How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I plan to mount every helmet in the Hall of Awesome, I actually commissioned LeeKeegan to make me a helmet stand a while back to do just that. As for the visors I use the dremel to cut them out.
Thanks for clearing that up for me

Hey Ben, you get those pep videos done? I've been able to glue the helmets together with relative ease, but I found that it only works if you do it in a certain way. For me I glued left side then switched to right side and back again. Though I don't know if making the entire bottom to top to back portion first helps better. Just like to see your process for it.

Pilot92 said:
Definetly need to make your shop a summer road trip stop

I agree with this man. I don't even play x-box and I am gonna try to find an anime con close to you. Then on the way home I am so gonna stop by your store and say hi and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
OXM_Chase said:
Hey Ben, you get those pep videos done? I've been able to glue the helmets together with relative ease, but I found that it only works if you do it in a certain way. For me I glued left side then switched to right side and back again. Though I don't know if making the entire bottom to top to back portion first helps better. Just like to see your process for it.

sorry I got carried away with building the store, and shot-gunning HaloGoddesses chest piece. I will get back on to videoing in about a week as we are planning to open the store next Friday (fingers crossed)

BenStreeper said:
sorry I got carried away with building the store, and shot-gunning HaloGoddesses chest piece. I will get back on to videoing in about a week as we are planning to open the store next Friday (fingers crossed)

No worries mate. Hope everything goes well for your opening!

hey ben, gratz on the shop. I'm prolly gonna post a vid here soon on how to tint your vac-formed visors. Been working in a auto audio/visual place for a while now, figure i'll see what i can translate over from that, cause clear visors are cool, but not as cool as picking your own color :)

Hey Ben,

I know I told you that I won state for art with the type of nontraditional materials for sculpture. And I know you wanted to see it but sad to say my school has bought my artwork from me. (well not really I got some $$$ to fund more armor now) So in its place, this is the type of work I am doing. Its a painting, not a sculpture, but tell me what you think... PS: its a bad quality photo because its way to big to scan in...

ODST1.jpg

mc hammer time said:
No, you haven't. Just go back a few pages and you'll see him apply it to the chest piece. btw, he's actually using Smooth-on foam, not expanding foam, just so you know.

Ah! Many thanks!

BenStreeper said:
looks kool to me sir

Hey Nice work with all the vids I just watched all the resin and mother mold vids... Was wondering if you did any for the steps after the mother mold to make a cast of the mold, I checked all your topics but didn't see it in any of the titles...Thanks in advanced.

Hey Ben have you put the videos together on pepping? I'm gonna start gluing tomorrow. Good to be back on the site though. I missed this place. :)

Resining in heat and humidity ??

Wow, glad these boards are finally back!

I could have done my first resin job last week, but without these forums to review, I postponed.

OK, so around here (Kansas City area), we're definitely into the "mid-summer pattern" of high temps in the 90's... with humidity. I was planning on setting up a table and resining some of my pepped pieces in the garage.

But I was wondering: how does high heat and humidity affect your resining job? I'm sure you have to adjust your behavior to try to compensate somehow?

Wow, glad these boards are finally back!

I could have done my first resin job last week, but without these forums to review, I postponed.

OK, so around here (Kansas City area), we're definitely into the "mid-summer pattern" of high temps in the 90's... with humidity. I was planning on setting up a table and resining some of my pepped pieces in the garage.

But I was wondering: how does high heat and humidity affect your resining job? I'm sure you have to adjust your behavior to try to compensate somehow?

I'm in the midwest too, and from what I've experienced, heat is good, humidity is bad. Just heat helps in the curing process, but the humidity slows the drying process down. What I would recommend, if the piece is small enough, put it in a rubbermade tub or something similar and bring it into a controlled environment. If the piece is too big for that, a heat gun or a hair dryer helps a bit.

Hey ben, u know smooth cast321 right? Did u know it could replace fiberglassing and resinninh? You got to see this video, look up the user TheStealthProds and look for the video named alternatives to fiberglassing pepakura parts!! It's amazing!!!

I've used the same method before, but I still use fiberglass. it's just easier when your in a pinch cause I can run o walmart and get more.

I have a question, in the rondo part of the vid, you say you mix bondo and resin, and I need a little more specifics.... I bought bondo fiberglass resin and bondo professional gold premium body filler....is that what you used? if it isnt... what do I use, or will this work the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back