Dutch ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest James I've never made one. And these helmets would not do very well as paintball masks, I've seen them take a hit from a paintball and they don't hold up. Also you've just started learning, I was the same way when I started and it's frustrating cause you want to get it done but you have to take your time and work at it you'll get the helm you want and have the satisfaction of saying I built this. If you need advice look into the mentor program, there are plenty of veterans that are willing to help YOU make your armor and encourage YOU to learn the skills needed to do it.

Just a minor update here, working on getting the ridge detail and shape right. I'll be taking a few pics this weekend so I'll have a few new ones soon.

Well firstly, why do you like ODST helms so much? If you have to pick a helmet to make, why not Recon? I mean.... it's effin RECON! lol.... Alright, whatever, it's your helmet..... But just why....? Ok, well thanks for the helmet and please email me about what you're gonna do soon...

Doing an awesome effort, keep up the goopd work.
Ive just started sanding my ODSt helmet, before hitting it with the putty :)

Ok so a quick update.
dscf3398m.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3396r.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3397f.jpg

By misfitjh That's it for now hopefully I'll get more done this weekend.

Thanx ace, this one is taking alot longer than I thought those ridges are such a pain in the butt to get and keep straight.

Thank you Ace and Indigo, I just put the second coat of resin on it tonight. Going to glass it tomorrow. I rondoed the inside of my Master Chief so I'm going to try fiberglass on this one.

Can you email me some pics of your MC helmet? I want to see some of your finished work. I know you're great at making ODST helmets, but no offence, they suck. It seems to me like everyone just makes ODST because it's less work. And maybe it's great practice. I don't know. I just want to see what your other stuff looks like.

It seems like no matter who is doing the work, who is taking the photos, etc......... There's always a drink of some kind there..... WHY???????????????????????????? It's just something I've noticed.... Kind of peculiar.

Can you email me some pics of your MC helmet? I want to see some of your finished work. I know you're great at making ODST helmets, but no offence, they suck. It seems to me like everyone just makes ODST because it's less work. And maybe it's great practice. I don't know. I just want to see what your other stuff looks like.

you know its probably not a good thing to say odst's suck in a thread where Misfitjh is doing an odst right?
i dont think people make odst because 'its less work' .. have you seen how many pieces there are in an odst suit? its kinda detailed..
and this is a thread titled Dutch ODST so its going to be all about Misfitjh's Dutch odst...

keep up the good work Misfit :D

edit: and Jamesishott7 you should edit posts rather than double post

I like the ODST because they remind me of well ME I was Canadian Special Forces many years ago and we did the same thing. Your dropped into the middle of hell usually feet first from a plane, with limited supplies and weapons. You do what ever it takes to get the job done and get your butt home in one peace. So when I watched Halo Legends there awhile ack the guys in the ODST squad reminded me of the guys in my squad. They both had very similar personalities.

Alright, I did not know that. Thanks John. And Ace, I figured out how to do that. I didn't realize it was a big deal then I found out why. I try not to much more. But sometimes I have to.

There is almost a zen art to it you tend to go blank and just sand, also that's still the 80 grit stage I haven't done the 120 grit yet.

Wow, amazing work! I'm at about the same stage as you right now with my own Dutch Helmet. I just sanded it down for the first time today, and plan on filling and sanding again tomorrow. It's kinds cool seeing how these should look from other perspectives. I have a lot planned for my helmet, but we will see how it goes.
Great work again, keep it up!

Something I figured out is that with 120 if you go with hard circles over tiny blemishes it actually can get rid of the pin holes! It seems crazy but works better than spot putty I think..

True I find it works for small pin holes. The deep one I bevel out with a sharp knife or drill bit and refill. So just an update, I had put this away for awhile to finish my Master Chief helmet because it was so close to being done. I've picked it up again while I'm working on the MC chest peace. I'm doing all the bondo work on Dutch and the Recon helmet while I wait for the fiberglass to set. Kind of a circle of work thing, keep them rotating and it keeps me busy. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a few new pics for the threads and possibly a totally new thread to boot.

Looks awesome so far, Here's hoping my build goes so well, lol
You mentioned you used Rondo for one of your other helms and fiberglass for this one?
What did you find to be the pros/cons of the two methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back