You DON'T light up my life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupokitty

These make great helmet "lights" for anyone who's too cheap to buy LEDs or are afraid mom might murder them for playing with soldering irons.

4215395cf.jpg

I found them while wandering around Wal-Mart.

0701002150.jpg

The left has the silver sharpie underneath, and the right is just positioned so I can trace a circle around it and color it in with sharpie.

Great idea Kupokitty! This will really help me out if i run out of time before i have to have my suit done!

Danke.

The bumper thingies can be peeled off, too, so you can always go back and try to put the LEDs in later.

and if you buy the right sized led lights you already have a circle for reference when cutting the wholes! XD

The bumpers are a clear material, so you could back light them as well. They look great in place and I've been looking for something like this to cover the LED's since even 5mm are too small. Great find!

Ghetto backlight idea: get four LED keychain lights (the kind that have an on-off switch, not hold-down-to-stay-on), and hotglue them behind the clear bumpers inside the helmet (with the switches facing out of course). Later if you decide to go with a full wired in LED system you can always peel off the hot glue (or if the batteries go dead...).

However, some of us aren't comfortable enough around wiring, batteries, soldering irons, etc. Nothing wrong with having options.

Yeah, I had to go with black electrical tape.

Last time i used a solder, I got 4 huge blisters that gave 4 ugly scars.
But thats just me for being a retard :p

thats a really great idea!! nice one :) especially if you dont have the confidence with soldering X3 my brothers an electritian so im all sorted lol XD

The only way to learn is by doing. A radioshack soldering iron is not that expensive. I've been soldering since I was 13 or 14 and I can't remember ever getting burned.

I always got used to the burns lol, but they were all on my fingertips, so it looks cool when you get my prints in ink... not that i've done anything illegal... and got caught..... yaaaaaa........

Last time I used a soldering iron, it didn't turn on for likr... an hour. I think I may have accidentally broken it D:

If you want them to appear to light up better, you could probably back them with some high reflective tape instead of a silver Sharpie.

yeah a soldering tutorial would be a very sound idea.
should include basics like Fluxing and Tinning the tip too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back