Halo regiments by state or city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama here. War Eagle.

I definitely think it would be a good idea to make membership requirements official. Just today, I was wondering if I was actually a member of the 405th, or just the boards, or if both are the same. It doesn't have to be as tight as the 501st' rules - they fulfill a very specific need in the costuming world, take it or leave it. "Movie quality" just means quality in the case of the Halo-Verse. If the boards are set up kinda like the Rebel Legion's, it would be much the same as they are now, but only actual members would see membership-related boards. Tutorials and all that would be in the open, as would costume discussion. Alot of 501st garrison boards are set up the same way - newbies have access to the costuming parts of the board. On my garrison's board, after the newbie has proven to be serious (either through posting or handling for us), they get further access to the chatting parts of the board. Once they have an approved costume, they get full access. No one that I've seen in the year and a half I've been a member has been turned away. That's specific to my area. I know it's different in others. Again though.. that's in the arms of the members themselves. If they accept jackarsery, it's gonna happen. If it's one big family, everyone's welcome.. and that's what my experience with the 501st/RL has been.

It's honestly the best deterent against the piles of folks that sign up begging for help immediately. If it looks a little bit more difficult to get 'in' - it will deter the lazy. And for someone who's serious, it's really not difficult. It's just not as easy as kicking an account up and spamming the board. I'll have to play the counter to the above posts talking about 501st elitism. It depends on where you are - it doesn't exist in my garrison. We've got drama problems here and there, but who has breath and doesn't stir trouble up every so often? I know it happens in other places though, as evidenced by the above posters.

Just bear in mind that it's not something that is absolutely inherent to the 501st. The nazi's are quite often the loudest ones though, and the ones that are remembered. It sucks for the rest of us, but it is what it is. Our membership requirements aren't that hard for most costumes, not when you look at them, and plenty of attempts at making them easier have happened, while maintaining the need for screen accuracy. Putting together a kit for a TK is far easier than half the scratch builds that are on this site. And once you finish most kits, all you have to do is get underarmor and shoes. As long as the build is decent, you're golden. It's not as hard as it seems, and that's coming from someone who had no costuming experience (and not much handy experience either) before catching the sandtrooper bug. And that's not even the easiest costume possible.

Elitism all depends on how it's handled from the get-go. I don't see the community here letting it happen here so harshly.

As far as the political points brought up earlier - maybe look more at the Rebel Legion's way of accepting costumes. You have a few people who intimately know a specific costume, and they're the ones who review the submitted costumes. There's no local bias because the committee is drawn from all over the world. Or at least, there's less of a possible bias. No one else has a say in it's acceptance or denial. I'd almost say to keep the political structure global and purely in the hands of the admin/mods right now. Have a pointman on the ground in each 'regiment' just to report back, figure out get togethers, and so on, but don't have local power structures. Not for as long as possible. Foster local community and don't worry about taking over the world. Just sit back and have fun.

Also, I don't think the 405th would need to be as restrictive as far as not allowing custom gear - Halo's all about customizing with the multiplayer and especially with the way Reach is geared. The armor just needs to look like it walked off the game. And that's what the tutorials and members here try to teach everyone anyways.

It's a hard call to change drastically. I can't see a downside to it though, as long as newbies still have access to the tutorial boards at least. I'd think it would make the community stronger and nip the onslaught-of-lazy I've seen on here in the bud a bit, which would make it easier on every active participant. And by lazy, I do mean the guys that pop on and say "Giv meh armr, nao." The geniune questions/answers would come just the same as they do now.

Edit: Holy crap, that was a wall of text.. I may come back and edit that down to make sense lol. Annnd I just noticed Torsoboy may have been a member of the garrison I'm in.. Goes to show two sides of the coin. How long ago were ya in? Things must have changed. I don't wanna drag it onto here but may catch you IRL at con sometime or over PM.

Hooray at AceNat being another Aussie. Too few of us. :p

I wish there was a feature on this site that'd let us find other members near us.

GOD DANG IT!!! I REGRET MOVING!!! I lived in Texas for 2 and a half years until my dad's company transfered him to Malaysia!! Its sucks here.

Summerville, South Carolina here. It would be great to be able to link up with other local 405th prop builders.

starting that alabama ODST platoon so anyone that want's in let me know becasue i'm about to start my film and the marines and odst's are getting geared up and i've talked to the Alabama ghostbusters and they might team up with us for events.

Going to throw myself into here, just wondering if anyone is from NY or New England. I am located about 1 hour or so from NYC in Orange county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back