Paint hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used chrome spray before with success. THe one thing I learned (after developing the patience to let things fully dry) is to used the same brand name for all paints. i.e. Krylon fusion primer, krylon fusion chrome. I've had all sorts of weirdness happen when I mix paint brands, especially if the over coat has any type of gloss.

This is SO True , always try to use the same brands , even when the can says it's the same type of paint , you never can be sure . I also found out that clear coats are best sprayed when the temperature is higher , when it's cold you might get an uneven result.

You can compensate for temperature by putting the can in a deep bowl or small bucket filled with hot water. Let it sit in there for a few min then give it a good shake and put it back in the water. That will thin out the paint in the can and bring it up to a usable temperature.

I just used a chromish type paint today and at times it's like the paint didn't spray out evenly or something and the paint came out almost, foamy? I don't know how else to describe it but it gave me a major angry face => D :<

im glad somebody has found this stuff out, i was thinking about buying a can of gold chrome paint, to see if i could get a light enough layer on some clear plastic that you can see through. im going to try and drop form a security visor so i need to get it gold tinted somehow.

i had a werid thing happen to a chrome spray paint can it vented all its accelerant so i had half a can that was useless

you're going to have to entirely strip that handplate you painted. The problem was there's a residue that caused that to orange peel, it's either grease, or a wrong primer. You can actually still use the paint chrome while the primer is still not fully dry (as in painting within flashtime) and won't do this.

I'm really new to this site so someone may have already mentioned this. I thought I'd leave this note about rattle can painting.

In addition to trying to use the same types/brands of paint I learned that warming up the paint helps it to go on better and gives me less problems. It doesn't do away with the problems. I hate spray paint actually! But unless we invest in large spray booths we're stuck with it hey? :)

So to warm the paint cans up you just do the following:

Run some HOT water in a large cup or something big enough to put the can in about half to 2/3s.

Drop your can in the hot water and leave it for about 10 mins.

Then SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. I even roll the can back and forth in my hands. The idea is go blend up all the paint inside.

Finally spray light coats as normal.

Another thing I've discovered is that IF its too cold or too hot and you bring your work inside to the house before it's set up. The paint can do weird things.

Hope that helps
Jenny

paint hates me too. :/
id sand it all back down and start over. i wouldnt full with chrome it will just get scratched up and show real quick.
good luck if you give it another go though. :)

B4386DEB-2CCF-4945-8AA4545D355A48FC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back