Props Nerf Halo Reach: Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithslayer78

PICTURE HEAVY!!!

After I had thought I had gotten everything I could out of a Nerf recon, I randomly noticed something else. It appears that a lot of people assume that longshots are the only guns that qualify as snipers or long range guns, but I noticed that a Nerf Recon looks A LOT like a Halo sniper. Originally, I was going to make a Halo 3 Sniper, but as I started i noticed it would be much Easier to make a Halo: Reach Sniper rifle. I plan on making more broad details out of cardboard, and making the scope and barrel attachment out of a pepakura that has yet to be made. the rest, ill scratch build. At First, I wanted to make it functional. I doubled the rage of the standard Modified Nerf Recon, and things looked very good. I even managed to get a successful test fire out of a 3 foot barrel, but recently its all gone FUBAR. Oh well, I'd love to have a Reach sniper prop, Functional or not.... Here are my pictures, and i warn you, its no LeeKeegan Masterpiece.

Plans:

sniplerifle.png

0308002254.jpg

Sniperplans.jpg

The Modified stock: I installed a guide pipe that utilized a firing spring from an old Airsoft gun I got in China a while back. The Airsoft spring accelerates the speed of the plunger, greatly increasing the range, power, and speed of the Nerf.

0318001849.jpg

0318001848b.jpg

0318001848a.jpg

The barrel is an Approx. 3 ft length of clear piping i found in my basement. I installed it into the standard recon attachment with some removal modification.

0313002122a.jpg

0318001847a.jpg

The "Grip" and the rest of the gun put together. (Sorry for the flip, My cell phone iz weird.)

0318001847.jpg

0318002145.jpg

0318001847b.jpg

I have something Very special in mind for the scope. Ive been looking into my MW2 Night vision goggles, and i discovered the toy company that makes them has their own line of night vision goggles. (pics of similar internals below) I plan on installing a night vision goggle into a shell of a sniper scope. It should work, but I still have a long ways to go.

eyeclops.jpg

awsome build, i hope this goes as good as your other nerf weapons. (what is this, the 3rd one with a recon?) looking forward to updates.

If you want you can buy this gun

NerfRedShiftCS-12.jpg

I think its between 30 t0 40 bucks and it will save you a lot of time, but its your build.

Good luck :D

Looks cool! It's funny how the weapons look pretty much exactly like Nerf guns. It's almost like Bungie wants us to make them... :p

niiiiice. interesting choice for the base of your sniper build... never would have thought of using a recon.... for the AR or the SMG maybe... but not for the sniper. for sure going to watch this topic :).

i have! (not trying to steal this topic, just swowing an example. yes, thats a rubies helmet thats not the point of the picture.)

DSC_0021.jpg

Alex spartan177 said:

NerfRedShiftCS-12.jpg

I think its between 30 t0 40 bucks and it will save you a lot of time, but its your build.

Sorry to burst your bubble but thats not a real gun, that is just one of the models used in the nerf game, but another suitable start would be the longstrike cs-6

Last edited by a moderator:
guilty said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but thats not a real gun, that is just one of the models used in the nerf game, but another suitable start would be the longstrike cs-6

My bad then :p

Gooberz said:
Nerf-Longstrike-CS-6-1024x320.jpg

This is, however. The Longstrike. I saw one at my local Wal-mart. $30-40.

Yeah, but while it's aesthetically a good-looking sniper rifle, it's not near the design of the rifle in Halo. Mostly, the issue is in the handle, which is near-perfectly angled on the Recon, but is way too shallow on the Longstrike. In any case, coming from a nerfing community, who hates the Recon for its poor performance, I'm glad to see it being used in a way that suits it: aesthetic modification.

(And the Recon DOES have poor performance. The Longshot can be modified to shoot 150 feet with stock darts, easy, but the Recon has never been pushed past 50. Plus, the LS isn't even in the top tier for range or accuracy. However, both are incredibly well-suited to aesthetics, and that's the purpose, here, right?)

I can't wait to see how sexy this Recon ends up...

You can haz recon.

gingersnapples said:
I have to say that i dont like the new version of the nerf internals at all, to flimsy.

Indeed. Reverse-plunger setups and wimpy springs, combined with poor o-rings and overall complex mechanics in low-grade plastic are just terrible. Nerf has nerfed their products, so to speak...

Though, it's not that big a deal in an aesthetic build. As long as it works at all, the gimmick is there as a plus, even if it works poorly like any Nerf of the day...

Alex spartan177 said:

I was thinking that at first, but I decided that the slanted handle, and stubborn stock wasnt worth the effort BUT I am thinking of making an M14 or GOW Sniper out of it

mustang2500 said:
Looks cool! It's funny how the weapons look pretty much exactly like Nerf guns. It's almost like Bungie wants us to make them... :p

Its a Conspiracy!!! :eek

SchizophrenicMC said:
Yeah, but while it's aesthetically a good-looking sniper rifle, it's not near the design of the rifle in Halo. Mostly, the issue is in the handle, which is near-perfectly angled on the Recon, but is way too shallow on the Longstrike. In any case, coming from a nerfing community, who hates the Recon for its poor performance, I'm glad to see it being used in a way that suits it: aesthetic modification.

