggles, looking at the sun for just a few seconds WILL cause permanent eye damage!

Well I understand that, but I what I'm asking if i can Have gold tint on top of the color. I would like to have a gold viosr, but still be able to use the Red/blue IR

Bobaboo said:
Well I understand that, but I what I'm asking if i can Have gold tint on top of the color. I would like to have a gold viosr, but still be able to use the Red/blue IR

It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque. But keeping in mind that it will be night time as well, you may want to double check before going nuts.

Personally, I just mounted my MW2 goggles in front of my visor :)

Sithslayer78 said:
It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque. But keeping in mind that it will be night time as well, you may want to double check before going nuts.

Personally, I just mounted my MW2 goggles in front of my visor :)

Well I only bought the regular edition of mw2, the night vision doesn't appeal to me that much (by itself) I don't think I would use it much anyways if I had it put in my helmet (even during Halloween the areas I go around are fairly well lit)

Sithslayer78 said:
It depends on the tint of the R/B colored sheets you are using and how tinted your visor is. Its like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. if theyr'e not that tinted, you can see straight through. If they are, then its opaque.

I have some IR goggles already made, with the red/blue lenses and everything. They turn people into shadows. If I look at regular lights, all I see is the filaments, which appear colored purple. I don't have a gold lens, but I am pretty sure that combining one with those goggles would make everything opaque, even bright lights.

One thing you could do is use a small disposable CVS camcorder, and a old camcorder's view finder. All lower end cameras can see IR, (such as the CVS cam, your cellphone cam, and probably your digital point and shoot cam), so rip apart the cvs and attach the camcorder's view finder to the screen.

That's my .02 for getting the LCD screen viewable without giving yourself a migraine...

Hello all,

A friend of mine that in the optical field, says that just go with the gold visors as normal and only use the red (IR) filter over the actual cam lens. just remember not to look at the sun or heat lamps, they put out a huge amount of IR.

Stilgar

Hey all. I just stumbled on to this topics and I wanted to add my two cents.

I have been researching this for my custom odst build for some time now. The first thing I wanted to point out is that the red/blue lens filter doesn't work to help you see night vision.

Apparently the human eye can NOT detect IR light waves unless they are picked up and displayed though some type of electronic device. So basically those Red/Blue nightvision video tuts are a bust. I know its sucks. I was actually thinking about using that idea too.

So after learning about that I thought about any other way to make it work.

First thought was to use something like the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy or the COD Modern Warfare 2 Night Vision toy and just gut the thing and adapting it to my helmet.

by some how mounting the LCD Screen inside and then the camera and IR leds somewhere out side.

The thing you have to keep in mind here is the camera placement because if its too far in front or to the side of your your face, your depth perception will be off.

I saw a lot of reviews for both of these toys and the all said your depth perception is off when you wear them.

Also along with depth perception problem you have to worry about being able to focus on the the LCD screen so close to your face.

Second idea was to get a cheap or old digital camera and try to gut it, remove the IR filter from the lens and mount it like the first idea. But you run into the same problems.

Third and last idea was to get a micro projector mount it to the inside top part of your helmet and coat the inside of your visor with something reflective. Connect an expeternal camera and there you go. You have a sick HUD but with the same issues as before. Lol

Let me know if you guys find any solutions to these issues.

Hello All,

As Kirrou stated, using the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy is a bad idea, it only has 1 LCD in it, Many of my friends believe, because of the vertigo and depth perception caused by the toy, is why they made the new one with 2 LCD in it, I have had the chance to play with the new one, and the problems are greatly decreased, I also see that its not the same image in both LCD, the left one is slightly different, possibly to help with depth perception.

Also, going with the mini cam idea, you have the option of connecting a recorder so others can see what you see.

I remember the reflector I used was a piece of lexan with a light smoke tint, it was almost clear.

Stilgar

Stilgar Hammer said:
Hello All,

As Kirrou stated, using the Eyeclopes Night Vision toy is a bad idea, it only has 1 LCD in it, Many of my friends believe, because of the vertigo and depth perception caused by the toy, is why they made the new one with 2 LCD in it, I have had the chance to play with the new one, and the problems are greatly decreased, I also see that its not the same image in both LCD, the left one is slightly different, possibly to help with depth perception.

Also, going with the mini cam idea, you have the option of connecting a recorder so others can see what you see.

I remember the reflector I used was a piece of lexan with a light smoke tint, it was almost clear.

Stilgar

Lol I was looking at the links you put up and both the camera and the LCD look like they would work and would be fairly easy to put together. I also saw the sketch of the reflector diagram it looks like a great idea. I just had a question about reflection, how did you manage to flip the image so the reflection would show the correct display and not just a backwards mirrored image of what you wear actually seeing.

You said you built one before so how was the depth perception and where did you mount the camera?

The LCD was place facing down, with the bottom edge to the front. The cam was placed facing forward and in the middle of the forehead. The particular LCD I got, I was able to get a schematic for it, and a TV repair friend was able to flip the image on the screen from left to right by re-soldering a part in it.

You could do the same by placing the cam facing upward with a mirror facing forward.

The depth perception was not a issue until you try to pick something up, it seemed a bit farther away.

Stilgar

Stilgar Hammer said:
The LCD was place facing down, with the bottom edge to the front. The cam was placed facing forward and in the middle of the forehead. The particular LCD I got, I was able to get a schematic for it, and a TV repair friend was able to flip the image on the screen from left to right by re-soldering a part in it.

You could do the same by placing the cam facing upward with a mirror facing forward.

The depth perception was not a issue until you try to pick something up, it seemed a bit farther away.

Stilgar

Well it definitely looks like something I'll have to test out. To get everything it would be under about 50 bucks which isn't bad i'll probably go this route when I get to that phase in my build. Thanks a lot for the links and the ideas.

I was also thinking that in order to see better, I will probably mount more IR LEDs to other parts of the armor and not limit them to just the helmet. Maybe adding a detachable mount with a series of IR LEDs some where on the armor. I was kind of thinking something like the Predator Shoulder Canon or something like that. Lol but we shall see.

i had a similar idea, except i was just gonna have a camera in the back of my helm and the screen on the visor, so i can see people sneeking up on me :p

but the night vision idea is a cool one, and you would be farther ahed to do a DIY NVG setup than take apart a cyclops NVG toy :p

//Jeremy

I'm thinking this could work if you put an single eye observer kinda thing inside your helm. On and off switches are awesome xD. I think that if you search the net hardcore you could probably get some ideas on how to fully intergrate the visor with a working night vision adapter. I have no idea at the moment but it seems something worth thinking about. Maybe look into military nightvision tech. cause i bet yoiu can make one much cheaper than buying a set of goggles from Slodier of Fortune mag xD. I reckon that if you find a fairly high quality camera with nightvision you could pull it apart. I don't reccomend you do that unless you know what you're doing or else your going to make camera/cam-phone soup xD. Cheers

Stilgar Hammer said:
For paintball I did a HUD (head up display). Using a mini cam, and a 3.5" screen.

here are some links or what I used.

Sorry I don't have pics, I sold the unit a couple years ago.

The system ran off a 9V battery

Stilgar

You have a wiring diagram or schematics? I'd love to recreate some of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back