How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again! I'll add so much resin someone could take a sledgehammer to it....well, that might be taking it too far haha. I've got two weeks off from school and have constructed a shopping list of everything. Can you tell me if I'm missing anything from the list that I should purchase or not purchase. This might be a good summary for others wondering what to purchase in list form.

• Exacto knife

• Pen

• Ruler

• Scissors

• Disposable mixing cups

• Hot glue sticks or super glue

• Latex gloves

• Plastic disposable measuring cup

• Face shield

• Organic vapor respirator

• Cardstock paper

• Sander

• Sand paper (80-220)

• Dremel tool

• Regular paint brush (throw away ones possibly)

• Lacquer thinner or Acetone to remove paint from paint brushes

• Fiberglass resin by the gallon and extra Hardener tubes (use fast dries within 10 min)

• Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 300 or rondo

• Bondo body filler with Hardener

• Spot putty

• Spray paint (Rust-Oleum gray primer, any Rust-Oleum color not glossy, Rust-Oleum black flat protective enamel for detail)

• JB weld/plastic weld to glue in visor or sealant used for auto glass

• Foamies (black foam pieces for detail)

• Motorcycle visors

BenStreeper said:
No problem sir. Thats why I made the thread. Also don't feel bad about asking questions, if they are Already answered I will still answer again. I don't believe in wild Goose chases when the quote function is one click away. Glad its helping. Feel free to post a pic of your progress here. It is after all how to make a helmet from pep to finish, so progress pics are welcome.

Ok, sure. Here it is so far:

th_HPIM3061.jpg th_HPIM3067.jpg th_HPIM3068.jpg th_HPIM3069.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OXM_Chase said:
• Exacto knife

• Pen

• Ruler

• Scissors

• Disposable mixing cups

• Hot glue sticks or super glue

• Latex gloves

• Plastic disposable measuring cup

• Face shield

• Organic vapor respirator

• Cardstock paper

• Sander

• Sand paper (80-220)

• Dremel tool

• Regular paint brush (throw away ones possibly)

• Lacquer thinner or Acetone to remove paint from paint brushes

• Fiberglass resin by the gallon and extra Hardener tubes (use fast dries within 10 min)

• Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 300 or rondo

• Bondo body filler with Hardener

• Spot putty

• Spray paint (Rust-Oleum gray primer, any Rust-Oleum color not glossy, Rust-Oleum black flat protective enamel for detail)

• JB weld/plastic weld to glue in visor or sealant used for auto glass

• Foamies (black foam pieces for detail)

• Motorcycle visors

sounds like you got a good list here sir.

009-SPA said:
Ok, sure. Here it is so far:

th_HPIM3061.jpg th_HPIM3067.jpg th_HPIM3068.jpg th_HPIM3069.jpg

looks really good to me, I can't wait to see this finished

Hey whne are you going to post that fiberglassing video?

Oh yeah, i decide since ive been held back because my printer is out of ink, i decide to trace the pieces off my computer onto paper and then just started to practice making the helmet. And ive finished a good part of it. would love to post it, but......no sd card or cord.T^T

1) When I'm putting together the pepakura design, how do I compensate for the size of the visor? I can buy it before hand, but I'm not sure how to size it up with the model on the pepakura program.

Rondo's gonna help me alot with making my helmet. Can't wait, but they dont sell the smaller bondo cans anymore :(

Man, this stuff gets expensive quick. Rebound 25 trial size is $30 and a gallon I think it was would set me back $170. Yikes!

This is keeping me motivated ben thanks so much for these vids these deserve to be stickied if they're not already I'm still working on the shins since I recently depleted my funds by buying a streetbike ;) so fun. Anyways it's hard to stay on this because it's so time consuming to pep it all with searching for jobs and all always so tired but I see your vid and I see how easy it is to harden stuff now I'm coming back more and more trying to complete more pieces, helmet last lol.

Erebus-666 said:
Hey whne are you going to post that fiberglassing video?

Oh yeah, i decide since ive been held back because my printer is out of ink, i decide to trace the pieces off my computer onto paper and then just started to practice making the helmet. And ive finished a good part of it. would love to post it, but......no sd card or cord.T^T

I will video the next thing I fiberglass, sorry I got a bit sidetracked making a special helmet for one of my friends weddings this weekend. I will begin videos again this weekend, I will also be doing some more live streams this weekend for realtime q and a while I work.

OXM_Chase said:
1) When I'm putting together the pepakura design, how do I compensate for the size of the visor? I can buy it before hand, but I'm not sure how to size it up with the model on the pepakura program.

