well, what do ya know. another progress thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

niinjamasta

here we go so far. fiberglassed recon, and a pepped up forarm. going to fiberglass the forearm before work today. sorry for the low quality pics. cell phone and all that.

0623001229.jpg

0623001229a.jpg

recon helm, one hayabusa shoulder, and the rest regular old sparten ware from halo three. and no the helm isnt hard to do, just a real pain when you are using super glue and it keeps falling apart.

so i started to use a technique i call goop. i mix up the hardener, resin, and the cloth into a paste. and then i put the paste into a space that is hard to get to with your hand. i take a pen and i spread it as thick as i want on the location, being extra careful for any air bubbles. very affective and really fast especially on fine detail parts. only thing is, i like to use a lot of hardener, so i ran out of hardener before i could finish the forearm.

i know how you feel about hot glue.. ugh.. i have screwed up pieces before because it drys to quick. and cant hold some pieces sometimes... how do you "goop" in a more explanatory manor?

i cut up fiberglass cloth into little perices and put it into a container. not to much or the goop wont be runny enough. i then pour into the container some of the reisin, as much as i think i will need. mix the two together and if you deem that it is the right consitancy add the hardener. mix thuroughly. pour it onto the desired location and spread it around. be sure to watch for air bubbles, though you can fix them with bondo or rondo later its still a good idea to avoid them if you can. let it harden. the chemical reaction giong on means that the paper will get REALLY hot. its also a good idea to paint a layer or two of reasin on the outside and let it harden to prevent any warping.

i have only ever used it in at most palm sized amounts. never tested with more then that. thought it really should be fine.

sounds and looks like it works well, i will have to try it when i get to that phase again, so just out of curiosity not sure how far you are on the rest of your armor but im cutting out my chest right now, and wanted someone else opinion, because i am far to lazy to cut out a million pieces for the HD chest, how well do you think detailing the armor with bondo will work instead of just doing the HD. chest?

yea?, lol i think im going to make both anyways but at least i know what one ill use. any idea how to scale pieces.. because both of my sholders are HUGE, so what i was going to do the bicep and shoulder on separate straps..

how tall are you? cus i could give you my measurements if you are the same height as me.

im lucky. i get the files from crackhead (thank you!) and i dont need to scale cus i am the perfect height. but i do know how to scale if you want me to tell you

what i have found is there is no actual formula if you want to get it right. in all technicality you could create a proportional mathematical formula by using a master chief action figure, and scaling up to your size. but that would mean that your body is directly proportional to the master cheifs body. but everybody is different. longer legs, shorter arms and all that. so, based off of the fact that i am assuming you have the newest version of pepakura designer what you want to do for example for the arm is look up a picture of the master chief. look at where the armer starts and stops on him. looking at that, measure that distance (the height of the bicep piece for example.measure from the top of your shoulder down to your elbo) only do it on yourself. add a few mm to calculate in padding. if you got 265, make it 268 or even 270. that is the height. put that in the scale box as height. if you have the right pepakura designer edition it should figure out the rest of that piece for you.

the same goes for every other peice of armer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back