Halo 3 ODST Visors

Status
Not open for further replies.
That particular piece is impossible to see through. I have clear acetate as well, which is crystal clear, which I am planning on tinting with window tint sheets, I am currently using the clouded sheets to figure out the sizing and how I will connect the pieces with out wasting any of my clear material.

nice idea for the visor.

btw, you should look up this thing called VHT Niteshades. Its a spray on tint you use for car headlights/ taillights. It'll work a lot better than the window sheets

This is what I did!!!!!! :D
I did this on my old odst project a while ago!!!!!
It works great!

Making My Visor
Zi6_1328.jpg

Visor In
Zi6_1340_edited-1.jpg

Twins

Zi6_1345_edited-1.jpg

Thanks, theres more to come!

TELL ME WAT U THINK!

-The Irish Cowboy

See!
i posted that 6/24/10.

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the method I came up with a few months back to answer peoples call for a non-vacume formed visor (I made a thread but its OLD) WONDERFULL tutorial you have made! I suggest a sticky!

Jacob

PS

Keep up the good work!

Sorry it is taking me so long to get the final stuff done, I have been pretty busy lately, and since I finally have some decent weather I have been taking advantage of it to finish the fiberglass and resin work I have left on my other pieces. I will try and get to this some more today, but no promises

I think I might want to give this a try. What thickness of acetate did you use?

I am not sure actually, because I got a big roll of it from a store display that the place I work was throwing out. Just looking online, I have seen .003" and .005". I would go with the thicker stuff, that way you won't accidentally cut through it while scoring the bend lines.

Also, does anybody have a pic of the VHT Nite Shade stuff on a visor, or can tell me how clear it is to see through?

I looked up the VHT nite shade, it seems okay, but I don't see where there are color options or anything. But it does look pretty handy if you're gonna use this stuff. But by pointing out this material I think I've now come up with what I need to finish the helmet. I really didn't like the idea of buying some motorcycle visor crap and having to slice and dice and bend and heat all that crap and screw it up.
Maybe I'll buy a roll of this and try it out on my reach helmet!!

Ok, I have been messing with this all day and I can't get the VHT NiteShade to come out clear. I have tried very thin coats and waiting for about 20-30 minutes in between but it looks worse than the cling tint I had before.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to keep it from fogging up?

Ok, I have been messing with this all day and I can't get the VHT NiteShade to come out clear. I have tried very thin coats and waiting for about 20-30 minutes in between but it looks worse than the cling tint I had before.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to keep it from fogging up?

I picked up some of that stuff a few weeks ago. I haven't used it in a helmet yet, but i have tried it a little on some crap plastic. If you read the can, it says it dried to the touch in like an hour, and is fully dry in 24. It seemed very cloudy and not see through at first, but i let it dry for a day, and it became a lot more clear. I think you might just want to try letting it dry a lot longer than 20 minutes between coats :)

Just wanted to post an update:

I finished my visor and glued it into my helmet this afternoon, unfortunately I just moved and haven't found my camera yet, but I used the NiteShades stuff and it worked out really well. I will update the front page with pics and some more of a tutorial on the nite shade spray tomorrow

Thanks everyone who helped out!!!!!!!!!!

Nice tutorial Zaku, really helped me out with my odst project. I was wondering how I was going to pull this off without a vac table.

Do you think this technique would work on Plexiglas? Assuming it's thin enough to work with?

Just wanted to post an update:

I finished my visor and glued it into my helmet this afternoon, unfortunately I just moved and haven't found my camera yet, but I used the NiteShades stuff and it worked out really well. I will update the front page with pics and some more of a tutorial on the nite shade spray tomorrow

Thanks everyone who helped out!!!!!!!!!!

ok awesome! this tut was very informative and helpful! Can't wait to see it completed!!

hey i was redirected to one of your earlier threads by other 405th members. I was wondering about the visor you made for your ODST Helm. is the Nite shades material what you used to give it a tint? if so, is it a mirror reflection or is more like a darkening effect

Nice tutorial Zaku, really helped me out with my odst project. I was wondering how I was going to pull this off without a vac table.

Do you think this technique would work on Plexiglas? Assuming it's thin enough to work with?

I think it would as long as it was thick enough to be scored and thin enough to be rolled.

@ styzzo:

It just tints, but it has a bit of gloss to it

I have question. Everybody keeps saying tint but this VHT stuff is a reflective spray right? I can't tell by looking at the most updated pics on the first page. The manufacturer says it's black but that may not be the exact stuff you're talking about...

Also for color tints you guys should try the Krylon Metals series. They're clear varnishes in Blue, Red and Green. It's much the same technique as this (you spray it on go "OMG I can't see I screwed it up" then come back a day later and go "Hey this is SWEET") The Blue+ this VHT stuff I think will equal the perfect ODST visor.

And no I didn't make this for me.

I have question. Everybody keeps saying tint but this VHT stuff is a reflective spray right? I can't tell by looking at the most updated pics on the first page. The manufacturer says it's black but that may not be the exact stuff you're talking about...

Also for color tints you guys should try the Krylon Metals series. They're clear varnishes in Blue, Red and Green. It's much the same technique as this (you spray it on go "OMG I can't see I screwed it up" then come back a day later and go "Hey this is SWEET") The Blue+ this VHT stuff I think will equal the perfect ODST visor.

And no I didn't make this for me.

Are you talking about this stuff:

http://www.krylon.com/products/xmetals/

I will take a look for it when I am out and about today, and if it isn't too costly I may try it

Hey turned out great!!!! question though: Would these rolls/sheets of acetate be the right stuff to use?

And what thickness and how much would i want to buy?

these: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Clear-Acetate-Plastic-Sheets-8-1-2-X-11-X-005-/390225478624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adb4043e0#ht_500wt_1154

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alameda-Clear-Acetate-Sheets-11X14-100-Sheets-004-/250689730439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e45b787#ht_500wt_1154

http://www.creativecoldsnow.com/bro...-sheet-25x40/4,7481.html?&message=addedtocart (shipping is 8 dollars for this one)

And here is just a random website with a big list of different kinds- http://www.creativecoldsnow.com/search.htm

Sorry if that seemed scatterbrained... i'm really tired hahahah

Thanks a million!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back