Compleat: Deadmau5 Head

Which helmet should it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithslayer78

Alright, so I'm working on a Deadmau5 Head. For those of you who don't know who the hell i am going on about or what this head even looks like, There is a video that was made for his upcoming performance at Ultra. Here it is. (Clicky)

Here are some of my plans, (if you can make any sense of them)

1-26-201093616PM.jpg

And here is the Pepakura I made with a little help from my cousin's clicking and dragging.

Untitled-2copy-3.jpg

LINKY: http://www.4shared.com/file/ZV1dhmm6/sphere.html

I was originally going to just reinforce a rubber ball/beach ball, but I couldnt find one big enough, so screw it.

Feedback/tips are appreciated!

That's so crazy! I'm just starting one for me and a friend as well! You should make the openings in the pep file though, it would make it a lot easier and more accurate.

Alright, I haven't had much time with school and super glue/resin shortage, but with Snowmageddon, I FINALLY had time to work on my Mau5phere. The pepakura was a bit sloppy, but its getting covered in Bondo and velvet anyways :) . I also roughly mapped out where I'm going to be making cuts, so tell me what you think about it! Also, If your'e planning on making one, these sites can be VERY helpful.

http://www.robertdarwin.com/?p=3

http://www.inthemix.com.au/gallery/snap/081007-deadmau5/aad

Anyways, here's what I got.

Inside:

0208000020.jpg

Wearing the sphere:

0207001837.jpg

Mau5phere complete:

0208001213.jpg

Ear Template (tell me what you think about it...

0208001214.jpg

SNOWMAGEDDON!!!

0207001100.jpg

Tell me what you think about it, and Yes, i know the eyes need to be a bit closer...

ears: looks good

only problem that is mouth, just a little to big, lover uper edge by one square ant it will be awsome,

eyes just a little biger

good job man

im gona make my own red head, u inspired me to get listening to mau5

I agree, in the first pic you can see the whole mouth when looking at it straight on. Your mapped out mouth is just a bit too big, bring it in so that the edges of the mouth are couple cm closer and it would be perfect

Alright, Update time! We have been getting EPICLY LUDRICRIOUSLY LARGE amounts of snow, but whenever its sunny and over 35 degrees F, i'm outside working on my helmets! As for the Mau5 head, i've made a lot of progress and hope to have it complete by March 20th, my friend's next "rave". So far, the Mau5phere is resined, and rondo-reinforced, and i believe it is much lighter than an acrylic ball. As for the red-ness, i plan on going to the fabric store and buying some incredibly stretchy velvet and going from there. Im going to make the mouth a bit smaller and cut out bits of it as i go along. I will also have LEDs inside of the eyes and Red LEDs along the top of the mouth.

Artist_117 said:
cool but maybe the ears could be styrofoam? just a thought...

Correct! I had planned on using styrofoam, but got a much better deal when i looked at the supplies I had available. turns out i had a gigantic block of memory foam, so ill use that so if the ears get poked too much, nothing should happen. here are some pics of the ears.

Supplies cut and ready

0213002106.jpg

essential layout

0213002136.jpg

Complete

0216001529.jpg

as for the head itself, i've made the head hole so its as small as possible, and its reinforced. (just needs to be cleaned up a bit.)

0216001501a.jpg

Giedrius said:
ears: looks good

only problem that is mouth, just a little to big, lover uper edge by one square ant it will be awsome,

eyes just a little bigger

I agree on the eyes, and as for the mouth i know the curve needs to be smaller, but the top is right. On Joel's actual head the mouth starts at the equator of the sphere. that is the top of the line on my head. i guess its just the photo perspective/POV, lol. Thanks!

rundown said:
HAHA Wy didnt i think of this :eek

great dj :)

Wow, the legendary Rundown visited my thread! yay! I really like Deadmau5's stuff and my friend holds "raves" and he plays/DJs a LOT of Deadmau5 mixes. I just started listening and now he is one of my favorite artists! BTW, thank you for making that ODST head model, its been really easy to make and very helpful!

Thanks everybody, and I do need Help with ONE thing... I have absolutely NO IDEA on what to use for the eyes. :( whatever i use it needs to be semi transparent so i can install LEDs inside that will be controlled remotely. any ideas/feedback are appreciated. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, It's been like a Month. I Haven't been Working on any of my Projects due to a number of reasons, being Severe hand injury due to Tripping while sprinting to catch a school bus (POIDH? If you must see, here it is. however, it is not for the weak stomach-ed.), Tennis Tryouts and Practice, Homework, and Standardized Tests. D:< I recently got a bit of time to myself, and finally got A LOT done on my Mau5head. HAs usual, (and expected) Here are some Pics.

Workstation with the fully Rondo-ed and Bondo-ed Mau5phere. Wiffleball Eyeball5 Ready for edit.

0322001500.jpg

Covered Ears

0322001545b.jpg

Eyeball5 with and without lights.

0322001545a.jpg

0322001545.jpg

Extra Preliminary Layout:

0322001515.jpg

I got some pretty cheap Stretchy red cloth too! I know, its a bit small, but for my purposes it will suffice.

EDIT: OH! I forgot the random Pic of the Post! Here it is: the super monkey ball banana!

0322000638.jpg

Very nice helm. im not a fan of deadmau5 but i respect any fan who invests on their interests.

oh, and about this (bit of necro, i know, but if you read you might understand)...

Sithslayer78 said:
SNOWMAGEDDON!!!

0207001100.jpg

if you think that is alot of snow... the 07-08 winter in ottawa dumped 432.7 cm / 170.3 inches of snow on us... so consider yourself lucky

also we didnt have a snowblower at the time so guess which only son was shoveling all the snow
dry.gif

sorry if that was off topic but after that year its abit of a sore spot for me having people complain about a little snow:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice.

For the snow in quebec at this time we just have the most snow in the history of the city. It was something like 550cm or 600cm.

Pat

Well, Its been a while since I have been able to work on my Mau5head, but recently I have been able to clear up some time to finish up my Mau5head, and I've been using every ounce of my free time until now, where it appears to be...Compleat. Here are the final stages of construction.

0501001737.jpg

0501001703.jpg

0503002217.jpg

0506001816.jpg

0507001925.jpg

I have also added the complete circuit for the lights. It involves several elements. There is a main overriding switch on the edge of the lip, but the actual controls are in a separate "Control Box". This control box contains three control elements. There is a switch and a button switch, both linked to a potentiometer. The button can do flashes, while the switch can leave the lights constantly on, or the potentiometer can be used to create fade-ins and outs. The cloth gave me some trouble, but I finally found a way to cover the head without too many wrinkles. As for the mouth, I covered it with the mesh I had, but its a tad too spaced, but it will have to suffice. Here is a video demonstration of the light controls. (note that the last part where the switches do not work are because the main lip switch was off)

[Media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJieofkWae0[/media]

The next update will hopefully contain the Mau5head in true action in the environment it was designed for! (assuming no catastrophes occur between now and Saturday) Feedback is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back