First Project (Iron Man)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bopx

I joined a while ago, but never really got serious about it untill now. I tried pepping a master chief helmet once- it got warped in the glassing process since my paper was too weak haha (it was too big anyways). So this is my first 'official' project that I will try to finish. Most of my AP tests are over, so hopefully free time will follow suit! I originally wanted to make an ODST one, but then I saw Iron man 2 the other day and after comparing the pep files, decided that ironman would take a considerable less amount of time and money.

I've started Samuray's mod of Dungbeetle and Mr Oreo's ironman helmet This is what I have so far:

[attachment=16456:ironman pep 1.JPG]

[attachment=16457:ironman pep 2.JPG]

I love burning myself repeatedly! Also managed to glue my notebook to the desk ;D

Hopefully I can finish this by tonight! (Although I'm not sure if that's even physically possible..)

My only worries are about sizing the other parts, especially the torso one. Unfortunately I can't just compare myself to other people on the site and copy what they did... being short and female it's a bit different and I don't trust that mathematical "take your height and do some other stuff and apply that to everything" resizing deal at all.

bopx said:
I joined a while ago, but never really got serious about it untill now. I tried pepping a master chief helmet once- it got warped in the glassing process since my paper was too weak haha (it was too big anyways). So this is my first 'official' project that I will try to finish. Most of my AP tests are over, so hopefully free time will follow suit! I originally wanted to make an ODST one, but then I saw Iron man 2 the other day and after comparing the pep files, decided that ironman would take a considerable less amount of time and money.

I've started Samuray's mod of Dungbeetle and Mr Oreo's ironman helmet This is what I have so far:

[attachment=16432:ironman pep 1.JPG]

[attachment=16433:ironman pep 2.JPG]

I love burning myself repeatedly! Also managed to glue my notebook to the desk ;D

Hopefully I can finish this by tonight! (Although I'm not sure if that's even physically possible..)

How short is short? I know Stealth is vertically challenged :p might get by with his scale.

Oh and are you sure IM will take less time? I can't see that will the back flaps and all the other sectioned parts, looks easy but there are a ton of parts to do. ;)

My only worries are about sizing the other parts, especially the torso one. Unfortunately I can't just compare myself to other people on the site and copy what they did... being short and female it's a bit different and I don't trust that mathematical "take your height and do some other stuff and apply that to everything" resizing deal at all.

How short is short? I know Stealth is vertically challenged :p might get by with his scale.

Oh and are you sure IM will take less time? I can't see that will the back flaps and all the other sectioned parts, looks easy but there are a ton of parts to do. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Woa, that's awesome!

Keep doing this, please, hehe

I'm building my "first" real project too, one Mark IV helmet

("""" I used that because my first project was a Recon Helmet, and.. Gosh, that really sucks :D )

Hope you finish this!

Cheers from Brazil!

Finhead said:

Lol I'm about 5 5 but hip and waist sizes would probably differ a lot from male to female I would think

No, I'm not sure of that at all, but I'm definitely sure it would take less money xD

ZanoStorck said:
Woa, that's awesome!

Keep doing this, please, hehe

I'm building my "first" real project too, one Mark IV helmet

("""" I used that because my first project was a Recon Helmet, and.. Gosh, that really sucks :D )

Hope you finish this!

Cheers from Brazil!

Thanks! and gl on your project too :)

bopx said:
Lol I'm about 5 5 but hip and waist sizes would probably differ a lot from male to female I would think

No, I'm not sure of that at all, but I'm definitely sure it would take less money xD

If you say so. :) -

I think he's around the same height, but your going to have to go with height over anything to fit ya anyway. There is no option in PEP to scale only one measurement, it's all 3 at one time. ;)