(And the Recon DOES have poor performance. The Longshot can be modified to shoot 150 feet with stock darts, easy, but the Recon has never been pushed past 50. Plus, the LS isn't even in the top tier for range or accuracy. However, both are incredibly well-suited to aesthetics, and that's the purpose, here, right?)

I can't wait to see how sexy this Recon ends up...

You can haz recon.

Completely agreed. The recon is the best looking, worst firing gun in the Nerf line. But, I have pushed the recon to fire 60-70 feet to my extreme surprise!

gingersnapples said:
I have to say that i dont like the new version of the nerf internals at all, to flimsy.

SchizophrenicMC said:
Indeed. Reverse-plunger setups and wimpy springs, combined with poor o-rings and overall complex mechanics in low-grade plastic are just terrible. Nerf has nerfed their products, so to speak...

Though, it's not that big a deal in an aesthetic build. As long as it works at all, the gimmick is there as a plus, even if it works poorly like any Nerf of the day...

I agree. They are very inefficient, it's more of a dart lobber than an actual gun. I've added an Air restrictor mod, stronger spring and O ring, and a second air soft spring, and I'd still rate it as average. As for the flimsy plastic, I loathe to admit that the plastic component that holds the plunger back when the recon is loaded WILL erode easily due to the increased pressure from the second spring. It won't be long before the recon becomes nothing more than a simple prop... but that's still cool.

As for updates, I've made some progress. Ive pepakura-ed the pieces that i cannot build from scratch. I plan on filling them with rondo, and drilling a hole through the barrel support to hold a metal rod. I guess it's pretty self explanatory. Thanks to all those who worked on the Halo Reach Sniper pepakura! Its been incredibly helpful!
0426001958.jpg

I've also worked on the foregrip ,and it looks pretty sound, but its gonna need more work to become fully working. Its fully modular, and looks pretty good to me. heres what i have so far.
0426001957.jpg

0402001940a.jpg

Heres a firing test with detailed video of the gun, but it cannot fire with the spring anymore. It has completely eroded the plunger lock. :( I'll still keep working on it though!

[Media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOlJ6b55Yg[/Media]

As for the scope, I plan on getting a Eyeclops NVG as mentioned above, But I would REALLY appreciate any ideas on how to construct a new frame for the scope! Thanks! Feedback/Tips are Welcome!

gingersnapples said:
i wish nerf would use the internals from the longshot, i've never heard of one of them breaking.

Well, get used to it. The Longshot suffers heavily from breech failure. Spring tension on plastic, over time, just causes it to snap... And any modifications cause this to worsen. Plus, if you remove the air restrictors, the force of the plunger head hitting the end of the tube can snap it. Longshots break all the time, my friend.

Slayer, wow. Just wow. That's starting to look GOOD.

Sithslayer78 said:
I was thinking that at first, but I decided that the slanted handle, and stubborn stock wasnt worth the effort BUT I am thinking of making an M14 or GOW Sniper out of it

Its a Conspiracy!!! :eek

Completely agreed. The recon is the best looking, worst firing gun in the Nerf line. But, I have pushed the recon to fire 60-70 feet to my extreme surprise!

I agree. They are very inefficient, it's more of a dart lobber than an actual gun. I've added an Air restrictor mod, stronger spring and O ring, and a second air soft spring, and I'd still rate it as average. As for the flimsy plastic, I loathe to admit that the plastic component that holds the plunger back when the recon is loaded WILL erode easily due to the increased pressure from the second spring. It won't be long before the recon becomes nothing more than a simple prop... but that's still cool.

As for updates, I've made some progress. Ive pepakura-ed the pieces that i cannot build from scratch. I plan on filling them with rondo, and drilling a hole through the barrel support to hold a metal rod. I guess it's pretty self explanatory. Thanks to all those who worked on the Halo Reach Sniper pepakura! Its been incredibly helpful!
0426001958.jpg

I've also worked on the foregrip ,and it looks pretty sound, but its gonna need more work to become fully working. Its fully modular, and looks pretty good to me. heres what i have so far.
0426001957.jpg

Heres a firing test with detailed video of the gun, but it cannot fire with the spring anymore. It has completely eroded the plunger lock. :( I'll still keep working on it though!

[Media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOlJ6b55Yg[/Media]

As for the scope, I plan on getting a Eyeclops NVG as mentioned above, But I would REALLY appreciate any ideas on how to construct a new frame for the scope! Thanks! Feedback/Tips are Welcome!

Nice dude!

SchizophrenicMC said:
Well, get used to it. The Longshot suffers heavily from breech failure. Spring tension on plastic, over time, just causes it to snap... And any modifications cause this to worsen. Plus, if you remove the air restrictors, the force of the plunger head hitting the end of the tube can snap it. Longshots break all the time, my friend.

Slayer, wow. Just wow. That's starting to look GOOD.

really, if your talking about the stock breech, ive had a gen 2 longshot for a year now (cant recall if its double springed or triple springed) and ive had not one issue with it.

onto a lighter note... the sniper looks great, but in my opinion it doesn't matter what optic you use... i plan on putting a SUSAT on my DMR when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back