Q's About Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if i'm wrong... is rondo like 50% bondo + 50% polyester resin?

what hardener will i use? the bondo here in the Philippines also has a hardener...

do i have to mix the bondo with its hardener then add the resin with the resin hardener?

mathematically speaking, i have made a conclusion of:

rondo = (bondo + bondo hardener)50% + (resin + resin hardener)50%

is that correct? or i'll use the resin hardener only?

thanks guys...

I have heard of it both ways so I'm not fully sure myself there is a tutorial somewhere for the rondo preparation but not sure where.

yeah you got i right. scoop out some bondo, add some bondo hardner, but dont mix yet, then pour

on some resin, add your resin harder to the mix, and then start mixing. and the % you add depends

on how runny you want it to be, if you want a thin coat hen add more resin, or want it thicker more

bondo. but 50/50 is a good mix. an for a tip dont add too much bondo hardner, the more hardner you

add the faster it will set the hotter it will get, and when it gets super hot it tends to warp

in the thicker spots. but also check out the sticky for it

EDIT- http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8253 heres the topic on it. should help

thanks guys for the help... tomorrow i'll be rondoing my hayabusa helm.. but only on the problem areas like the spike... the rest i'd be fiberglassing them..

Some people also suggest not bothering with the fiberglass hardener, and just using 2x Bondo hardener. I'll check, but I think they may be the same chemicals anyway.

I've also heard not bothering with the bondo hardener and just using two times the amount of resin hardener. It works really well, but it will get incredibly hot (enough to melt some types of plastics like mixing cups). Even through thick, black rubber gloves, I'm still able to feel a significant amount of heat. So be careful, but it does work.

Using only one of the hardeners allows you to mix the bondo and resin as much as you like before adding the hardener. That gives you more time to get the consistency you want.

I've used regular latex gloves to do bondo work with at first it was a crazy idea but it was'nt that hot to me, it was like having a icy hot patch on my hand but I think from now on I'll use thicker gloves, and thanks for the tip Malechei

Nintendude said:
I've used regular latex gloves to do bondo work with at first it was a crazy idea but it was'nt that hot to me, it was like having a icy hot patch on my hand but I think from now on I'll use thicker gloves, and thanks for the tip Malechei

This is rondo, not bondo by itself...

Last edited by a moderator:
if i use 2x the hardener of resin, will that hasten the solidification of rondo? if its in that case... i must be quick in applying rondo all over my helmet...

What I've found is that just going port and starboard with the Hardeners works better than eyeballing out two amounts of hardener. Just use resin hardener once (I like it more, it gives a smoother look) and then Bondo hardener next time. And i'd be generous with the hardeners, you can always buy more, but sloppy or super slow solidifying mud is potentially the most annoying thing dealt with to date.

Enjoy and good luck!

I use rondo inside the pep parts in a process called mud glassing. For rondo, don't bother with the putty hardener that comes with the bondo. Just use the liquid hardener that comes with the fibreglass resin and double the amount you would use for just resin. It makes for a smoothe finish, but can be hard to sand. I recommend checking out the mudglassing vid tutorial. It will help you out a lot. You can also check my Reach wip to see kinda how it works. Hope that helps. If you have any questions you can fire me a PM. Good luck! If you are going to rondo the outside, I recommend using painters tape to section off the areas you are going to rondo so that it isn't running all over the helm. And I recommend using a very small amount to start with so you can get the feel of it. Small batches are generally a better idea anyway. Good luck! Hope it turns out, looking forward to seeing some pics!

There is another mix called Duraflex that uses the fiberglass resin and another chemical but I haven't gotten the mix down quite yet. As soon as I do I'll post it.

im going to use it on the inside.. im building a hayabusa helm and i need to reinforce the spikes, but i cant get inside those so im doing rondo for the spikes... hope it'll turn out well...

If the spikes aren't solid use a basic insulating foam that can be purchased from a hardware store to fill it in. Then Rondo the outside of the spikes.

That I'm unsure of. The extent of my fiberglassing skills goes is glassing body parts for race cars. Other than that I have no idea. If you want it to be light use the foam on the inside of the spikes then resin them on the outside. If the Rondo is lighter than the foam or roughly the same weight use the Rondo.

im also thinking of slushing it around the spikes... after ive fiberglassed the inside of the helm to cover the ones that didnt have fiberglass on.

raziel1981 said:
if i use 2x the hardener of resin, will that hasten the solidification of rondo? if its in that case... i must be quick in applying rondo all over my helmet...

Well Yes, But it may get incredibly Hot!!! I'd just take the time and wait.

raziel1981 said:
im thinking of filling the spikes with rondo? any thoughts bout that? would that work?

It should work, but Rondo is kind of Brittle, so when you sand it you may be running the risk of snapping/breaking something.

Last edited by a moderator:
i see, in that case, i'll be careful when sanding the spikes coz it might break... hmmm... any thoughts of an alternative into reiforcing those spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back