How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pink superman cape from Six Flags that would look amazing on that statue. You want it? If you use it though, you must put an industrial fan in front of it for added realism. MUST.

theband9000 said:
Ok, so I was wondering, can you sand rondo or is it too hard. Thanks

yes you can sand rondo

mc hammer time said:
I have a pink superman cape from Six Flags that would look amazing on that statue. You want it? If you use it though, you must put an industrial fan in front of it for added realism. MUST.

If you think I wouldn't do that you are sadly mistaking. :p

Xcon Gaming

4169 Dowlen Rd, Beaumont, TX 77706 ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the procedure for resining guns cant find anything on the forums for my smg.... and do i have to mold it or is there another way??

Dethra said:
what is the procedure for resining guns cant find anything on the forums for my smg.... and do i have to mold it or is there another way??

resin the outside in small batches, then cut a small hole and pour rondo inside to roto cast. Patch the hole and start your detail work. Hope that helps

roto cast? and what would i have to do to mold it... just so i can see which would be easier (this is pretty much my first project)

Dethra said:
roto cast? and what would i have to do to mold it... just so i can see which would be easier (this is pretty much my first project)

to mold it you would still have to do the above statement. This is part of the hardening method. Roto cast means to Rotationally cast with rondo, this is also called slush casting when it only involves side to side movement.

ohhhh ok thanks for clearing that up... and what would i have to do if i wanted to take a reusable mold that i could cast more of than just that one out of??

No, you haven't. Just go back a few pages and you'll see him apply it to the chest piece. btw, he's actually using Smooth-on foam, not expanding foam, just so you know.

Hello Ben, I don't know if you have seen my other posts before but I am making a 6 - 7 foot sword about 2 - 3 feet wide, I am done forming it out of insulation foam and i started to harden it with fiberglass then the sword started to melt, so I was thinking of just redoing the top layer and trying to cast it. I wouldn't mind doing the fiberglass and just bondoing the outside on top of the fiberglass but this sword is getting heavy (with the fiberglass I can barely pick it up anymore, but of course I am a weakling (only 125 pounds)). So I was wondering if I could ask you for some help.

DarkBebi said:
Hello Ben, I don't know if you have seen my other posts before but I am making a 6 - 7 foot sword about 2 - 3 feet wide, I am done forming it out of insulation foam and i started to harden it with fiberglass then the sword started to melt, so I was thinking of just redoing the top layer and trying to cast it. I wouldn't mind doing the fiberglass and just bondoing the outside on top of the fiberglass but this sword is getting heavy (with the fiberglass I can barely pick it up anymore, but of course I am a weakling (only 125 pounds)). So I was wondering if I could ask you for some help.

on something like this I would recommend hardening with dap plaster patcher first, then apply a coat of resin/ rondo, or fiberglass. This will create a layer between the foam you are using and the resin itself. After this yes I would recomend molding the sword and pouring it with Flex foam 3 and a dowel rod center. The rod should be at least 1/2 foot shorter than the sword in all directions to prevent from actually hurting people when. This should make it light enough to wield while at the same time giving you a fun prop to play with. When casting remember to tint your foam, and add some casting powders to metalize the outer appearance.

BenStreeper said:
on something like this I would recommend hardening with dap plaster patcher first, then apply a coat of resin/ rondo, or fiberglass. This will create a layer between the foam you are using and the resin itself. After this yes I would recomend molding the sword and pouring it with Flex foam 3 and a dowel rod center. The rod should be at least 1/2 foot shorter than the sword in all directions to prevent from actually hurting people when. This should make it light enough to wield while at the same time giving you a fun prop to play with. When casting remember to tint your foam, and add some casting powders to metalize the outer appearance.

Awesome Ben, thanks for the tips. How much Flex Foam would you consider I get and should I like box the sword off and then put the flex foam on 1 side turn it around and do the other like how you do it with your helmets? I am going to go get a small video and such to show you the sword I am making and how far I got so far.

Here is the video and picture of the broad legged http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/dothack/images/2/21/Haseo2-1.jpg

I just watched all of the videos on this thread. Parts of this process are easier that I made them out to be, but others are harder. This explained it well enough that I think that I can do this now. I Thank you for all of your help. Do you plan on putting any of your helmets (trophys) in your Hall of Awesome (I mean shop). That would be awesome. You sir have seriously unlocked Badass x2.

Btw After you vacuform a visor what would you cut it with, because it doesn't seem like you can just whip out the ol' x-acto knife and slice away

Also 69 posts (giggity)

jake11124 said:
I just watched all of the videos on this thread. Parts of this process are easier that I made them out to be, but others are harder. This explained it well enough that I think that I can do this now. I Thank you for all of your help. Do you plan on putting any of your helmets (trophys) in your Hall of Awesome (I mean shop). That would be awesome. You sir have seriously unlocked Badass x2.

Btw After you vacuform a visor what would you cut it with, because it doesn't seem like you can just whip out the ol' x-acto knife and slice away

Also 69 posts (giggity)

Yes I plan to mount every helmet in the Hall of Awesome, I actually commissioned LeeKeegan to make me a helmet stand a while back to do just that. As for the visors I use the dremel to cut them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back