Soft Parts Helmet liners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless Son

As far as commercial helmet liners, what brands and models do you recommend for an ODST helmet and why?

I recommend a motorcycle liner they help alot becouse the fit snugly and there easy to install plus they come in all different sizes. Ithaca has some videos on youtube here's on example

Last edited by a moderator:
i couldn't get a motocycle liner readily availible at a store so instead i picket up a dirt biking helmet liner with a few sticky pads on the front for the forhead and it's working perfectly. motorcycle padding seem to be a better choice if you can fit them into your helmet.

i couldn't get a motorcycle liner readily available at a store so instead i picket up a dirt biking helmet liner with a few sticky pads on the front for the forehead and it's working perfectly. motorcycle padding seem to be a better choice if you can fit them into your helmet.

great minds think a like heh, i got the dirt bike liner for my helmet. i would have had to rescale it to fit the motorcycle padding

I did it cheaply: Foam batting cut and pasted in the helmet.

Uncomfortable, and I can't just pull it off or put it on, but it works.

my plan was for foam from the craft store and contact glue. then getting a fabric and covering the foam. ill let you know how it goes lol

Best idea i could come up with is military helmet padding. You can order a kit, it comes with velcro circles with adhesive on the backside, and pads with velcro loops on the backside, a big round center piece, forehead piece, and several support pieces, and can be arranged for better fit or better airflow. You would probably be able to find it if you search for "ACH padding"

Best idea i could come up with is military helmet padding. You can order a kit, it comes with velcro circles with adhesive on the backside, and pads with velcro loops on the backside, a big round center piece, forehead piece, and several support pieces, and can be arranged for better fit or better airflow. You would probably be able to find it if you search for "ACH padding"

ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet) has ok padding but I would suggest looking into other materials aswell. The pads are some what stiff and require some wearing to get it to mold to your dome. The pads can also get fairly sweaty with long wear as well. The motorcycle route sounds like a good way to go because they are made for wearing a long period of time in a fully covering helmet, while the ACH doesn't cover that much of the head. You could use it to supplement the other as well and that may work.

I just velcro'd (and hot glued the velcro) regular black a/c foam from Walmart to my helmets. It takes a little bit of back and forth to figure out what fits exactly, but it works great and it's cheap. I tried bike or skating helmets but the padding was never thick enough. If you go with fabric over it, it will look just as good as the far more expensive paddings - just make sure to get a breathable fabric.

liner

i would have loved to use a proper motorcycle liner but just couldn't find one anywhere, so instead i used black sponge foam, it works great, comfy easy to put on and off, i give it thumbs up :)

Go to Academy with your helmet and aim for the football helmet section. They have pads with different thicknesses you could try out.
They might be expensive, but at least you could size up what feels comfortable and what you like.

After that, grab some memory foam and adhere it to your helmet. If you compress it too much, you'll feel hard bits of super glue through the foam.

i have used eva foam to line all my armor for my odst suit the only issue i ran into is. I can't wear my glasses in my gear.

I must agree with jprothro89 up top. ACH helmet padding kids are inexpensive, modular, and easy to find, easy to clean. You can't go wrong. Additionally, THey leave gaps between the pads that allow some air circulation, which can be priceless in some of these buckets. Search around for good prices, Ebay generally does a good job, but don't forget the velcro "coins". Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-ORIGINAL-...id=1412012984&sr=8-1&keywords=ach+helmet+pads

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, I'm a chinsy little guy so I'd buy some bath sponge from our local dollar store, cut it up and wad the heck out of my helmet (when I make it).
I could probably get better foam IF I tried. It wouldn't be hard... Plus we've got craft stores the size of large Walmarts here in NZ...

I was thinking about that too, I think I might gut the inside of my old street bike helmet, the foam inside allows your head to get in and out and then expands to even everything out comfortably. Also, if you do it right you should be able to remove them for washing, so no smelly helmets. I wonder how hard it would be to glue in the little press studs to the interior just like a real motorbike helmet?

There are some replacement liners and chinstrap sets you can get for airsoft helmets, they cost around $20-$40 and provide a good base to secure your head if you have a roomy helmet that keeps slipping around.

I used a hard hat liner. Just cut the tabs off the hat where the liner connects and hot glue those tabs in the helmet. It's adjustable for anyone to wear and no foam means it stays cooler. Plus if you add fans it gets better flow around your head. And the hard hats are like $15 at Canadian Tire and Wallmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back