Fiberglass resin vs Aqua resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
backyard fx says to use aqua resin. they say its cheaper and far less toxic than anything else you can use. im going with the aqua resin only because its cheaper.

it seems that aqua resin is a bit more expensive than polyurethane resin.

What I like about Aqua Resin is that it's just not toxic. What I don't like about it is that it can collapse your model if the aqua resin mix is too much.

I usually stick with fiberglass resin these days cause they're much easier to access to getting some more, if i need some more of those. Aqua resin, I would have to keep ordering more and wait for the shipping to arrive.

Thanks, well now I know
Aqua resin is pros: cheaper, non-toxic cons: harder to get
Fiberglass resisn pros: easier to get cons: more expensive

Also how much aqua resin(two starter kits) vs fiberglass resin(?) do I need to use for a whole suit?

well in my experience, not that Im an expert or anything FG Resin is cheaper, a quart is $10.00 a gallon $35 and it has the advantage you can find any at a dozen places locally almost wherever you are (@ least in north america) it does have the drawback of being highly toxic. though another option in the overall scheme is SmoothCast polyureathane plastic resins while thier inital cost outlays seem extravagant. a 1 gallon kit is $80 dollars 1 gallon is actually 2 gallons 1 gallon of part A and 1 gallon of part B. you can use really small batches to do the outside then slushcast w/ it on the inside, by passing ungawdly things like fiberglass and its non toxic, yes you have to order it online, unless you are fortunate enough to live in one of the few cities reynolds advanced materials happen to be located. just giving you a little more information. another thing to keep in mind doing armor isnt cheap you'll still end up spending several hundred by the time your done almost anyway you do it, the pep way.

ok thank and Do you know how much aqua resin comes in the starter kit? Because I can't find it on there web site. Also Have you made a whole suit, if you have how much fg resin did you use?

Almost every FG resin quart I've seen has been $15.

You should call them up and find out everything. They are nice and helpful. They'll ship you a kit.

I know of only 1 company that makes Aqua resin. It is a little more expensive. I haven't used it before so I can't comment.

I bought my FB resin from http://www.uscomposites.com. I bought 2 gallons and I barely used 3/4 of a gallon. I am almost done resining my kids 2 costumes. The resin is pinkish and watery but comes out great. As long as I use precaution (outdoor, gloves and mask filter) I am good to go. After a few days the toxic fume will dissipate.

The best part is US Composites also sell fibercloth in roll. Helps when you need to cut the cloth in size. I will post some pictures in the next few days to show you what the costume pieces look like.

As promised here are some photos of my work. Hopefully I can complete the costumes before summer ends.

yeah fiberglass is cheaper than aqua resin

but im not sure which one to use fiberglass or aqua

because i don't want to mess up my armor

also when im cutting the piece out of the blueprints

how am i suppose to assemble them into a helmet, armor, and pads

Rubber cement Or Super glue?

Fiberglass is glass, as in "window". What you mean is resin (aka "fiberglass resin", because of the intended use with fiberglass). Both resin and aqua resin can be used without messing anything up - and on the other hand, both can be used to do just that.

Superglue works fine. No idea what the other thing is.

I prefer Hot glue. the last few seconds of the glue cooling down, you can adjust the piece ur glueing to fit perfectly where u need it. also hot glue dosent take that long to dry, u dont gotta worry bout the "bottle" drying up on you as ur glueing something, and if u make a mistake and something dosent glue right, u can use the glue gun to heat up the tab, which will heat up the glue, and cause it to un-glue so u can readjust how you need it.

your normal fiberglass resing is definitly the better choice. ive never seen aqua resing for cheaper than fiberglass resin. my friend has used aqua resin and said he hates it. just buy a good chemical protection mask and you shoud be good to go with fiberglass. ive also found that epoxy resing works quite well for armor. ive never been dissapointed with this company, http://www.westsystem.com/ss/ they have epoxy's that work for as big as boats to as small as snowboards and of course armor! they are a bit more expensive and alot harder to work with but the end result has always been perfection for me. the only situation where i would use aqua resing is if you have to work with non toxic materials. if you have the money try out west sytem for sure.

I used hot glue to assemble, fiberglass resign to harden, and smoothcast 300 for strength! Everything worked out nicely and I would recommend it, but it is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back