Smoooth-On Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amancue

has anyone used Smooth-on's ShellShock?

Smooth-On ShellShock

it seems like it'd be ideal for a fiberglass replacement... and less work then roto-slushing,.. just brush on let it set and instand plastisized walls?

*EDIT*

So I just got off the Phone w/ Reynolds Advanced Materials and I think it will indeed suit my purposes so I ordered a batch it will be here in a few days

then the real fun begins

I've used it, and it will indeed brush on. It's a little free flowing, and it will slowly run off. You'll still need to turn the piece some to keep it in place. I was using it for a support shell over a flexible mold, and the trouble I had with it was getting it in a smooth even layer, because it tends to run into low spots and of high points. I suggest you try a very small amount, like a dixie cup full, until you understand it better.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Awesomeness said:
I've used it, and it will indeed brush on. It's a little free flowing, and it will slowly run off. You'll still need to turn the piece some to keep it in place. I was using it for a support shell over a flexible mold, and the trouble I had with it was getting it in a smooth even layer, because it tends to run into low spots and of high points. I suggest you try a very small amount, like a dixie cup full, until you understand it better.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Would you say it is better or worse than smooth cast 305? Because I am currently in contact with a supplier who has both. This is for casting purposes, they both have very little shrinkage but it seems that the shell shock only requires one layer rather than many multiple layers of smooth cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just different. When you mix the Shell Shock, it starts to get thicker. At first it's runny like a melted milkshake or paint, then it starts to get thicker and gooey. After just a couple minutes it's like jelly or thick cream of wheat. But even when it's thickening, it's still able to run off, like cold honey. So even though you can get a spoonful and slap it on, it will settle or run in a minute, if you're not careful. (Sorry for all the food references, just trying to give you a good idea.)

I didn't like it at all for making support shells. As a matter of fact I have the whole $80 1-gal kit sitting in the garage, because I immediately stopped using it.

I would say get a trial size and try it. You won't be able to just pour it in and roll it around, so you're going to have to use a brush or paint stir stick to spoon it in. You'll probably need to do it in small disposable-cup sized batches, because it thickens up and becomes unusable in about 7-10 min., and you're going to want to give yourself a little time with what you use to get it in evenly and smooth. After you get it in there, it will probably settle some and smooth out, and won't run too bad if you keep turning it.

Awesomeness said:
It's just different. When you mix the Shell Shock, it starts to get thicker. At first it's runny like a melted milkshake or paint, then it starts to get thicker and gooey. After just a couple minutes it's like jelly or thick cream of wheat. But even when it's thickening, it's still able to run off, like cold honey. So even though you can get a spoonful and slap it on, it will settle or run in a minute, if you're not careful. (Sorry for all the food references, just trying to give you a good idea.)

I didn't like it at all for making support shells. As a matter of fact I have the whole $80 1-gal kit sitting in the garage, because I immediately stopped using it.

I would say get a trial size and try it. You won't be able to just pour it in and roll it around, so you're going to have to use a brush or paint stir stick to spoon it in. You'll probably need to do it in small disposable-cup sized batches, because it thickens up and becomes unusable in about 7-10 min., and you're going to want to give yourself a little time with what you use to get it in evenly and smooth. After you get it in there, it will probably settle some and smooth out, and won't run too bad if you keep turning it.

Iven never tried the smooth cast 305, does that run a lot as well or does it seem to be able to leave a reasonable amount on the almost vertical edges?

Last edited by a moderator:
By itself 305 is pretty thin, like chocolate milk. It won't leave much more than a "wetting" on the inside. But I think a lot of the guys here put thickening agent in it, to cause it to thicken up and stick better. I've only ever used it straight, without the thixotropic additive. I actually prefer 265, because it's clear and you can color it.

Smooth-On actually makes a casting material especially for roto-casting, cleverly called Smooth-Cast ROTO. I haven't really read about people here using it, and I'm not sure why. I'm sure someone has, but I haven't. Personally, if I was going to be rotationally casting something, I would start with this product, since it's designed by experts, exactly for that purpose.

ROTO is a nice material, I prefer it over 300 simply because it is in my opinion, tougher in thin sections... it has a little bit of flex to it (just enough to not make it not as brittle in thin sections) Don't let the name fool you, yes it is an awesome roto cast material but you can also use it the same as you would smooth-cast 300... Smooth-On also offers another rotocast material called Task 15 http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1157/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back