Most of the helmets already have visor inserts in the file. What specific helmet do you need help with? Tell me the helmet and file name and I will give you a very specific answer :)

OXM_Chase said:
Man, this stuff gets expensive quick. Rebound 25 trial size is $30 and a gallon I think it was would set me back $170. Yikes!

Agreed, this is not a cheap hobby, nor is it a money maker. Most of us spend way more than we ever make back. But that doesn't make it any less fun. I am however trying to show some cheaper methods for everyone. Just hang in there.

Trigger said:
This is keeping me motivated ben thanks so much for these vids these deserve to be stickied if they're not already I'm still working on the shins since I recently depleted my funds by buying a streetbike ;) so fun. Anyways it's hard to stay on this because it's so time consuming to pep it all with searching for jobs and all always so tired but I see your vid and I see how easy it is to harden stuff now I'm coming back more and more trying to complete more pieces, helmet last lol.

Helmet last is the best way to do it. I say chest first, but. I am a guy ;b

amancue said:
smaller as in what? theres Quart and Gallon sizes

i dont think there are quart sizes anymore where i live. Just huge bucket things full.

BenStreeper said:
Helmet last is the best way to do it. I say chest first, but. I am a guy ;b

Haha Idk why I started with the shins but they seem like they're one of the harder pieces with warping and complicated shapes besides the helmet I'm making a flat black (may decide to add a second color sparingly later) rookie set. I want it pristine no battle damage. Only excuse for a soldier to have messed up armor is in the heat of battle :) Look at me... I want I want... time to get back to pepping when you get done with you Emile helm you gotta finish these :)

Trigger said:
Haha Idk why I started with the shins but they seem like they're one of the harder pieces with warping and complicated shapes besides the helmet I'm making a flat black (may decide to add a second color sparingly later) rookie set. I want it pristine no battle damage. Only excuse for a soldier to have messed up armor is in the heat of battle :) Look at me... I want I want... time to get back to pepping when you get done with you Emile helm you gotta finish these :)

emile working mold is done. I need to make the mother mold then pour some working versions, but I will be focusing on the reach helmet from this series as far as video work is concerned this weekend. I work in 3's. Always have 3 projects going, the helmet for the wedding was a Mark 6, it's done now sow my 3's for next week will be: EVA, Lone Wolf, and EOD. I will also be pepping a Busa during "Cure" times.

BenStreeper said:
emile working mold is done. I need to make the mother mold then pour some working versions, but I will be focusing on the reach helmet from this series as far as video work is concerned this weekend. I work in 3's. Always have 3 projects going, the helmet for the wedding was a Mark 6, it's done now sow my 3's for next week will be: EVA, Lone Wolf, and EOD. I will also be pepping a Busa during "Cure" times.

Epic. Can't wait to see them.

Aaron said:
i dont think there are quart sizes anymore where i live. Just huge bucket things full.

try walmart,lowes home depot, auto parts stores (that is if your in the U.S.) all those places carry quart as well as gallon,. if not you live in a weird place :p

Thanks, but I haven't started yet. Still in the preliminary stages. I like to plan every step so I have a concise layout of what I'm doing :D

What I'm hoping to accomplish is two fold.

1) become proficient enough to where I can make props as a hobby without much worry 2) sell some molds on the side to reimburse my wallet haha. I love your methods, but it's the materials that are expensive. I plan on purchasing the Rebound 25/Smooth Cast 300 model kit to practice making molds. Do you think there will be enough to use on the sculpture they package with it in addition to a frag grenade? I'm trying to start out easy for the proficiency.

OXM_Chase said:
Thanks, but I haven't started yet. Still in the preliminary stages. I like to plan every step so I have a concise layout of what I'm doing :D

What I'm hoping to accomplish is two fold.

1) become proficient enough to where I can make props as a hobby without much worry 2) sell some molds on the side to reimburse my wallet haha. I love your methods, but it's the materials that are expensive. I plan on purchasing the Rebound 25/Smooth Cast 300 model kit to practice making molds. Do you think there will be enough to use on the sculpture they package with it in addition to a frag grenade? I'm trying to start out easy for the proficiency.

probably, but why not just do the frag

BenStreeper said:
I will video the next thing I fiberglass, sorry I got a bit sidetracked making a special helmet for one of my friends weddings this weekend. I will begin videos again this weekend, I will also be doing some more live streams this weekend for realtime q and a while I work.

im sorry man im not trying to rush you, i just didn't know if you posted it on someother forum. but thx man. oh, did u check out my helmet. IT is a prototype ok. just to pratcie with pepa. cause ive never used it before.

CheeseCake said:
Hey dude that helmet looks great can't wait to see you in it! Good job.[attachment=15377:14lrqwx.jpg]
Wait what, you weren't talking to me were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back