Halo Reach Noble 6 helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ender9492

Jr Member
So I've been working on one of Brandon McClain's Noble 6 helmets, and although I'm not finished yet, I was too anxious to show my progress so far, so here it is!

Front:
06242010.jpg

Right:
06242010003.jpg

Left:
06242010001.jpg

Inside:
06242010005.jpg

Some features:
I took the liberty of dremeling a few details from the in-game helmet not found on the cast (no offense to your wonderful helmet brandon!).
The visor detailing was also dremeled using some sticky foam as a guide to keep the dremel from slipping on the surface. the visor is mounted with a couple of screws and is held in place by friction.
There is a layer of foam that acts as a cushion for the visor between it and the helmet.
I used a Wilcox type NVG mount to add a little bit of that military flare to it.
Motorcycle helmet padding is attached to the inside with velcro.

I still have a fair bit of paint detailing to do (weathering will be added later), and drill out the left aerator, but it's about 85% complete. I am contemplating adding a voice changer (a-la stormtroopers), but I'm not sure if I should since it's never shown as a feature of the Halo-Universe helmets. Also thought about adding some noise-canceling/amplifying headsets built in, and of course I will add helmet lights on each side.

Looking nice! Really great job on the visor detail, adds so much more to the helmet than you'd expect. This looks like it's going to be a seriously pimped out helmet once you're done!

That's kind of my plan. Being in the military, I really want this helmet to have a military feel and function to it, not just be another costume item.

Wonderful job! When I first saw this helmet design, I thought that it was less Halo-like than previous helmets. Something about it just doesn't seem Halo enough to me. But the more I see this helmet, the more I like it. I'm still no the fence about the design not being Halo enough, but it sure is a pretty helmet! And you did a bang up job on it too. I particularly like all the detail around the visor.

that looks amazing..i am in the process of ordering my helmet from brandon too...do you think you could snap a few pics of how you laid down the lines on the vison...i was wanting to do that...but not sure how to approach it and what attachment did you use

@http://www.405th.member.php/11235-penutbuttrbandtpenutbuttrbandt:
I threw away the sticky-foam I had used as a guide as soon as I was done with it, but I'll try to get a general mock up for you today so you have some idea of how i did it.

@Spartan Will-043:
I don't actually make the armor itself, but as parts become available, I will definitely be making a full custom suit.

ender...thanks i would appreciate it...what kind of bit did you use to scribe the visor....i just ordered my helmet and gauntlets and boots from brandon...so i am on my way as well

Hey, that looks great! You did a great job on the cut lines!!! I left them off the original because I knew I would be redoing it as some point, but you did a superb job!!! If you want, feel free to post up some pics on my Reach LT wip!!!

For you PBB:

06262010006.jpg

I first placed a piece of paper as best I could inside the helmet and traced the shape of the visor cut-out-area on to it (bottom left piece of paper in picture). I then re-drew the edges around that tracing so that they were about a half-inch longer on all sides. After that, I cut out the paper shape, and traced it onto the visor with a sharpie, and cut the visor out using a cutting disc with a dremel tool, and then sanded the edges smooth. I also traced the paper cutout onto some black sticky foam (top left). I cut out the center area of the black foam so that i could see, and stuck it to the visor to act as a cushion between the visor and helmet (as shown in the next pic).
Using in-game pictures as references, I drew the shapes of the visor details on the original paper cutout, and then cut THOSE out. I traced onto the green foam (top right), and trimmed the cutouts down so that I could fit a dremel engraving bit in between them.
I stuck the green foam onto the visor, and basically traced it with the dremel bit (be CAREFUL, because this requires a very steady hand, and the bit tends to want to slide very easily!). What I came out with is shown below:

06262010008.jpg

I used the very tiny engraving bit (below pic, middle), to carve all the details in the helmet AND the visor. The tiny bit did okay, but the lines were really thin, hard to see, and a little rough, so after carving all the detail lines in the visor, I went over them with the green grinding bit (on the right), to smooth the lines out (usually comes standard with a dremel kit).
For the rest of the detail on the actual helmet, I went over the lines with the large carving bit (on the left).

06262010009.jpg

As you can see, the lines aren't all THAT smooth up close, but they show up really well now, and look good from a distance.
Make sure you have the dremel on medium to high speed, and go slow and steady!

thanks man...i have all those tools in my dreme kit...thats a nice little tutorial on how to do this...are you using the black sticky foam to mount the visor

Actually, I put two small cross-head crews on each side of the helmet/visor area, drilled a small hole on each side of the visor, and i just poke the screws through the holes on the visor.
Outside:
06262010010.jpg

Inside:
06262010013.jpg

Because the curvature of the visor is slightly wider than the curvature of the helmet, it actually holds itself in place with friction (but the foam helps too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back