How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to ask this, I'm sure it's probably in this thread somewhere. But, how much of this process makes the helmet wearable? How much of it would need to be done differently to be able to wear this? Thanks :)

The entire thread makes a wearable helmet sir. This thread contains steps from Pep- finish, which includes hardening, molding, casting, detailing, etc. I know it's been cluttered up, and hi-jacked throughout. But I assure you all the information is contained with-in

hi guys,i'm making a Mk VI helm and i finished the pepakura.now i'm stucking at fibreglassing.
the helm will be brittle when i finished right?
i've found a resin,but it seem to be not good

This has been a great thread!! It's a one stop shop. Would have loved to see how the foamed chest piece came out. Great Info none the less!

This is nice, and pretty smart, but I might just go with the lighter, and less expensive fiberglass cloth form, as I want to make comedic short films with these, and summer days aren't very friendly to guys in heavy, thick armor, as upposed to equally strong armor that is a lot less barbaric to my actors and I. Any comments/advice?

Super nice tutorials, good sir! I just recently did my first Mark VI helmet and used fiberglass cloth on the inside. I've heard of the rondo method before, but this is the first time I've actually seen how it is applied. It looks so much easier (and less messy) than fiberglassing the inside like I did. I'm definitely going to try this on my next build. Thanks for the awesome step-by-step process!

Great thread Ben!
It shows that a lot of care and pride goes into your work. Just wanna say thanks for sharing this info.

Cheers,
Dave.

Thank you so much for all this information. I was looking for something specific so I stopped by, and your thread answered and/or gave me what I needed to know for my own helmet project i'm working on. Thanks alot! =D

First let me say great tut and incredible work. I am getting ready to rondo my first helmet and am keeping it stock so as not to overwhelm myself to start. I know this is completely off topic but I figured you are knowledgable enough to help me out, and for some reason I can't start a new thread. Have you ever thought about scaling a helmet to have it fit over a motorcycle helmet? I was thinking of taking an open faced helmet and building the helmet around it. Possibly 2 piecing the helmet and then combining them on/around the helmet. My concerns are that I don't want to look like a bobblehead. I am afraid that I would have to scale up so much that it would look rediculous. Do you think it would be a possibility of should I do like the other people on youtube and buy a haloween mask and cut and glue it. Also screwing into ot breaking the shell of the helmet renders it useless in the eyes of the DOT and the guys with the whirley red and blue lights. Thanks for your input and opinion.

Thank you very much for the tutorial. Now I'll know what materials I'll need for my own projects. Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for all this information. I was looking for something specific so I stopped by, and your thread answered and/or gave me what I needed to know for my own helmet project i'm working on. Thanks alot! =D

sadly I'm pretty sure you would end up looking like a bobble head. Scaling a helmet up to fit around a motorcycle helmet would be huge, not to mention the lack of peripheral vision you have while wearing one of these. If you still want to try it I would suggest the Halo 3 EVA. It's already pretty big so maybe it would fit around without having to scale it up to much. Also you would be able to make a custom visor that is large enough to accommodate the peripheral vision required to safely operate a motorcycle. That being said I fully implore you not to wear one of these while operating any motor vehicle. I have a motorcycle license as well as operating one and I wouldn't take the chance. It's already bad enough that other people have a hard time seeing you on the road, you need to be able to see them.

Hey Ben, fantastic tutorials to say the least, just wanted to say thanks for helping the noobs and vets alike, I myself learned most of what I know from you. The vids are helpful, light-hearted, funny, and a blast to watch. I've actually watched them all a few times now, lol. I'm not sure if you remember me, I had taken a break from the 405th, but when I was here I worked in clay/foam mostly, but as someone who's actually finally going for a pep suit, I'm curious as to when you would sand at different grits, I haven't seen it covered in your vids, and I haven't ever went past about 180. I do understand that 2000+ or so, would be for an insanely glossy look, but not sure if 320 or so is desired/the norm. I'm also looking for "When" you would progress up in grits, after the bondo is sanded flat/smooth? Thanks for the reply in advance, and keep up the vids when you're not too busy at the store.

-Jason

god i need to strecth my legs. i finally read this thread front to back and watched every vid. the way ive been doing it isnt a bad way but your way saves me soooooo many hours thats its not even funny. thanks alot for all this information

this is the best tut i've found on the 405th as of yet to do with resin and rondo and bondo. it answered all of my questions and gave me great tips on anything else i was thinking of doing. this should definitely be stickied in the noob forum. Now I can actually finish my MK VI.

Wow! Just finished going through all 50 pages. This tut is awesome and has answered so many questions for when I start my project soon, thanks Ben! How did the Reach helmet that started this post turn out?

A brief break: How to Vac form an odst visor.

Superwife deserves the credit for this amazing vac-formed visor. P.S. as of right now these are not cheap to make so if you want one you are better off (cheaper) buying from Sean or Link. This grade of petg sheeting is $18 a sheet, and right now it yields 1 visor

Thanks Ben great tutorial. Was looking for a way to make my own vacuform visor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back