Good Afternoon or Morning or Night 405th.
I have stepped away from armor building for a while now, (reason below).
But now that I have completed that project, I turned my attention back to building Halo armor. I have next to no skill pepping and bondoing (despite many attempts).
I found foam also a little too complex for my hand-eye coordination. I admire all of you who are capable of working in those materials and you'll never hear me knock anybody who does.
So, what to do?
My answer: 3D printing.
Now I know its maybe not a good idea, but I will attempt an entire suit of MKVI Halo armor (abandoning my previous build, obviously) using my newly-purchased 3D printer.
I at this point would now like to thank KingRahl for his EXCELLENT Youtube tutorials on 3D modeling for 3d printing, FlyingSquirrel, Robogenesis, and anyone who has modeled/unfolded for the 405th Archive.
I do NOT take credit for the pep models I started with, and won't try and do so.
If anyone wants a step-by-step for I arrived at these models, (I altered KingRahls method slightly), I will gladly write a short tutorial.
Here are some screencaps of my models so far:
Chest piece. Most definitely the largest piece and the one that will require the most "chunking" into my build volume. (8" by 8" by 8")
The boot required the least amount of alteration, thankfully.
The forearm has some odd curves to it and I will tinker with it some more before printing.
I'm rather proud of how the circular indents turned out.
Now the shin looks stretched in the z axis, that is intentional. Being 6' 2", I found that when scaling the MKVI armor for myself, it made the shins almost comically wide.
So I stretched it ever so much so that it won't look like clown pants.
The shoulder also required little alteration, it's mostly the bicep plate that needed the most done to it.
The helmet is what I started with first, and took the longest to finish. I included two views so that the back is shown.
I like the look I arrived at, and comparing to ref pictures I came rather close. I did choose to not model the visor, and it didn't adversely affect the first print like I dreaded it would.
It took 3 tries to get started, but I had to be sure that the bed leveling was perfect, I had some issues where the nozzle was touching the glass.
I set it to the thinnest layering my printer can do (.01mm), and while visible the layering is BARELY detectable to touch. It took 35 hours, but patience is key with this method.
Once I can afford more filament, I'll keep plugging along.
Thanks for looking!