Finhead said:
If you say so. :) -

I think he's around the same height, but your going to have to go with height over anything to fit ya anyway. There is no option in PEP to scale only one measurement, it's all 3 at one time. ;)
How do you mean? 3 what at one time.. sorry if this is horribly nooby for me to ask lol. For the helmet I saw that you could just measure your head and (with extra for room) put that into the scale thing in pepakura. I was hoping to do something like that for the rest of the parts, but I'm still not sure how reliable that is. I'll probably end up checking out STEALTH's measurements in the end haha. I already checked out some of his stuff and it's awesome.

bopx said:
How do you mean? 3 what at one time.. sorry if this is horribly nooby for me to ask lol. For the helmet I saw that you could just measure your head and (with extra for room) put that into the scale thing in pepakura. I was hoping to do something like that for the rest of the parts, but I'm still not sure how reliable that is. I'll probably end up checking out STEALTH's measurements in the end haha. I already checked out some of his stuff and it's awesome.

What I mean is when you change the height/lenght of something it also changes the width and depth of said piece. So you need to get the height/length correct and either mod the piece or pad it to fit which ever the case may be. :) Yep he has one of the best if not the best builds around for IM/WM. :)

Finhead said:
What I mean is when you change the height/lenght of something it also changes the width and depth of said piece. So you need to get the height/length correct and either mod the piece or pad it to fit which ever the case may be. :) Yep he has one of the best if not the best builds around for IM/WM. :)

Ah, thanks.

bopx said:
Ah, thanks.

NP, you can PM me if you need any help. I have an IronMan build on the go as well, went through alot of what your going to. ;)

Finhead said:
NP, you can PM me if you need any help. I have an IronMan build on the go as well, went through alot of what your going to. ;)

Cool! good to know :) I tried to check out yours, but there were no images? All the comments were great so I want to see it..

bopx said:
Cool! good to know :) I tried to check out yours, but there were no images? All the comments were great so I want to see it..

Here's where mine's at for the moment, will start working on it again next week. ;)

38.jpg

42.jpg

26.jpg

bopx said:
Holy cow man! That's so hardcore, sh!t xD Did you use bondo for the smoothing?

Automotive filler not bondo, same deal but way easier to sand since bondo has quit a bit of resin built in.:)

Finhead said:
Automotive filler not bondo, same deal but way easier to sand since bondo has quit a bit of resin built in. :)

It looks killer. I think I may look into this, do you have a preferred brand or anything?

bopx said:
It looks killer. I think I may look into this, do you have a preferred brand or anything?

If you want something really nice to sand and smooth this one is nice and runs about $17 a gallon

US Chem

If you want something to fill and build with ans still have something that sands nice this is good and runs approx $16 a gallon

Evercoat

Anything you can find in a local Autobody supply place that is made by those two companies would be perfect for you. Not sure where your located so I can't say where you would find it.

This is looking good so far. How is that file to put together so far? I just finished putting Dungbeetle's first Iron Man Helmet and want to try the file you are using.

Finhead said:
If you want something really nice to sand and smooth this one is nice and runs about $17 a gallon

US Chem

If you want something to fill and build with ans still have something that sands nice this is good and runs approx $16 a gallon

Evercoat

Anything you can find in a local Autobody supply place that is made by those two companies would be perfect for you. Not sure where your located so I can't say where you would find it.

Dude, thankyou so much ♥ I'm in SoCal, so I don't think I'll have a hard time. At the least there's an Auto Zone down the street haha.

Finhead said:

yeah finhead I'm more like IRON-BOY than iron man

I'm 5'6 so I recommend using the 1.40 scale for the entire upper body parts since you're a girl and probably alot less muscular than me so this way your suit will look really sleek like the CGI version and probably look better overall than mine

scale at 1.40

Neck, torso (chest and back and flaps), shoulder bells, biceps, elbows, and both forearm parts(gauntlet/insert) and hand plate.

Do that for now and see how it goes. I'll help you out a long the way if needed.

just get through those

Whoa. Automotive filler? ... Do want. is there a tutorial on how to use that stuff? I looks a hell of a lot better than Bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back