Dutch ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm the pros/cans of rondo and fiberglass. That's a good question, now if I miss anything anyone feel free to add it in.

Fiberglass
Pros
It can be strengthened using other materials (Kevlar, carbon fiber, window screening etc)
If you use the mat fiberglass you can shred it to get into tight places

Cons
Uses a lot of brushes
Uses a lot of resin
you need to have on hand at least 2 packs of fiberglass
Takes awhile to set
Have to do multiple layers for any real strength
Messy

Rondo
Pros
Easy to use
sets in a short amount of time
You only need one or two brushes
gets in all the small spaces
easier to make repairs

Cons
Uses bondo up faster
May not be as strong as fiberglass
Sets quickly

wow, this is awesome... ive been wanting to do an odst, i have one printed out, but this dang halo game, and i also have Jorges helmet printed... so much stuff going on... its sooo smooth and thats only 80 grit?

Yep I haven't started with the 120 yet. Here is another WIP pic.
dscf3482q.jpg

By misfitjh
The problem with this helm is that it was made with 65lbs paper. That's all I could find when I first started out so I had a few wrinkles here and there. Like I said in another post I really dig the helms they come up with for these game so I will probably do most if not all of them.

Sweet, thanks for the pro/con list.
I've been working on the Dutch helm for about a week and a half as well. about 80% done with the Pep.
Though mine is looking alright for a first timers its no where near the level yours is at, lol. But that comes with practice I guess.

Can't wait to see your finished helm

The hardest part I found to this helm was the trenches that run from front to back on the top of the helm. They were a pain to make and a pain to keep straight when bondoing

lol i can imagine,
I've been having issues with the side vents, but i think i know what i need to do to fix that (need to modify the Pep file)

How're you doing the lense?

I like the ODST because they remind me of well ME I was Canadian Special Forces many years ago and we did the same thing. Your dropped into the middle of hell usually feet first from a plane, with limited supplies and weapons. You do what ever it takes to get the job done and get your butt home in one peace. So when I watched Halo Legends there awhile ack the guys in the ODST squad reminded me of the guys in my squad. They both had very similar personalities.

I also decided to do an ODST character coz I am trained in the military as a paratrooper. Hence the character really appeals to me. No not everyone wants to be a spartan I'm afraid.

Awesome work on this helmet. I am watching as you go as I am building the same....just much slower progress. Thanks for continuing to post your progress and your tips :)

Your welcome Sabre I'll keep updating as much as possible, where are you on your build? A good tip for the trenches on the top, get some big Popsicle sticks from the dollar store. when your in the resin stage score the trench with your dremal. Then cover the area with a good coat of bondo , then use the popsicle stick and run it down the trench sideways like a knife that will move the bondo out of the trench and give you a good clean line. That's how I did it.

Thanks Terrag Shugo.

Same here for me Curly I was Canadian Special Forces before they disbanded, they call them some thing else now. Like I said to James in the one post they remind me of the training you and I went trough. Feet first in to Hell was what my drill instructor use to say.

Actually Ravenwolf I've been thinking about the visor quite a bit lately. I have a two peace in mind that opens and have the details worked out in my head but I'd need to try it. Basically the majority of it will slid up and a couple of gears on the ends will make the center of the bottom to go down into the chin. A motor and cable will pull the top which trough the gears will move the bottom. thought that might be a cool feature, also when the visor gets foggy just open it up so you can see. Just one of the ideas I'm mulling over.

Darth Dregan001: No I haven't gotten that far yet. Once I get a few other projects raped up I'm going to put more time into the rest of the armor. Trying to get my MC Mark VI chest peace done. That's the big one right now.

Thanks Tactonyx

this thing is looking great. keep up the good work Misfit. It's good to see more ODST popping up. Like what was said before not everyone wants to be a Spartan.

Thanx ODST_21 it's been awhile since I worke don this project. To many other things got in the way. I'm working on my daughters Kat costume for Halloween now but I've seen some wicked foam ODST builds and I just bought the game today. So after I give it a play I know my juices will be flowing to finish this one.

Yeah, I just got the game as well and being able to take my own snapshots and just playing in general got me wanting to finish up my ODST

Darth Dregan001:Once I get a few other projects raped up I'm going to put more time into the rest of the armor.

Thanks Tactonyx

Glad you still have plans for this! I LOVE Dutchs helmet!

However, I cant express how glad I am that no pics were posted of you raping your other projects! lol!

LOL I was using my mom's laptop for that post not use to the keyboard. To small for my taste. I do plan on making all the halo helms but from the pics of ODST Dutch's armor was the one I seemed to like the best. So now that I'm home I can get into the game and see what it looks like. I might do this one in foam. Just to make it lighter and less restrictive. First things fist though have to finish my kids Kat build and prop gun for a friends Harley Quinn costume and my Mark VI Spartan for Halloween this year. Then I can move onto other things. I have a ton of helms on the go in various stages that need to be finished as well.

Yep I haven't started with the 120 yet. Here is another WIP pic.
dscf3482q.jpg

By misfitjh
The problem with this helm is that it was made with 65lbs paper. That's all I could find when I first started out so I had a few wrinkles here and there. Like I said in another post I really dig the helms they come up with for these game so I will probably do most if not all of them.

Wow, fantastic bondo work and sanding. I really like the way it's coming together. Keep it up my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back