Nightvision In Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartian

Hello 405th!

I was looking at some video's and review's about this Eyeclops night vision toy and i was wondering if anyone has ever tried taking it apart and putting the small LED screen that comes with it in the corner of a visor on any helmet.

The picture looks pretty good, and the screen not too big. Maybe to give them a little boost the normal LED's on the side of the helmet could be replaced with Infrared LED's.

[attachment=14215:master_chief_costume_helmet5.jpg]

Just an idea. Has anyone tried this before?

hmm that may work never thought about it before I'd love to get one of those gold visors like the one in the pic though.

Good concept Spartian. Haven't seen one myself, but at$90, that seems like an expensive experiment. At least it's cheaper than a night vision baby monitor.

Thanks! I think its definitely worth some effort to try at least.

Hmm.... just think of how useful it would be.....

[attachment=14218:$ne.jpg]

Wont work. Try drawing a stick figure on a piece of paper the size of your screen, and hold it up to where the visor is. You wont be able to focus on it. They only way to focus on something that close is something like the MyVue(i think it is) video glasses. Of course, if you go that route, after night time, youll have to take them off, OR, try and mod the glasses to be semi transparent for daytime work.

drgon47 said:
Wont work. Try drawing a stick figure on a piece of paper the size of your screen, and hold it up to where the visor is. You wont be able to focus on it. They only way to focus on something that close is something like the MyVue(i think it is) video glasses. Of course, if you go that route, after night time, youll have to take them off, OR, try and mod the glasses to be semi transparent for daytime work.

ah good point drgon I did'nt think of that till you said it the MyVue is probably cheaper anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartian said:
Thanks! I think its definitely worth some effort to try at least.

Hmm.... just think of how useful it would be.....

[attachment=14218:$ne.jpg]

But if you think of that placement, would you be able to see it? Can you read text within 3 inches of your face? It's a cool concept, but I don't think it will work.

I'm sorry if I shot down your idea, but I'm just trying to save you some mulla. :D

EDIT: Darnit, you guys got to telling him first. :p

Indeed it is not. MyVu Crystal is near as makes no difference, $300. How badly do you want night vision.

Well, I actually think it may work, but only if the person wearing the helmet is short sighted to some degree. It'll help them focus on the screen.

MstrMarine, I actually can read text 3 inches in front of my face, but it may be due to short sightedness like I mentioned. Last time I went to the optometrist I was told to wear glasses for anything more than 3 metres away (about 10 feet), but I can read road signs fine

well it also depends on the focus'ing of the eyevue... I have a set of the HeadPlay HMD's that I bought to integrate into my Briareos Helmet once it ever gets finished and mini spy cam too for one of the front lenses anyways I can adjust the focus,.. true mine covers both eyes but you should check and see what kind of focusing the display has,.. and I've seen those for as cheap as $50 @ wallyworld here (the Eyeclops) I contemplated getting them for the same reason..then I went w/ this rudely more expensive system I just got a IR/Color Spycam instead (the cams the cheap part waaay cheaper) then the HMD.. but now I'm thinking how I could mount that for effect on the side of my space marine helm as part of the Techmarine eyepiece I'll have to do some investigating and get back to you

A guy named Kipkay for MAKE magazine makes night vision for cheap. you can just google "kipkay night vision" and you will get a few videos on it.you would probabally be able to fit it into the helmet well.

Gizmologist said:
A guy named Kipkay for MAKE magazine makes night vision for cheap. you can just google "kipkay night vision" and you will get a few videos on it.you would probabally be able to fit it into the helmet well.

was that the red/blue lens?

Hey all, this is also my current science project at school... I already have some built infrared goggles in my room, and have a few infrared flashlights in the mail.

amancue said:
was that the red/blue lens?

Yes, Kipkay did make his IR goggles with congo red and primary blue light filters.

one thing to remember, unless you have something that is active nightvision i think gen 3, normal daylight will kill it. most kid toys ave a passive type that requires IR light, but is using a standard B/W camer with the IR filter removed.

you can do this to your helmet, but one question is how will you view it? are you going to have a 1 eye H.U.D? i would love to do this, but i think it is way out of my range. maybe someone who is a competent engineer could design something

I have an idea. I had an old sunvisor from China went i went there to visit family, and i used it to make my ODST visor. Here it is:

1017091807.jpg

Now as you can see, the visor has a pair of attachable sunglasses. However, these sunglasses are able to slide up with the sliding knob. perhaps you could rig the color gels to a similar sunglass rig as used in the visor inside your helmet? using the video above:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2071116/how_to_make_night_vision_glasses/

PS you may also want to consider if the tint from your visor will at all impede the night vision. Or, the visor may be too dark to see through when you are using the color transparent sheets. (the "double sunglasses" effect"

Hello All,

For paintball I did a HUD (head up display). Using a mini cam, and a 3.5" screen.

here are some links or what I used.

IR LEDS

Mini Cam

screen

Sorry I don't have pics, I sold the unit a couple years ago.

The system ran off a 9V battery

Stilgar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back