Props Unsc Laser Designator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshane81

Sr Member
Okay, so I've been planning this project for a while now, working on gathering enough references and such. Then I kinda had to rearrange parts and pieces during printing with the unfold being in A4. Seeing bevbor's success on his sniper rifle is what made me want to use his method of building this. All of the cardboard backing is mainly in the side walls, with the curved pieces cut to fit to get the shape that I needed for the top. I want to apologize for the blurry pictures, they are just taken with the camera on my Blackberry.

Just so you get what I'm talking about:

4508665523_667d502c7d.jpg

I've left the bottom open on all of the segments so far. My plan is to resin inside and outside, then possibly use either a 2-part liquid polyurethane foam, or just cans of expanding foam to fill it.

Everything is turning out pretty straight so far:

4508665557_7bc034134d.jpg

I've been trying to join segments as I go:

4509304494_ba59b79746.jpg

This was by far the most difficult section so far. I have yet to put in the strips to fill it in:

4509304344_15f2afda76.jpg

And here is where we're at after a busy Saturday. *whew*

4509619250_6ef935032a.jpg

The "laser module" and the targeting box (scope) are also built with pics to come. Right now, this thing sits at about 37" in length, with 2 more sections to go on the front. Thanks to bevbor for the great model, and his patented "snipakura" method, it has been a big help. I actually spoke with Weta to try and get more reference images. Unfortunately there is only one actual prop in existence, and it is now the property of Mr. Neill Blomkamp himself. So anyway, let me know what you think, constructive criticism happily accepted.

-Matt

Looks like your off to a great start!

I don't know if you already have these pics but here:

L967.jpg

(thanks to extreemetactics101)

more pics

(thanks to belakor)

Is it just me, or does the Laser designator look like the butt section of the Sniper Rifle? Laser looking great! :D

Shade said:
Is it just me, or does the Laser designator look like the butt section of the Sniper Rifle? Laser looking great! :D

Probably just uses the same lower receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. When you look it up on the wiki, the laser designator uses a modified body structure of an S99 sniper rifle, so yes you guys are exactly right.

Thats coming along great, straighter than anything ive done thats for sure. So your working off the pep file and reinforcing it with cardboard as you go?

Burke said:
Thats coming along great, straighter than anything ive done thats for sure. So your working off the pep file and reinforcing it with cardboard as you go?

Exactly. I printed off the side panels without tabs, placed the pattern onto cardboard, then placed the cardboard behind the final piece.

Burke said:
Awesome, are you going to resin it after? Or do you have a different plan to harden it?

From first post:

"I've left the bottom open on all of the segments so far. My plan is to resin inside and outside, then possibly use either a 2-part liquid polyurethane foam, or just cans of expanding foam to fill it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back