Subscribe
  1. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jun 26, 2016, 3:25 AM - HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersuit #1

    ODSTs are great, but you know whats better? A spartan. And not just any spartan, The Master chief! the best of the best

    I will no longer be a chiefwannabe! I will be a chief!!!! (that sounded cooler in my head)

    Anyway Im going to be building the halo 5 variant of the master chief!

    I am going to build the armour out of foam as usual but Im going to use pepakura for the templates this time, because if im going to do the chief I might as well do him right!
    For the helmet I will either use pep,resin,body filler or buy a master chief disguise helmet and repaint it.

    And as for the undersuit, I am going to try my hand at sewing it! I have read through all the threads I could find about sewing and pattern making. I also have a small bit of experience with sewing as I made a cushion for tech at school
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	28688

    I have a small bit of progress as far as the armour goes. I free-handed the gloves over the weekend( see what I did there? , free-handed the gloves?) as I dont have pep yet and I got bored so this happened!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5135.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	28689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5137.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	28690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	28691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5136.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	28692
    I am so blown away by how this turned out even though they are not finished yet and I figured out a way of saving money on the painting. Don't worry about plasti-dip and just use exterior house paint! give it two coats, one to sink into the foam and one to bring out the colour! the weather it of corse.
    The armour plates were glued on using hot glue and the hand plate had the back texture removed as the hot glue will just pop right of.

    Now Ive done a tone of research on the chief and the halo 4/5 undersuits and the first thing I think I will do is make a duck-tape dummy so I can make the patterns. I will probably do this within a week or two because of, you guessed it, school.

    Im going to do this for two reasons, 1 because I don't have pepakura yet I don't want to sit around doing nothing. And 2, because once I do get pepakura I can scale the armour to fit me correctly due to the added bulk of the under suit.

    I also made a few sketches of the finished thing. They are not the best in the world but they get the job done!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5141.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	28686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	28687

    well thats all i have for now! thanks guys!

    (here we go again!)
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 1, 2016, 3:02 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #2

    hey guys ! update time!
    I had a good mate over today and we made a lot of progress
    we made a duct tape dummy (never again) and we finished the hand plates!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2781.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	28873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2782.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	28874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2783.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	28875

    More updates soon!
  4. 405th Australian Regiment Member Spartan55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Messages
    159
    Spartan55's Xbox Gamertag Shadowkight55
    Jul 1, 2016, 4:33 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #3

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    hey guys ! update time!
    I had a good mate over today and we made a lot of progress
    we made a duct tape dummy (never again) and we finished the hand plates!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2781.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	28873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2782.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	28874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2783.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	28875

    More updates soon!
    Omg haha that frist photo thought
    anyway looks good man
    ps do you know what's better than one pistol two pistols! Any way how much work did you do
  5. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 1, 2016, 5:05 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #4

    Yeah I was reading through your thread! so jealous! Good luck with the painting !
    Do You mean what I did and then what my mate did? I built the glove and he did the painting, and he and my mum both wrapped me up in duct tape.
  6. 405th Australian Regiment Member Spartan55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Messages
    159
    Spartan55's Xbox Gamertag Shadowkight55
    Jul 1, 2016, 6:17 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #5

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    Yeah I was reading through your thread! so jealous! Good luck with the painting !
    Do You mean what I did and then what my mate did? I built the glove and he did the painting, and he and my mum both wrapped me up in duct tape.
    Narr I meant with the gun
    but never mind now I just decided to make them none Funchal
  7. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 2, 2016, 3:48 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #6

    todays update!
    I started trying to make the patterns for the undersuit but i ran out of masking tape so I will continue that during the week.

    And in armour news, I made the shoulder and bicep parts, I free handed these as I thought I will be able to build them by looking at reference images.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5147.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	28894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5148.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	28895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	28896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5146.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	28897

    (the forearm in the last pic is not the final one, I made it about a year ago when i sucked)
  8. 405th Australian Regiment Member Spartan55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Messages
    159
    Spartan55's Xbox Gamertag Shadowkight55
    Jul 2, 2016, 8:30 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #7

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    todays update!
    I started trying to make the patterns for the undersuit but i ran out of masking tape so I will continue that during the week.

    And in armour news, I made the shoulder and bicep parts, I free handed these as I thought I will be able to build them by looking at reference images.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5147.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	28894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5148.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	28895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	28896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5146.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	28897

    (the forearm in the last pic is not the final one, I made it about a year ago when i sucked)
    Omg foam is so much quicker than card stock you been at this how long 1 week 2 weeks and you all ready have just a bout passed me after over a month of work (but only a little amout of time spent is most likely 2 too 3 week)
    but any way looks sweet
  9. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 11, 2016, 5:25 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #8

    hey guys, update time!

