Iron Man Costume Tech Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertFare

Well for my suit i wanna go all out, being things like sound fx, opening/closing helmet, lights, and animatronics. But one thing i need for a good suit are the hip flares he has in the movie. Like when hes fling away from the f22's and fighting iron monger. I want them to be able to pop out, flash with leds and make that popping sound, and han close after. Any ideas tuts are welcome! Another thing i wanna do is make the suit whir/click/slidey noise, when i move certain ways, any ideas? I was thinking maybe putting little sensors in the elbow/knee discs, and whenever contacted by a separate point the speakers in the suit make a noise? also the little missile he shoots at the tank in the gauntlet would be awesome as well. Another thing i wanna do is make the led's in the hands/feet to light up when i get in the flight stance. Note i am not asking for you to make these, but for ideas n how to do so. The suit is naturally bulky so there is plenty room for stowing tech. Post ideas if you can!

I'd been thinking about the motor whirring noise when you move, and it'd only really work for the knees, elbows and maybe ankles. My theory is to have (for example) the thigh and lower leg pieces connected at a joint (i.e. not generically loose around the legs), and have dynamo gearbox permanently affixed to the inside of the thigh, and the knee joint connected to the gears, so when you move, the gears move round, and the large resistance (physical not electrical) from the dynamo gets that whirring noise out.

Problem is that the joints need to be rigid, and can only rotate on one axis, plus it may not even be that audible. The RT (Repulsor Tech) LED parts should be easy enough - I just need to get around to it. The easiest thing to do is to have some mouth switches on the inside of the helmet.

Jonny said:
Rather then using contact points for the electronics you should think about Reed switches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch

These are switches which are activated by magnets, so you put the reed switch on one point and a magnet the other. When the magnet gets close enough to set off the switch then get the Arduino to play the required sound.

http://www.arduino.cc/

i like the idea. But that only works to an extent, i need the suit to whir and click for smaller slighter movements. and if the switch gets stuck or becomes affixed it the glass container.

i

am

SCREWED

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on some moving parts as well and I havent come up with anything yet either /slash wrist lol. If you come up with something plz let me know cause it's really the only thing holding my suit back.

the suit is supposed to be bulky.... right? i mean at least an inch thick im thinking? Cause in realty it would hve to be at least that thick to even store some of the stuff seen

i saw this a few months ago and decided that this is something i have to experiment with. i dont know who these guys are, but they have some fan film clips on their youtube channel and theyve got their stuff together.

i had an idea for the rear air brakes! (his back flaps)

Green-cable

yellow-big servo

as the servo pulls on the cables it would be strung through the back piece to lift the flaps

[attachment=14969:back system.jpg]

llinformerll said:
Hey, I think I found thesolution to lighting up the eyes and even making your voice change.

Check out this topic Clicky Clicky

it is cool in all, but how does it help with the voice changing

Hey guys, over the weekend I put together one of those voice changing kits and it works quite well. I still need to work on mounting the microphone and speaker but I'll try to make a video once it's done.

Okay guys here's a quick video to show a voice changer roughly installed into my Iron Man helmet.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk2xIOxDEHQ[/video]

IroniumCostuming said:
it is cool in all, but how does it help with the voice changing

Actually all that did was give me an idea. You can just get a voice changeing kit and install it to the helmet. I have a Darth Vader one from when I was 8 and I was looking at it yesterday. It seems quite possible.

llinformerll said:
Actually all that did was give me an idea. You can just get a voice changeing kit and install it to the helmet. I have a Darth Vader one from when I was 8 and I was looking at it yesterday. It seems quite possible.

Lol, thats what i was thinking! Maybe gut/mod an old darth v voice changer bucket and stick it in iron man. But there is a thing about putting a voice changer in your iron man helmet, you dont want to over-do it, Notice in the movie the voice is slightly modded just to sound a little robotic. So to sum it up, dont go overboard on the sounds.I wont.

IroniumCostuming said:
Lol, thats what i was thinking! Maybe gut/mod an old darth v voice changer bucket and stick it in iron man. But there is a thing about putting a voice changer in your iron man helmet, you dont want to over-do it, Notice in the movie the voice is slightly modded just to sound a little robotic. So to sum it up, dont go overboard on the sounds.I wont.

[/quote/]

Dont they have a Iron Man voice changer out?

llinformerll said:
IroniumCostuming said:

[/quote/]

Dont they have a Iron Man voice changer out?

?lolwut, ill check it out right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back