No More Registration - 405Th.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensai111

As of today there will be no more need for registering to comment on the articles on www.405th.com. This has been something we've been hesitating on for a long time only because it opens us up directly to spam, bots, and other fun stuff. For those of you who do have registered accounts on 405th.com you're aware we've never sent a single piece of mail your way other than the original confirmation of your account and we will continue to keep that promise. Likewise we will never sell your e-mail address to other companies or any other kind of nonsense. However - we understand that some of you are still hesitant about registering with a blog and having another ID to keep up with. For that very reason we offer you the ability now to make a comment on any article (which also results in professional responses should you have a question relating to that article). Simply fill in a username, an e-mail address (fake ones are fine by us) and type your comment and submit. So come join the action and voice your opinion on some of the great articles we have for you. Here's a few recent items to wet your whistle on:

W.I.P. Wednesday - by Ruze789 & Malechei

http://405th.com/?p=4088

Forum members XxCAL­IBERxX / Spartan-087 / Spartan-005 are the topic of the week. XxCAL­IBERxX has been crafting up a pretty wicked Jun (sniper) helmet from Halo Reach with a unique approach. Husband/wife couple 087 & 005 have been working on an amazing 343 Guilty Spark. We've compiled both builds into one page with a nice gallery for you to check it all out on.

Tip & Tricks with Tactics - by Xtreme TACTICS 101

http://405th.com/?p=4067

Every week Tactics brings you a professionally presented nugget of information to make your life easier and to teach you a thing or two about armor making you probably didn't know. This week Tactics covers pepakura smoothing. You've all seen these extra smooth pep files coming out but what you may be working on isn't one of those files. How do you smooth a pep file you ask? Check out the link and find out.

Halo 3: Mythic Difficulty - by HeavyGunner

http://405th.com/?p=3997

You've beat Halo 3 to death, you've worn out your welcome with the online multiplayer modes, you've collected all the achievements... now what? HeavyGunner brings us Halo 3 Mythic difficulty... wha? It's actually a pretty popular challenge that even I haven't heard of. Check out the link and read about this pastime to conquer the ultimate goal in Halo 3

So there you go peeps, no more registering and a slew of articles about you guys, tutorials to help you tackle your problems, and a breath of fresh life for your copy of Halo 3 to hold you over until Halo Reach's beta.

Additionally this week we also added the ability to tweet all new articles. So no more having to check the front page for new stuff, sign up to follow us on twitter and we'll keep you up to date on all the newest 343 and Bungie news as well as article updates and server updates to tell you what all is going on with the site should we go down.

Cheers,

Kensai

IroniumCostuming said:
So whoevers on the 405th is it? no more new fresh noobs?

I think it means there will be more noobs.

You dont need to be registered to post, So more noobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Kensai is referring to the 405th Source. The Source is that fancy front page when you go to www.405th.com. It was previously set up so that you actually had to register to be able to post comments on articles. Now you can just post your comment. No registration required. Posting on the forums will still require registration, as they're on a totally separate system.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
Actually, Kensai is referring to the 405th Source. The Source is that fancy front page when you go to www.405th.com. It was previously set up so that you actually had to register to be able to post comments on articles. Now you can just post your comment. No registration required. Posting on the forums will still require registration, as they're on a totally separate system.

ahh, thanks for clearin that up leathery necked-one

And the fact that they are separate explains to me finally why I could never post on the topics from the source page.... *facepalm*

If problems occur the editorial staff can change the settings. Should be interesting. It would be nice to see more community involvement in the Source. A lot of work has gone into it by a lot of people.

As long as our articles are not flooded by spam comments, I'm completely fine with this. I personally thrive on positive comments and improvement suggestions, so I would love to see more of them.

But, if things do go too bad, we can always go right back to registration.

P.S.-

Every week Tactics brings you a professionally presented nugget of information to make your life easier and to teach you a thing or two about armor making you probably didn't know.

I really love that "professinally presented" part Kensai. That just brightened up my whole day.

*Put's on Army Of Two Helmet for protection against the oncoming hoard of spam!*

I'm a bit worried about spam. Also, i dont understand why you wouldnt sign up an account anyway? it's free after all.

Also, where are these guests allowed to post? is the ranking system (noob-veteran) bit still on?

Ghost147 said:
*Put's on Army Of Two Helmet for protection against the oncoming hoard of spam!*

I'm a bit worried about spam. Also, i dont understand why you wouldnt sign up an account anyway? it's free after all.

Also, where are these guests allowed to post? is the ranking system (noob-veteran) bit still on?

The guests will only be allowed to post on the Source article pages... nowhere in the forums. And the comments will be closely monitored and regulated by the editorial staff. If they start to get out of hand, it takes only a few moments to revoke the rights to registration-free comments.

Additionally, a lot of news sites allow guests to post comments without registering in an effort to hook them in and convince them to register. I think that might be part of what we're going for here.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. As stated above this only affects www.405th.com as we have no say-so, special login or title here at the forums at all. As you'll notice I'm not a moderator here I'm only a veteran. As such the website and the forums are two different systems just merely linked together. The forums is a free-for-all of information all generated by you guys, all stored here on the IP Board (the forum software). Whereas the 405th Source is people who happen to be forum members who write professional quality articles keeping you guys all up to date on the Halo news world, writing quality tutorials, doing weekly summaries on the best of the noob forum, and hosting good machinima all organized in Wordpress form. As Wordpress and IP Board are made by two separate companies we can't make one login that works for both unfortunately. So we've removed the requirement to register to post comments on the articles on 405th Source. As far as the forums are concerned the mods and Adam are still doing the "closing registration .. re-opening it randomly later" thing - which seems to be helping cutting down help posts. Also since they are two separate systems you will occasionally see the forums be down but still have access to the 405th Source .. or vice-versa. Should that ever happen just contact us on twitter [Link is in my sig] and we'll let you know what's going on and when you can expect stuff to get fixed.

Cheers,

Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back