Another Iron Man pepakura thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bking36

Hello everyone.

I'm somewhat new to this forum. I've been lurking while working on my first pep, Sharkhead's Sharkmark VI helmet. I've finished it about 2 days ago and have been researching the resin hardening phase and bondo. I've on Ben Streeper's pepakura, and it is extremely informative.

Anyways, here are some pictures. I used crazy glue to put it together. Let me know what you guys think.

ig9fva.jpg

c22rp.jpg

I am trying to see how I would be able to harden and rotocast this, as it is separated into three pieces. I'm thinking about hardening the faceplate while attached to the helmet, so that way it would retain its shape. Then I would remove the face place so that I would be able to harden the detailed grills in the cheek.

rvvqd1.jpg

Great job! But same time I feel bad, I think I'm the only one who hasn't been able to build that helmet. Wanna do a spare for me? :D

Great job! But same time I feel bad, I think I'm the only one who hasn't been able to build that helmet. Wanna do a spare for me? :D

Thanks! You can do it! It just takes some patience. This took me about 2 weeks to complete, what with a full time job AND a girlfriend (who always wants me to play FFXIII, yea she likes to watch me play that game :p). But it can be done! Let me know if you need help.

Here's a quick update:

I've decided to resin the jaw first, so that way I can harden the cheek grills. I reinforced the struts with skewers as the card stock alone was bending. Once I resin the jaw, I'll replace the faceplate and proceed to harden the rest of the model.

2lm43yf.jpg

357r2xl.jpg

This looks like it will actually turn out awesome. What would really rock if after fiberglass, bondo and the paintjob, you added a motorized open faceplate like in this video:

It's probably harder than it looks and I don't know if you'd want to take it that far, but it'd be pretty kick-ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great job so far on the iron man helmet. The pep job looks really clean right now. Can't wait to see the whole suit done.

That pep looks incredible man! you really did justice to that file. Its pretty intense as far as pepakura models go. Kudos! can't wait to see more

That is AWESOME my friend!! Lookin forward to your next piece...If you wanna do another helm let me know, I can't tackle this file for some reason!!

Wow!

Nice pep!
Incredible, how did you manage the air intake?
I have a hard time getting it right.

Thanks guys. The air intake was pretty tough. Honestly, the only advice I can really give is to just take your time, be patient, and line up the numbers. Some of the numbered tabs were reversed, so just to avoid a screw up when gluing, I would verify by looking up the model on pepakura designer.

I just came back from a trip this weekend, so I am hoping to get it hardened with resin this week.

Hey guys, here's an update to my helmet. I've finally resin hardened the helmet:

105duvk.jpg

However, after it fully cured, I noticed that it may be a bit uneven. I'm not sure if it's just me. I'm thinking it's the way the faceplate set. What do you suggest I do to fix this? Should I harden with rondo first, before cutting the face plate off? Or should I just go ahead and cut off the faceplate and jaw to reposition? I really want to avoid re pepping the helmet. **NOTE: this is the sharkmark VI, which splits into pieces: head, jaw and faceplate.

5501tf.jpg

Quick update:

I finished resining the inside a couple days ago, and just finished rondo'ing the inside today. However, after closely inspecting the helmet, I noticed that some warping may have occurred.

sl3eoz.jpg

The chin appears to have shifted a little bit the right. I believe this happened during the resining phase.

4kel2b.jpg

Everything looks fine from this angle.

14y04g2.jpg

This is where the warping is most noticeable.

Too bad. It looks like I may have to repep this thing. Any tips on how to prevent this type of warping in the future? I am also think about trying to repair the uneveness with bondo or clay. Any suggestions/critiques will are greatly appreciated (and needed)! :)

Nice build!

How many layers of resin did you use?
Maybe more layers + cloth could have prevented warp?

no cloth. just resin and rondo. I applied just once. I just rec'd my dremel today, So I'm gonna see if I can cut out the chin, and possibly readjust it so that it will be more even.

It's ok, I created that model and I can't even make it. LOL
The warp problem is easily fixed with Bondo, it's not even really that noticeable. If it shifted to the right, just put some Bondo on the left side and make it symmetrical. :)
But if you're a perfectionist and would rather keep the shape of the jaw, then you're probably on the right track with resetting it.
Very nice job on it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back