Paint hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupokitty

So there I was, wielding a can of chrome spray paint, eager to make my handplates SHINY. I thought I had let my primer dry long enough, so I started spraying the shiny-ness on the handplates, but then the chrome did something weird. It looked corroded and splotchy. I'm guessing it's a result of the primer not being completely dry and still somewhat fume-y.

Has anyone else had this problem before? I need to know if I can make it un-splotchy, and if it'll affect the paint I plan on layering on top of the chrome.

Flyerfye, post pics of my handplates so these people can see what I'm talking about. Please? >__>

This has happened to me twice and the first time it was from me not letting primer dry and the other is from not shaking the chrome up. You either sand it off or just see another coat makes it better, I just sanded it off. Hope this helps :)

with paints like chrome and such, you REALLY need to shake the can up well because the "shiny-ness" separates from the paint while sitting in the can

If you didn't, you also need to sand the primer after it dries to make it smooth again. I also find that if you spray "indirectly," you can avoid splotching and "pooling." Make sure you keep a reasonable distance as well

Whoops, been away from my computer all day. Here they are.

queenplates.jpg

They finally dried, though! Having been there, my vote is for more can shaking, and lighter coats. I can... also sand out that fingerprint I left in one. (I am a giant idiot.)

I'll do a material test with that can on some scrap stuff tomorrow, if I can.

Edit: By the way, I had my own paint malfunction on Sunday morning, so the paint hates me too.

Oh man, that chrome stuff sucks. One of my friends tried to paint a little bit of his bike with it, and he left it for a week so that it would completely dry, then the very first touch he left a huge fingerprint. I also tried to paint a bit of a gun with it and it never dried, it just ended up feeling like you were holding a plastic gun covered in clay. It was annoying as. But if you do manage to figure out how to make the spray-on chrome work please post it because I would very much like to know :)

Thanks mate

Oh! I made some progress with the stuff on Monday, however, I only told Queen, and forgot about this thread. Oops! Anyway, the chrome paint isn't impossible, it's just finicky as frak, and impossible to get totally accurately "chrome" without... magic, or something. The trick is huge amounts of can shaking, and even more light coats. The heavier you spray it on, the longer it takes to dry, up to a point where it pretty much just DOESN'T dry. It also starts to drip and run, and all the chrome runs to the bottom, leaving the top parts just grey and terrible looking. It's a huge pain. There's a very fine line between when it just looks like multiple layers of silver dust, and drippy goop that never dries. As far as I can tell, the trick to it is "avoid using it at all if you can". I spent about half an hour just spraying different amounts and distances on scrap material, just to figure out how to use the stuff most effectively. I've also noted that it seems to get better results on very flat, smooth surfaces.

Scrap material test:
IMG_4320-small.jpg

Handplates now:
IMG_4322-small.jpg

Glad to know I'm not the only one I used some of that spray on truck undercoating to give armor not halo related some texture before painting it and after painting it anything I would bump into would scratch through the paint and the undercoating the hard part was when I packed all my armor up for a con to take on greyhound and when I got to the place I was staying and unpacked the armor I had to rush to fix the paintjob.

That's weird? I never had paint turn on me before.

but then the chrome did something weird. It looked corroded and splotchy. I'm guessing it's a result of the primer not being completely dry and still somewhat fume-y.
If you think your pieces are dry, give it another 30 minutes to an hour. I know it may be a long time to wait, but it will help you out in the long run when painting up pieces.

I NEVER touch paint with my hands. What I do is get something small, like a piece of paper. I roll it up until I have a smal tip and make sure it isn't pointy(Pointy tips can scrape wet paint up and ruin your life)I gently touch the pieces in areas that are most likely to have pools of paint(Like the hole things on the handplates.) . If the paper even shows a tiny bit of paint, don't mess with it for the rest of the day.

I'm just throwing my $3.50 here.

-Pony

Chrome/Aluminum paints are junk. All of them.
They also NEED to be clear coated. If not it will rub out/off.
That's just the nature of fake chrome paints..
If you just want a metallic undercoat, just use regular silver paint.
If you REALLY want to pretend its metal under the paint, apply aluminum tape then paint.

OMGAAHH This same exact thing happened to me!
I was working on the mold for my ODST visors and for the hell of it I primed it and sprayed it with some chrome and clear coat, making sure each coat dried.
10 minutes later i picked it up and the paint was soft and wrinkling to every touch and fingerprint. I had to sand it all off and it was very difficult because the paint was all sticky and rubbery like.

oh i have something to add. i remember when taking an autobody repair/ refinishing class, all paints don't always combine easily with other types of paints/ clear coat. this might be why the silver messes up after spraying some clear coat over it

i forgot what type exactly but just check the cans and they should say what type of materials they work with

So many variables! Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll do tests with chrome + very old can of clear coat I found in the garage tonight. And then maybe go buy a new can of clear coat.

dont use chrome in spraycan it wil never hold its only used to display stuff and never to be touched again, no mather how good you sand it or prime it , if you want stuff chromed it wil cost you.

Hope this helps

Chrome/Aluminum paints are junk. All of them.
They also NEED to be clear coated. If not it will rub out/off.
That's just the nature of fake chrome paints..
If you just want a metallic undercoat, just use regular silver paint.
If you REALLY want to pretend its metal under the paint, apply aluminum tape then paint.
Exactly :)
You need clear coat, and yes, Heather, you can paint on top of the clear coat

I've used chrome spray before with success. THe one thing I learned (after developing the patience to let things fully dry) is to used the same brand name for all paints. i.e. Krylon fusion primer, krylon fusion chrome. I've had all sorts of weirdness happen when I mix paint brands, especially if the over coat has any type of gloss.

What I use to do when I painted cars was have a test card and for ever coat of what ever I put on the car I put a coat on the test card. Then you use the test plate to see it you paint is ready for another coat. Then you don't have to worry about finger prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back