Unsc Frigate Wall Plaque Foam Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i was bored at work today so i had a look through the art of halo 3 book and saw the image of the ship UNSC Andraste, i imediately thought that it looked cool, for those who have the book its on page 37.

so at the moment i am making the main inner body of it, this is the main structure in the middle, its very fiddly. i am scaling it down so it will be about 65 cm in length. it will then fit on a custom plaque which will hold it, its not the complete ship just a half of it but still 3d, just imagine if someone cut it in 2 with a very big saw.

i hope to cut all the pieces within the week with pictures as i go through, i will need help with the moulding as i do not have the correct equipment. i use foam board that some may not like but it allows me to use it easily. if you are interested in moulding this when its done let me know and i will send you a sample of the foam board to see if it can be moulded. each section will be 5 mm thick so to get the 3d effect the pieces will be stacked and then sanded to look good. as some parts of the ship are sticking out you see why layering is best with this foam board at first.

as the sides of foam are exposed i will be covering the ends with milliput modeling putty to set hard and leave a neutral layer so it should not react with the moulding material.

i hope to get this finished soon as i will be naming the first ship UNSC BUNGIE and engraving the names of each member of the halo team onto the ship, and then if they want it they can have it.

should look cool when finished, as i said i will be putting photos on when i have done some more, i will put one on tonight of my current progress. please ask questions and get in touch if you thibk you can help,

thanks and await your comments,

oh, and one more think, for the moulding can i have members from the uk only as postage costs and time delays between the uk and the states is not good, thanks

oo that would look cool! well al depends on the angle that is... was thinking of doing something like this from in game... these are from the multiplayer map orbital on the stairs.. one has friggates like forward onto dawn the other has a bunch of pillar of autums.

behind these guys

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=66863623

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=68504265

and close ups

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=97470451

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=97470602

and yes in game they have some dimention.

thanks for your reply, i was thinking that no one was going to bother with it, anyway here is a photo of waht i have done, it looks a bit out of proportion as it was free handedly drawn.

what i wanted to do was to make the main structure or centre of it into 1 huge piece and then make a mould of it, from there i would cast it until i get the desired thickness. then again add the detail to it like the shield plates etc.

from there i would then make moulds of the sticking out parts of the ship and agin layer it until the desired effect is made.

so in theory there will be 4 moulds which are flat and basic, just rather large. once all the casting is done i can glue together and fill in all the gaps etc. sand it down and then engrave the fine detail into it like the name etc.

then here is when i make a mould of it and get a perfect version of it. my idea was as halo has been in production for 9 years then i would put everyones name down on it according to the game they did so on the front plate will be halo 1, on the middle will be halo 2 etc, obviously only the key members as there would not be enough space for everyone.

anyway let me know what you think of the pieces at the moment.

just so you can see where this is heading here is a small sketch of the outline of the ship, its slightly different to the one i'm doing as mine is from the halo art book and this is from the orbital level in halo 3

well im copying this one, i have the book so i can scale it up from that. i have also cut it in 2 to show what i am doing for this one, because i will be making moulds of the slices then theoretically i could make the whole ship in 3D but a bit later in the future

For a half display piece, I like the flat version better. In my eyes, the slanted version would be more suitable when making a complete model, where you want it to look life like.

Yeah, the half-display should be parallel to the board it's on. An "honor the fallen" thing, you know? Or a "look at this awesome piece of friendly awesome" thing.

The angled approach is good in its own ways, though.

well the point of it being flat was that i can add lots of detail and that it looks better on a wall.

with it coming out of the plaque, 1 it would be difficult to construct and 2 you would not know where to put it on a wall.

also the good thing about this is if it works then i can make a complete model as i just stick the pieces in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back