    I FINALLY got pepakura! so me being me I jumped on here, downloaded some files and started making some armor!
    I made the forearm first, it took me two tries but I think I nailed it in the end

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5161.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	29190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5162.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	29191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	29192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	29193

    I don know if the scale is right as it is a bit big
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5156.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	29194
    Thanks guys
  10. 405th Colonial Regiment Member Dirtdives's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Messages
    1,267
    Jul 11, 2016, 9:58 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #9

    maybe you could use that piece for your shin?
  11. New Recruit Mr Ackbar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    18
    Jul 13, 2016, 10:35 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #10

    I really want to make a Master Chief costume (from the Halo 5 trailer). You know what else you can use for the undersuit a wetsuit, the only problem is that they are expensive.
    From Mr Ackbar
    ("IT'S A TRAP!")
  12. 405th Canadian Regiment Member Jme's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Messages
    528
    Jul 13, 2016, 11:03 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #11

    Originally Posted by Mr Ackbar View Post
    I really want to make a Master Chief costume (from the Halo 5 trailer). You know what else you can use for the undersuit a wetsuit, the only problem is that they are expensive.
    From Mr Ackbar
    ("IT'S A TRAP!")
    I think you would die in a wetsuit given its propensity to trap heat and due to its inability to breath.

    It would look really cool but...


    "I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie
  13. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 14, 2016, 5:09 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #12

    Originally Posted by Mr Ackbar View Post
    I really want to make a Master Chief costume (from the Halo 5 trailer). You know what else you can use for the undersuit a wetsuit, the only problem is that they are expensive.
    From Mr Ackbar
    ("IT'S A TRAP!")
    Originally Posted by Jme View Post
    I think you would die in a wetsuit given its propensity to trap heat and due to its inability to breath.

    It would look really cool but...


    "I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie
    I was actually thinking of something like this as a back up plan. I found some sort of adhesive backed mesh stuff and i though of cutting the shapes out of that and then glueing then to one of those skin tight suit thingies( I have no idea what they are called)
  14. 405th Canadian Regiment Member Jme's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Messages
    528
    Jul 14, 2016, 6:46 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #13

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    I was actually thinking of something like this as a back up plan. I found some sort of adhesive backed mesh stuff and i though of cutting the shapes out of that and then glueing then to one of those skin tight suit thingies( I have no idea what they are called)
    Ahh, I see. The texture would be great.

    You might be thinking of a morph suit.


    "I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie
  15. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 14, 2016, 7:16 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #14

    Originally Posted by Jme View Post
    Ahh, I see. The texture would be great.

    You might be thinking of a morph suit.


    "I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie
    Yes thats it! thanks!
  16. New Recruit
    Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Messages
    5
    Jul 17, 2016, 3:35 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #15

    Originally Posted by Mr Ackbar View Post
    I really want to make a Master Chief costume (from the Halo 5 trailer). You know what else you can use for the undersuit a wetsuit, the only problem is that they are expensive.
    From Mr Ackbar
    ("IT'S A TRAP!")
    what I'm doing is making 2 spandex suits and sandwiching foam between them in the right areas and sewing the foam in place to make my base undersuit. I will also add some foam to the outside of it if needed, and I will paint certain parts and add hex patterns where its needed. also, if you do it this way, make sure the undersuit goes up to your chin, like in the games, or else you will be able to see skin
  17. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Jul 18, 2016, 2:37 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #16

    Originally Posted by haloelites View Post
    what I'm doing is making 2 spandex suits and sandwiching foam between them in the right areas and sewing the foam in place to make my base undersuit. I will also add some foam to the outside of it if needed, and I will paint certain parts and add hex patterns where its needed. also, if you do it this way, make sure the undersuit goes up to your chin, like in the games, or else you will be able to see skin
    Thats actually a really good Idea! I mights end up using this for my build!
    Thanks man!
  18. New Recruit
    Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Messages
    5
    Jul 18, 2016, 12:28 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #17

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    Thats actually a really good Idea! I mights end up using this for my build!
    Thanks man!
    Yeah. Thanks man. I've been in the 405th for a little, been searching around the forums and YouTube alot lately (I'm getting ready for my first build) and it's nice to finally start helping around. PS, I found this method on YouTube. It's a vid about how to make a muscle suit, but just by rearranging a few things and adding on, it is the best way to make an accurate and unable undersuit.
  19. New Recruit
    Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Messages
    5
    Jul 18, 2016, 7:52 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #18

