How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenStreeper said:
I got them to shake it up with the paint mixer at lowes :)

I can tell,.. it still came out pretty good thanks for the video, made me less paranoid about using rondo

Last edited by a moderator:
amancue said:
I can tell,.. it still came out pretty good thanks for the video, made me less paranoid about using rondo

don't be afraid to add a little resin to your bondo can if it's not coming out as easy as you would like. It wont hurt the bondo.

BenStreeper said:
don't be afraid to add a little resin to your bondo can if it's not coming out as easy as you would like. It wont hurt the bondo.

yeah I probably will its not like, I bought it for anything other then armor :) ( I remember what you said in the video)

Rondo-glassing vs just rondo itself, what would be the strength of both? like say you dropped it on the ground or sat on it(i'm not gonna sit on it haha)

CrunchbiteNuva said:
Rondo-glassing vs just rondo itself, what would be the strength of both? like say you dropped it on the ground or sat on it(i'm not gonna sit on it haha)

already answered on previous page. Rondo + Fiber glassing is tuffer

Bondo is simply resin with "beads" added to make for a thicker consistency, these beads are basically talc powder if I remember correctly, so adding resin to create rondo doesn't change the chemical makeup, simply the viscosity. The only strength differences come from the ability of the resin to fill the holes in your fiberglass due to the talc taking up space. The strength difference is rather negligible in context of prop armor. I mud glassed my chest plate yesterday, and I can quite literally wail on the thing without it even flinching. Same goes with all the other parts I have mudglassed. It is somewhat heavy, but allows several steps to be eliminated without sacrificing strength, which for me is a huge advantage, but as my favorite saying goes, different strokes for different folks, or to quote a girl I know, whatever puts cream in your twinky ;)

something I meant to ask earlier about rondo,. .If I cut it in the can, w/ some resin to make it more pourable, would you still stick the same amount of resin in the individual batches?

amancue said:
something I meant to ask earlier about rondo,. .If I cut it in the can, w/ some resin to make it more pourable, would you still stick the same amount of resin in the individual batches?

Just as a rule of "Rondo" remember that you are only adding enough resin to make it easier to work with. This means that if you are "Slush" casting you would add more resin than if you were painting it on. So again this is not an exact science, more of a general rule of thumb. I would suggest adding resin in small amounts to your bondo until you arrive at the viscosity you prefer. Remember you can always add more resin, or more bondo until your cup is full.

Firstly, very sorry about the ill thought out question erlier about using fibre glass.

I just tried rondo erlier today and its brilliant, much easier and quicker than glassing. I had read on the forums about this but wasnt too sure on how to go about using it. These videos were very useful and to someone like myself (im mildly Autistic) that finds it easier seeing how things are done instead of just reading info. Agian very well done videos and thank-you for doing them :) .

Okay this may seem like a no brainer.

But will rondo work with weapons as well, like strengthening the inside? (as long as it has about 2 layers?)

BTW, great vids!

Frozensnot said:
Okay this may seem like a no brainer.

But will rondo work with weapons as well, like strengthening the inside? (as long as it has about 2 layers?)

BTW, great vids!

yes sir rondo will work with weapons too. Coat as many times as needed to reach desired strength.

If a piece of armor needs a second batch just to finish coating it, is it better to do it straight away or wait untill the first lot hardens?

kickback said:
If a piece of armor needs a second batch just to finish coating it, is it better to do it straight away or wait untill the first lot hardens?

Always wait. It's easier to control in smaller batches

Ben, are you going add the next video? You do not know how much this has helped me with my helmet builds. Are they going to be up soon or is that a different set of videos on a different topic?

SamoanHitman said:
Ben, are you going add the next video? You do not know how much this has helped me with my helmet builds. Are they going to be up soon or is that a different set of videos on a different topic?

I've done a couple of live casts since then. I will make sure to actually video and post the reach progress

Would be alright to add strands of fibreglass to the rondo mixture to save weight and increase strength? Or would that make the mixture difficult to pour and slush, or is there some other reason why I shouldn't try it?

Got about 90% of the outside of my Spartan helmet, but damn the stuff glomped in the cup within 5 minutes so I guess it's not warm enough....$#!T. But most of the outside is done, got the lower portions left to go which I think I'll deal with tomorrow.

009-SPA said:
Would be alright to add strands of fibreglass to the rondo mixture to save weight and increase strength? Or would that make the mixture difficult to pour and slush, or is there some other reason why I shouldn't try it?

Answered on previous page

BenStreeper said:
Yes, adding fiber glass to any resin based mixture will make the mixture tuffer. This goes not only for rondo, but also for most Smoothcast Plastics as well. The con of this method is that it would not be as hard as if you did a regular resined fiberglass coat, and then poured rondo on top. In my personal opinion not only is this fiber-glassing into rondo a waste of time, but not necessary at all. If you want to do a light coat of rondo, then add fiberglass with regular resin, then another coat of rondo. That would be much stronger, and cost you less money in the long run.

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice. My bad. Thanks for answering. Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks for posting an awesome method. It reduced my rogue helmet from a world of pain to something that looked awesome and was very easy to work with. Thanks Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back