Powder coating armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownnemesis

Jr Member
Hey 405th,

I was thinking of trying to powder coat my ODST armor when it is time to paint it. My question is, Is it possible to do it, and has anyone ever tried that? If so how did you go about the powder coating process?

Hey 405th,

I was thinking of trying to powder coat my ODST armor when it is time to paint it. My question is, Is it possible to do it, and has anyone ever tried that? If so how did you go about the powder coating process?

I'm not too sure about that... I've used powder coat before and everything I ever knew about it was that metal is a requirement for the electrons to bond the powder in the heating process; plus even if the powder would bond to plastic for body filler the heating process would damage the product but again my only experience with powder is with autos

I think you're probably right on, cfh935. As far as I know, powder coating is mainly for metal parts. Even if it is possible, I find it likely that it would be expensive and difficult to accomplish. Did I mention expensive? Your best bet is to find a local service (as it's not really something you can do at home), and start asking questions.

Also, what would the benefits be over using just regular paint? Durability? Your armor's more likely to be damaged than your paintjob, if you do it right.

here you got a video that shows you how to do it , but i would recommend regular paint it wil be faster and cheaper

grtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same, i was reading online that there are powder coating paints that bond at lower temperatures, that can be used with wood. It just had me thinking that you might be able to do it. The risk of ruining the armor freaks me out a bit.

Well, if you still want to go through with that, try it on a small piece like a handplate or a random tiny add-on or something to see if it works not to ruin a giant hard to pep piece

I agree with you, it seemed like it would have been a good idea to get a good paint job. I'll have to research a bit more before i do something that could be considered stupid. I'll probably have to stick with the old fashion paint brush and spray paint ways.

You might consider Duracoat, although it is probably just as expensive as powder coating. I know it bonds well to polymers, wood and metal.

I am going to have to agree to darknemesis. The powder sticks to surfaces magnetically and if you molded or pepped your armor it wouldn't make a difference. Neither plastic or paper are magnetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back