Anyone Wanna Slice A Frigate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Pistolero329

Hey everyone

After being inspired by all the props and armour from this site, I've decided to make a Halo short film. It'll be set immediately prior to the start of the Human-Covenant War and focus on a pair of ODSTs. Now for the intro, I want to have shots of a UNSC Frigate flying in space, but I want to avoid using a CG model and instead use a physical model on a bluescreened background.

Unfortunately, my scratch building skills suck and I haven't been able to find any pep or sliced files for a Frigate, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to slice this model that I found on Google Sketchup?

Frigate

Alternatively, since this is set before the Human-Covenant War, any Halo buffs think this frigate is sound? Or would another type of ship be more suitable given the time period?

Any help would be much appreciated

-El

well i have started out making a frigate. its a scratch build at about 3 feet long. its half a cm thick but when layered it will be the full 3d thing. its no where near completion as i have other projects at the moment including an odst pistol and smg along with a gears of war lancer rifle.

El Pistolero said:
Unfortunately, my scratch building skills suck and I haven't been able to find any pep or sliced files for a Frigate, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to slice this model that I found on Google Sketchup?

man, I wish I knew how to slice models... sliced models are a nice change from all the pepakura thats done around here...

Last edited by a moderator:
To Shadows0fIntent:

Dang 3 feet long, if I ever get working on one I won't be making it that big or I'll go insane haha good luck with that man I'd love to see what you have done! Do you mean that your using half cm layers of whatever material its being built out of? The frigate will hopefully be my next project after my Weta ODST suit, Silenced SMG and the SOCOM.

To Jeddychan:

I hear ya, it just seems to me that a sliced weapon saves so much hassle as compared to a pepped one since you don't have to worry about them collapsing in on themselves before/during/after strengthening lol. For the most part the weapons I'll be using in my film will be sliced files to make them easier to build.

El Pistolero said:
To Jeddychan:

I hear ya, it just seems to me that a sliced weapon saves so much hassle as compared to a pepped one since you don't have to worry about them collapsing in on themselves before/during/after strengthening lol. For the most part the weapons I'll be using in my film will be sliced files to make them easier to build.

hey if you figure out some easy way to slice a model, feel free to let me know... Id be really interested in getting more experience under my belt... I just recently learned how to extract bioshock models...

Jeddychan said:
hey if you figure out some easy way to slice a model, feel free to let me know... Id be really interested in getting more experience under my belt...

Sorry bud, I haven't been making my own sliced files, wish I knew how to or this frigate issue wouldnt be an issue lol. If you haven't though, check out L3X BLU3R1V3R's sliced weapons thread in the weapons and props section, that's what I've used. Mad props to L3X BLU3R1V3R by the way!

El Pistolero said:
Sorry bud, I haven't been making my own sliced files, wish I knew how to or this frigate issue wouldnt be an issue lol. If you haven't though, check out L3X BLU3R1V3R's sliced weapons thread in the weapons and props section, that's what I've used. Mad props to L3X BLU3R1V3R by the way!

well what I meant is if you figure out how to make sliced models on your own, so you can slice the frigate, feel free to share where you learned it, or what you learned...

Jeddychan said:
well what I meant is if you figure out how to make sliced models on your own, so you can slice the frigate, feel free to share where you learned it, or what you learned...

Ah yeah my bad, if I figure anything out I'll definitely share... though if anyone's waiting I wouldn't expect anything soon if I were you lol

El Pistolero said:
Ah yeah my bad, if I figure anything out I'll definitely share... though if anyone's waiting I wouldn't expect anything soon if I were you lol

thanks, and hopefully someone will come along and help you...

Well, I was gonna try to make a 1/430 scale Frigate to match a Pelican I made in that scale. (Don't ask me, it was a German dude's idea.) But, I gave up because that puts it over a meter long.

Sorry I can't really help here, though, because I have no skills in the arts necessary, I just felt like posting.

I will say, though, that Frigates have been around forever. They were around prior to the SPARTAN-II project, even. I'm pretty sure they're as old as the Halcyon-class, if not older. Definitely a sound choice. Though, if you wanted, you could skip the small detail and go with a Halcyon, since that was also around, and they don't get near as much love as the Frigate, anyway. (We've seen, what? 5 Halcyons in the whole universe? Autumn, Texas, Belfast, Armstrong, and Dawn Under Heaven (which is just mentioned in a book) Versus like 11 Frigates.... (Though some are unnamed...))

Halcyon needs love! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back