The Secret To High-Tech Armor In “Iron Man 2″: 3D Printing On Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
rundown said:
around 4000 euro and you got a decent one that is only able to print it on a 10th of a milimeter.

No coloring/texturing tho. I have a local 3d printing service here and they ask for a model (21cm on 18cm on 18 cm and not textured) 340 euro.

Doesnt seem to be to bad for a industrial mockup doesnt it? :) Even if you used it for props it wouldnt be to bad since most prop things sell around that price if its decent.

Yeah, you could probably pay someone to get a 3D model printed up then mold it and keep casting it and selling it until you accumulate enough money to buy your own

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking we could use the info to pep a better more movable glove ?

the top of the fingers look like the pep hd glove posted by Samuel Ling / Strax /Carnage.

i just cant find the link the hand files.

sorry about the over post didn't know this was here :(

unheared said:
i was thinking we could use the info to pep a better more movable glove ?

the top of the fingers look like the pep hd glove posted by Samuel Ling / Strax /Carnage.

i just cant find the link the hand files.

sorry about the over post didn't know this was here :(

I like how you say "we", when it's obvious you have no intention in doing any work yourself.

AceHigh said:
I like how you say "we", when it's obvious you have no intention in doing any work yourself.

your right i shouldn't have type "we"

but it just a idea that no one has typed up yet.

if i could use 3d model program and unfold with the skill you lot have i would.

Hugh Stephen Holder III said:
He's right it will be very faceted and blocky. You'll have to do just as much cleanup. I suggest that you have very good high res modeling skills or know someone that does. You'll also want to learn autoCAD and how different 3d packages use different scaling factors.

You will also need a LOT of $$$

Basic materials for the cheapest 3d printers will run you about $4 per cubic inch. So, you'll be spending almost $1k per material load (including build material and support if needed)

uPrint and V-Flash printers are two of the most affordable personal printers out there. The material cartridges for each of these printers will cost you about $800 - $1000. And that's just the plastic, not the printer itself. Look at spending close to $20,000 initially.

That's a lot of money to be dumping into making a single prop, even if it is going to be cast. If you're very sure of your product, and can produce mass quantities of it (that are in high demand) then I say it's worth it. Still, owning your own machine and buying your own materials will still be considerably cheaper than using an outside service.

Sites based in the US like quickparts.com quoted me around $1400 to build my ODST helmet.

Sites based overseas like shapeways.com (pretty nice) I can build it at $514 - That includes shipping. Shapeways is a good site for 3d printing hobbiests ;)

To use these services though you need to watch your object volume (wall thickness) because they're very stingy about what can be made.

Bottom line - 3D printers will provide accurately shaped parts over several hours. At the end of the process you will still need to detail/sand/paint. So technically it's just taking the $80 you spent on printing cardstock/cutting/glueing/resining and making you pay five times more so you don't have to.

If you have any questions about rapid prototyping or 3d printing feel free to pm me :)

In case anyone was interested in having their 3d work made up for them. This was in a topic a while back regarding 3D printers for this type of work.

im all for the pepakura hand idea

just use the pictures from the game box as referance and the 3d printer ad

sooooooooo must get one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back