Props Thorssoli's M6G Pistol Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I ran out of casting resin while I was working in the shop, so I started making some of my foam parts. At one point, I got bored and started screwing around. That's when I decided to dust the pistol mold with silver-colored powder and then fill the mold with foam. Here's the result:

4598072376_2bafa71663_o.jpg

I got a bit excited about it and pulled it before the foam had fully cured, so that's why the handguard and the trigger are a bit messed up.

Here's the really fun part though:

4597456215_d264a28b57_o.jpg

Now every time someone walks into the shop, I test their reaction time by throwing this at them. Hard.

It's fun.

Queen said:
I totally want one. :lol

I hadn't really planned on making a run of foam pistols, but I suppose I could if there was enough interest. I have to tweak the mixture a bit first.

Last edited by a moderator:
thorssoli said:
I hadn't really planned on making a run of foam pistols, but I suppose I could if there was enough interest. I have to tweak the mixture a bit first.

How well do the details show up in the foam? That picture you posted is a bit small.

Queen said:
How well do the details show up in the foam? That picture you posted is a bit small.

Everything's there. You can see the lettering in the first pic pretty clearly.

That is awesome!

Just imagine all of the uses for a squishy pistol... A spartan gets really mad? :rolleyes

thorssoli said:
Everything's there. You can see the lettering in the first pic pretty clearly.

Awesomesauce! How squishy is it? Is it like one of those stress-relief balls that I always seem to get for free?

@ GMer56: I was thinking harmless pistol beatdowns. :p

The foam pistol came out pretty squishy (you're right, probably about the same as those foam stress ball freebie things) and the only way you could hurt someone with it was if you fed it to them. I still need to tweak the measurements a bit more before I could reliably reproduce these things and there would still be problems cleaning up the foam where the vents in the mold are. I'll update here if I get it right.

Meanwhile, there are three of the not-so-great casts that I've been cleaning up and painting. Here's the best of them at this point (the other two had problems when I tried to mask the silver paint when it was still too soft):

4606226975_34e947b1e6_o.jpg

I've sold a few copies of this thing, so if you've got one and you've painted it please post pics here as well.

Oh sweet!

That pistol is pretty nice. I totally want one, but I'm not too sure about where I'd keep it. I had a barracks inspection the other day, and the XO himself was in here. Someone aiding with the inspection came into my room and played with my swords...

Queen said:
Oh sweet!

That pistol is pretty nice. I totally want one, but I'm not too sure about where I'd keep it. I had a barracks inspection the other day, and the XO himself was in here. Someone aiding with the inspection came into my room and played with my swords...

Barracks? I thought you were on a carrier.

As far as where to keep it: get a foam one and tell the XO it's a pillow. No problem. Can't fault you for bringing your own pillow to sea.

I just wanted to say that I bought one of the resin casts from you, and I'm extremely impressed by the quality and heft of it!

If you made a run of foam ones, I'd totally be interested; I'd love to see the look on my friends' faces when I chuck a foam Magnum at their head!

Great for pistol-whipping, right? :lol

Foam pistols! I love it hahaha.. would be really fun to see someone getting a pistol whip with this!

How well does the paint hold up on the foam from the squishing? Is there a special paint you used or something that it wont crack the paint after being squished?

You make me want a cnc so much more than I used to...

and as soon as I saw that foam pistol, I just kept laughing...

keep up the good work!

jake11124 said:
i'd be interested in either of those. to bad i can't access the classifieds..... yet.

By matter of wondering, how long does it take to be able to access the classifieds?

Belakor said:

you get it when you get it. Sometimes if you're really good at something you'll get promoted earlier but generally it's just a matter of earning your place here.

Just continue making props and helping people and you will get it.

(i wouldn't ask anymore)

Belakor said:
Yeah, and just so you know my own banhammer is a metre long and has a thirst for blood

4564249290_f9a3ea375f.jpg

:p

I love it!

(belakor is a moderator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back