Who Thinks That Mixing Bondo And Smooth On 320 Would Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

soul products

ive been seeing a lot of people useing rondo lately and it got me thinking "could i sub smooth cast 320 over resin".

id rather not try this without a second opinion as i need to save plastic, but is this a good idea?

soul products said:
ive been seeing a lot of people useing rondo lately and it got me thinking "could i sub smooth cast 320 over resin".

id rather not try this without a second opinion as i need to save plastic, but is this a good idea?

wont work. The bondo will clump into small balls

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't work.

HOWEVER, Smooth-On does make a ceramic filler called Ure-Fill 3, that is about $12/gallon. You can mix it with the casting resin up to about 3-4 parts Ure-Fill to 1 part resin, at which point it's a pretty thick pasty mix. The filler is basically a sand-like material, and actually lightens the weight/density of the casting. I used it with all my paladin armor castings, in about 1:1 ratio, which is about as thick as a melting milkshake/smoothie.

Nothing with Smooth-On products in it is going to be a replacement that is cheaper, although it may be better.

soul products said:
why does it work with resin?

Thinning Bondo with Fiberglass resin works because Bondo is basically fiberglass resin with a thickener, talc, added to it. They are both polyester resins.

Smooth-on's resins are primarily polyurethane resins; this is the reason they don't mix. They are two completely different chemicals. Imagine mixing oil and water; two different liquids with different properties (Not exactly the same situation, but hey, it works as a metaphor).

Achille said:
Thinning Bondo with Fiberglass resin works because Bondo is basically fiberglass resin with a thickener, talc, added to it. They are both polyester resins.

Smooth-on's resins are primarily polyurethane resins; this is the reason they don't mix. They are two completely different chemicals. Imagine mixing oil and water; two different liquids with different properties (Not exactly the same situation, but hey, it works as a metaphor).

Correct :)

Someone give this man a prize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back