Pepakura Lich King Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
opening

I can't open the files for the armor. Helmet yes, sword, yes, and chest plate. But the shoulders and everything else is .obj and won't open for me. Yes i'm a noob :p

Yeah i dont have unfold all of them at moment . I Pep the Belt at moment and i have that unfold if you want it. I Unfold them when i do the item i think the next will be the shoulders
Saske

great job!!
I have been following this thread and I have tried to download the Lich King helmet but I cant seem to open it. I was wondering what program would I need to view the helmet? Thanks for sharing your files :D

This is possibly the coolest armor i have stumbled upon recently. I have decided to attempt these files and make my very first pepakura art! My blog will detail my endeavors because i feel this is entirely possible to do! Don't wanna get banned though on my first day as a user so i wont advertise my blog unless someone shows interest :) Also Saske, the lich kings boots are designed with a toe piece and a heel piece and it would be sweet if you could make the pep files for those too or if anyone knows how he did the HD ones let me know so i can create the entire set!!!!

So i have been working on the helmet and learning pepakura since about the 23rd of June. Saske's helmet is doable if you have patience I think. Hope its okay to post the image directly from the blog I started on my peping adventures:

blogger-image-14209214.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing how this turns out later I can post back here in the forum or alternatively anyone is welcome to follow my blog too.

http://armor-from-paper.blogspot.com/

-Vinnie

Hey Vinnie Im extremely interested in this and im dying to have the pepfiles (unfolded) to do this. when i goo to ur site tho its just fighting with me and wont allow me to go to the download link. Please message me regarding teh files id much appreciate it!

no problem, check your Inbox shortly and there should be the files. Originally the pep files were compressed in .rar files from Saske and need to be unpacked to get the .obj files. after they are unfolded in pep designer they are saved as .pdo files. I have sent you the .pdo files I am working with and the unfolded helmet is arranged into sections in a rough order of how I assembled it as well as my next project the gauntlets. Be patient because I am actually done with the helmet (pictures soon on my blog, its a few days behind my actual progress) and the smallest details make all the difference when cutting.

-Vinnie
http://armor-from-paper.blogspot.com/

As promised I am sharing the helmet when I completed it. sorry about the foggy top, I scratched my lens earlier in the week and am waiting on a replacement. This was a 2 week build for me usually working for 4-8 hours a day on cutting and gluing but it can be done. My advice to anyone new... dont do this as your first pepakura project like me... I am sick of Pepakura for a while now :p

blogger-image-1301407159.jpg

blogger-image-1643952150.jpg

The gloss you see on the paper is me experimenting with epoxy instead of fiberglass resin. I realize now its not as rigid and will be fiberglassing the helmet at a later time. total height used was 690mm in pep, which is an 8" diameter from ear to ear (roughly). my hat size is 7.25 and i gave myself room for padding later.

-Vinnie

Found out the hard way Fiberglass resin and Epoxy dont bond together well, oh well. I have fiberglassed the inside if the helmet entirely and used strings and toothpicks to keep parts aligned and symmetrical. Hopefully the rest of the armor is easier to build ;P

Much thanks again to Saske for editing and supplying the HD Oblivion mod armor

IMG_0467.PNG

IMG_0468.PNG

blogger-image-186262480.jpg

Another update. added resin to the helmet over the sanded epoxy and the resin hasn't cured all the way so its still a little tacky. here's a pic with me wearing the helmet and now I am going to work on other pieces of the armor but the helmet is doable. Good luck everyone!

blogger-image--1985973837.jpg

Finally got the gauntlets done! New job has kept me occupied but another piece can be done :)

Left then right shoulders next. Working on editing the files to make my cutting and folding easier. Will share when i get done and check my blog in my signature for periodic updates!

New update. The left and right shoulder pieces are done, but not fiberglassed. Working on the chest which should be in a day or two.

IMG_0554.PNG

I am starting to think that I am posting to a Dead thread :p

IMG_0598.JPG

The chest piece seems to need a lot of smoothing later on because it is very rough to look at

The edited pieces as I post them can be found HERE

Not dead, and really impressive. Do you happen to have the files for this already unfolded? I've had some problems with the ones (mainly the helmet) I've found online. Any way I can get the files from you if so?

Thinking about lich king for next year's Halloween. Please do continue :) I didn't know pepakura even existed, but I'm handy enough and it seems doable but it will probably take me 6-8 months..

I'm also following this thread with great interest. Good job so far! But just thought I'd add, I've worked with epoxy a great deal (I use marine-grade West System epoxy - it has great wet-out properties but definitely isn't cheap at about 3x the price of polyester). It's a little more flexible than polyester (more flexibility means you can use less glass without your piece being as prone to breaking), but I've not had any problems with it not being rigid enough for most models made with cardstock paper to hold their shape, and I've done some really huge pep models too which held up pretty well once the outer coat was cured too. It just takes a good 3-4 days for epoxy to cure to maximum strength, and during that time, you need to ensure your pep model has enough support that it doesn't collapse or bend out of shape during the wait, or it will finish curing and stay that way. On the upside though, virtually no noxious fumes, and the surface of cured epoxy resin doesn't stay tacky like it tends to for polyester resin (well, it's a plus if you're not looking to do multiple layups). If you used a decent epoxy (I'm not sure what type you bought, but it doesn't sound like it was marine grade), that's the likeliest reason why the polyester didn't stick to it very well - polyester's adhesion properties aren't as good as epoxy's, and because epoxy's surface cures smooth and tack free, you would have to sand it with low-grit paper to give your model a much rougher surface for the polyester to adhere to, so it's better to simply not mix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back