How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a bunch Ben. You have taken the fear, uncertainty, and doubt(FUD) out of this process. I am now confident that even I can handle this.

it's a custom mixture of vytaflex 60 molding rubber mixed in with flex-foam x. both products are available from smooth-on, however I will tell you that it's not an exact ratio, nor is it an exact science. It does make for a very flexable, and paintable, fully weather proof item though ;)

pour the handle first with a dowel rod sticking up from it, then pour the blade. This is easy to do with solid castings like knives

ok do you have a video with you doing and rubber peaces like this becouse i think it would really help alot of the ppl if you do or have time to

Quick question. Is there a big differanse from using rondo inside to just pour the normal resin inside?

Thanks

Great vids man...this will help me in the future if i ever finish anything I like or worthy to finish...thumbs up to ya

Amazing vids Ben!!! I will certainly be starting my helmet asap now that I know the process for it! Now if I can only decide which helmet i want... haha!

Thanks again for the extremely helpful vids!!!

Not trying to necro-post or anything, and since the person before me kinda already did, I don't feel quite as bad lol.

But I have a question about rondo, and its a little harder to find youtube vids on rondo compared to bondo, somehow it keeps coming up with some kind of rondo dance...

But anyways, I'm at the stage on my thigh armor that I want to smooth it out and make it look as best as I can. I pepped them, and then hardened them with Smooth Cast 300. I've never really used bondo with much success before, and for me I find it very hard to apply very evenly. Here is a picture of my thighs right before I did a little bondo work -
IMG_20110320_002805.jpg

I've done some sanding and like I said, a little bit of bondo since this picture, I'll upload some more in a little while. But my main question about the rondo, would it be easier to apply than straight bondo? And would I apply it the same way? Currently I'm using a little squeegee thing to kinda brush/smear it on. With rondo beinga little more liquidy, I would think it would smear on a little better? Am I correct in assuming this? And from what I've read, rondo doesn't leave as many air bubbles behind when applying, so theoretically less sanding, or at least less re-applications of it to fill in the holes and gaps left by normal bondo?

Sorry for all of these questions at once, I've just had a little difficulty finding some of this information. Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide!

~Ryan

This should help clear up some of your questions.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=34FE0A912F0DC6C4[/video]

Not trying to necro-post or anything, and since the person before me kinda already did, I don't feel quite as bad lol.

But I have a question about rondo, and its a little harder to find youtube vids on rondo compared to bondo, somehow it keeps coming up with some kind of rondo dance...

But anyways, I'm at the stage on my thigh armor that I want to smooth it out and make it look as best as I can. I pepped them, and then hardened them with Smooth Cast 300. I've never really used bondo with much success before, and for me I find it very hard to apply very evenly. Here is a picture of my thighs right before I did a little bondo work -
IMG_20110320_002805.jpg

I've done some sanding and like I said, a little bit of bondo since this picture, I'll upload some more in a little while. But my main question about the rondo, would it be easier to apply than straight bondo? And would I apply it the same way? Currently I'm using a little squeegee thing to kinda brush/smear it on. With rondo beinga little more liquidy, I would think it would smear on a little better? Am I correct in assuming this? And from what I've read, rondo doesn't leave as many air bubbles behind when applying, so theoretically less sanding, or at least less re-applications of it to fill in the holes and gaps left by normal bondo?

Sorry for all of these questions at once, I've just had a little difficulty finding some of this information. Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide!

~Ryan

"its abou t 3-4 hours faster" rofl.
thanks for the amazing tutorial. i have always wanted to know what rondo is, and this has cleared it up for me. this is going to be so useful for the arms and shins of my ODST, as doing those last time for my spartan was a real pain in the ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back