How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great vid, I've read so many post of how to resin or what to resin. I still don't think they'll watch it lol cause they dont read the sticks but all in all great vid.

oh no! it has to be over 60 degrees, its currently 36 here! other than that, amazing video (as always)

26 drops of hardener? Seems like a lot, I've gotten about 13 or 14 drops to work just fine for a little more resin then what you used?

Richie said:
26 drops of hardener? Seems like a lot, I've gotten about 13 or 14 drops to work just fine for a little more resin then what you used?

Yeah I just like mine to harden quick. I usually make it so it will completely set in 15 min. or less

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, yeah

Nub question for the Mark IV: How many inches did you add to height/width/depth to make it fit?

I haven't been following your videos but I definitely will now, this was so helpful, I have yet to glass anything and this answered a TON of my questions. For one I thought when you glassed the helmet it made it hard not just stiff. The fiberglass rolls and resin on the inside are what give it the real stiffness? or is it the bondo?

CrunchbiteNuva said:
Hi, yeah

Nub question for the Mark IV: How many inches did you add to height/width/depth to make it fit?

30cm (300 mm) height

Trigger said:
I haven't been following your videos but I definitely will now, this was so helpful, I have yet to glass anything and this answered a TON of my questions. For one I thought when you glassed the helmet it made it hard not just stiff. The fiberglass rolls and resin on the inside are what give it the real stiffness? or is it the bondo?

Correct on both sir. Bondo, Rondo, Smoothcast, and Fiberglass will make the helmets actually harden, while simply using the resin (or "Glassing") the outside or Hot Glue method on the inside will only stiffen and maintain the shape (stop from warping).

Keep tuned in Mams and Sirs, I will be Hardening 2 helmets today, Doing Bondo work on 1, and starting to detail the helmets later tonight. Also we have our SHOP's Secret weapon airing later today. It's not Same "Bat-Time" but it sure as heck is the same "Bat-Chanel". I will post videos as I can, and I should be recieving a Web Cam today so there may be a Live-Cast later tonight :)

This is exactly what people like me need I've read a lot of how to do things on the forums but it is so unbelievably helpful to get to see someone actually do it, you can eliminate a lot of mistakes by actually seeing the process done not just reading about it.

And a live cast would be super cool I'd tune in! :)

BenStreeper said:
Yeah I just like mine to harden quick. I usually make it so it will completely set in 15 min. or less

That's a good idea, usually when I resined something I did the whole thing; not in sections. So, since you do it in sections it is best to want it to harden quicker.

Very informative and well made Ben. Thanks for this it helps alot of people out and the Helmet looks great. Ive got a pep peice here that need strengthing and im tempted to try the rondo method, I see that your apply some on the outside of the helmet, whats the hardened stage like to sand. Is it easier or harder that just normal bondo?

Cheers

welsh

so, I've been watching this thread, its awesome anyways my question would rondo be a good replacement for other armor parts inplace of 'glass or SmoothCast or other such varients because its cost ratio is soo much better

example to what Im saying is I have some forearm pieces for my Space Marine (40k) that needs to be stiffened would roto'ing those w/ rondo work?

welshwarrior123 said:
Very informative and well made Ben. Thanks for this it helps alot of people out and the Helmet looks great. Ive got a pep peice here that need strengthing and im tempted to try the rondo method, I see that your apply some on the outside of the helmet, whats the hardened stage like to sand. Is it easier or harder that just normal bondo?

Cheers

welsh

It is a bit harder to sand than normal bondo. But don't let that fool you, if you start with a low grit (60-80) and move up to the higher ones for your final smoothing you will be fine. Also remember that when sanding through paper you will want to go back over that area with a high grit paper to get rid of the fluff left behind.

amancue said:
so, I've been watching this thread, its awesome anyways my question would rondo be a good replacement for other armor parts inplace of 'glass or SmoothCast or other such varients because its cost ratio is soo much better

example to what Im saying is I have some forearm pieces for my Space Marine (40k) that needs to be stiffened would roto'ing those w/ rondo work?

The short answer is YES, But remember that when you buy 2 gallons of bondo, and 2 things of resin you are already at around $68. The cost of a Gallon kit of Smoothcast Materials makes 2 gallons worth of product. So it's cost isn't much higher. However you will have to wait on shipping for smoothcast products. This method of rondo-ing will work to reinforce any pep piece.

BenStreeper said:
It is a bit harder to sand than normal bondo. But don't let that fool you, if you start with a low grit (60-80) and move up to the higher ones for your final smoothing you will be fine. Also remember that when sanding through paper you will want to go back over that area with a high grit paper to get rid of the fluff left behind.

The short answer is YES, But remember that when you buy 2 gallons of bondo, and 2 things of resin you are already at around $68. The cost of a Gallon kit of Smoothcast Materials makes 2 gallons worth of product. So it's cost isn't much higher. However you will have to wait on shipping for smoothcast products. This method of rondo-ing will work to reinforce any pep piece.

yes it does get up there,.. but none of the 3 walmarts here or the 2 lowes like to sell resin in gallons they all sell in quarts,. but a gallon of filler is cheap, $17 dollars, but yeah the quick turn around, is something else I like about it :) last thing, if I were to mix the rondo hot (lots of hardener) it'd work fine in lower temperatures then the smooth-cast products? I have some shellshock that reccomends it to be used @ 72 or greater,.. even though I live in florida it really hasnt been greater then 72 degrees or not raining, its been either one or the other since I got it beginning of january

So you don't actually need fiberglass to strengthen the inside or you can use it with rondo if preferred?

Also, I may have missed it but did you only resin the outside?

CrunchbiteNuva said:
So you don't actually need fiberglass to strengthen the inside or you can use it with rondo if preferred?

Also, I may have missed it but did you only resin the outside?

yes x2 sir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back