    Originally Posted by haloelites View Post
    Yeah. Thanks man. I've been in the 405th for a little, been searching around the forums and YouTube alot lately (I'm getting ready for my first build) and it's nice to finally start helping around. PS, I found this method on YouTube. It's a vid about how to make a muscle suit, but just by rearranging a few things and adding on, it is the best way to make an accurate and unable undersuit.
    Also, for a tip, if your doing it this way, only sew in big muscles if you want to Minimize the complete hell of sewing. I'm going to sew in the big muscles and other things that need to be sewn for movement reasons, the way it looks, etc), but for the other parts, I will just take like 1mm craft foam and make pieces that I can paint and glue onto the suit. For armored parts on the undersuit I will use thicker craft foam and maybe some 3/8 eva. So... That was my in depth on how to make imo the best undersuit for looks, mobility, and practicality. If you want to know how to do shoulders, go to impact props on YouTube for a great example. HAPPY BUILDING ��
  20. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Aug 5, 2016, 7:49 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #19

    Hey guys, I wish I had something to show here but I don't. The fuel for the fire has run out for this build and I have lost my motivation for it. Its mainly because every time I go into pepakura and I try and scale something it doesn't fit and is either too big or too small. But this has been a learning experience and no I have little more understanding of what to expect from something like this!
    Also I don't think I am going to be doing another full suit in a while (maybe, Im not sure) as I have my ODST build and I can make small adjustments and upgrades to that!

    I may come back to this build in the future but for now Im going to take my time for a bit.

    Thanks guys!
  21. 405th European Regiment Member
    CommanderPalmer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    1,416
    CommanderPalmer's Xbox Gamertag CommanderPaImer
    Aug 5, 2016, 7:56 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #20

    Originally Posted by Chiefwannabe View Post
    Hey guys, I wish I had something to show here but I don't. The fuel for the fire has run out for this build and I have lost my motivation for it. Its mainly because every time I go into pepakura and I try and scale something it doesn't fit and is either too big or too small. But this has been a learning experience and no I have little more understanding of what to expect from something like this!
    Also I don't think I am going to be doing another full suit in a while (maybe, Im not sure) as I have my ODST build and I can make small adjustments and upgrades to that!

    I may come back to this build in the future but for now Im going to take my time for a bit.

    Thanks guys!
    You've been doing an amazing job on your costume and I'm serious.
    I was really impressed with how much attention you've been paying into this costume and it's great.

    If you need some break, of course you should take it rather than force it.
    However, I'd love to see you coming back to this build.
  22. 405th Australian Regiment Member Spartan55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Messages
    159
    Spartan55's Xbox Gamertag Shadowkight55
    Aug 5, 2016, 8:33 AM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #21

    Hey chief or wannabe (shortened name aside) how tall are you because im casting about 90% of my armour so if we're about the same size I could send you some parts. It's not master chief parts but hell maby you could do a custom like me obviously a bit different to mine (I think if their was more than one of me I would some how find away to create a black hole) but if you're interested just tell me so wean i cast my armour I could send you some if you want.
  23. 405th Australian Regiment Member Chiefwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    342
    Aug 6, 2016, 7:09 PM - Re: HALO 5 Master chief petty officer SPARTAN John-117 foam build with custom undersu #22

    Originally Posted by Spartan55 View Post
    Hey chief or wannabe (shortened name aside) how tall are you because im casting about 90% of my armour so if we're about the same size I could send you some parts. It's not master chief parts but hell maby you could do a custom like me obviously a bit different to mine (I think if their was more than one of me I would some how find away to create a black hole) but if you're interested just tell me so wean i cast my armour I could send you some if you want.
    Private message me

Similar Threads

  1. Master Chief Mk VI -117 (Halo 4/5) Pepakura Build
    By AlexAnderson95 in forum New Recruits
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 4 Days Ago, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 12, 2016, 5:12 PM
  3. Replies: 174
    Last Post: Oct 16, 2015, 12:59 AM
  4. Halo 4 Master Chief and Spartan IV! (Foam Build)
    By Toxic R4ptor in forum New Recruits
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2014, 1:12 AM
  5. Custom Halo 4 Master Chief foam build - EVAkura style
    By EVAkura in forum Halo Costumes and Armor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 28, 2014, 8:50 PM