Halo 3 ODST Visors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZakuAce

Jr Member
Tutorial: Halo 3 ODST Visors

snapshot20100807b.jpg
snapshot20100807b.jpg
Hey everyone, I have been working on an ODST armor for some time and I am getting close. Anyway, I have started making the visor for the helmet and I noticed that others have been having difficulties so I am posting my current process and how it works.

I am using plastic called acetate, it is available at art stores and also online (just google search it) its pretty cheap. The pieces I am using for this tutorial are clouded, one because i don't want to waist my clear stuff while figuring out the fit and two because it will make it easier to show what I am doing in pictures.
snapshot20100807b.jpg

Step 1. Get Pep File pattern

First you need the Pep File that has the Visor pattern. I am using the Rookie helm made by Rundown and unfolded by RalPartha, you can get it from the link below:

http://www.4shared.com/file/131598126/a998cea9/Rookie_Helmet_by_Rundown.html

Once you get it print just the page with the Visor pieces, and cut out the pieces for the top and bottom part of the visor

1004102a.jpg

Cut the fold tabs off of each piece.

Step 2:Trace the pieces onto the plastic sheet

1004091r.jpg

You can just flip the same top piece to get both sides, or you could cut both out, but i didn't see the point.

The Bottom piece should be traced onto the sheet so that the two top edges are connected to the top piece.

1004093.jpg

Then sketch out a line about a 1/4" away from all of the outside edge as shown. This will give you room to attach your visor to your helmet. Also put two black dots at the top and the bottom 1 inch away from the center line of the piece as shown.

Step 3: Cut out the piece

Cut along the dotted line you sketched, be sure to have a new sharp blade or it will be much harder. Be careful as the blade may catch in the plastic, if it does back it out and start the cut back over, don't force it, or you will risk scoring your piece in places you don't want to or even cutting yourself.

1004094t.jpg

This what mine looked like when it was cut out. I was cutting from a roll so it naturally bends the way I want it. If you are cutting from a flat sheet don't worry, it will be pliable enough to form to the helmet.

Step 4: Score the piece

After the piece is cut, lay it flat on the cutting board and place a ruler so that it gives you a straight edge from the dots you made earlier.

1004099.jpg

Carefully move the blade down the line. Do not use a lot of pressure. I mean, use as little as you can while still pressing against the plastic. You may have to run over it a couple of times, but you do not want to cut through the plastic all the way. Also score a line in the same manner across where the top and bottom pieces meet. Once scored, place your thumbs on either side of the score mark and bend the piece to create the crease in that spot. It should take a little force and should also stay pretty much where you put once it is bent. Do NOT bend it back and forth, this will cause it to break eventually.

When it is done it should look like this:

1004100.jpg

Step 5: Apply VHT Nite-Shades

The trick I found with this stuff was to spray it at a moderate pace across the piece about 4-5 inches away. Don't go back and forth just one pass with a slight overlap since the part is going to be bigger than the width of the spray.

This is the part that I found to be very important. Count to 30 after you are done spraying the piece the first time. Then spray the second layer. Repeat again for the third layer and if you want it really dark go for a forth.

Here are the results.

1004106z.jpg

And here are some more pics of it hot glued in and from the inside

1004110.jpg

1004113.jpg

Here are some pics with a light inside, this isn't a light kit or led, it is just a lamp, but it shows that with illumination behind the visor you can see through it. Meaning you can get the same effect as Sean's helmet.

1004118v.jpg

1004119z.jpg

1004117.jpg

Hope this helps everyone out and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help my Project!!!
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted

looks neat, but how is the visibility?

That particular piece is impossible to see through. I have clear acetate as well, which is crystal clear, which I am planning on tinting with window tint sheets, I am currently using the clouded sheets to figure out the sizing and how I will connect the pieces with out wasting any of my clear material.

That particular piece is impossible to see through. I have clear acetate as well, which is crystal clear, which I am planning on tinting with window tint sheets
I was wondering if when you tint a visor and you put an led inside the helm (above the visor, inside the helmet) if it will get the same effect as the one that Sean Bradley got for his auctioned odst helm

I was wondering if when you tint a visor and you put an led inside the helm (above the visor, inside the helmet) if it will get the same effect as the one that Sean Bradley got for his auctioned odst helm

I don't know if it will have that effect or not, but I might try it and see how it looks

I don't know if it will have that effect or not, but I might try it and see how it looks

thank you. and also if you get it to work please message me with the results. i am quite giddy to get that effect and i would die if i didnt have to buy one from sean. things can get expensive...... especialy if they have intricate electronics.=D

snapshot20100808.jpg

snapshot201008081.jpg

snapshot201008081.jpg

Alright here is the visor in the helmet, you obviously wouldn't use tape, but this (http://www.plazaart.com/products.php?page=3&a=6&id=405011) would be best for the interface of the two pieces and I would think that any kind of epoxy would be good for attaching to the helmet.

I am going to try and make one that is a piece cut out, this would make things a little simpler. If anyone has any suggestions please leave them, I am short on cash until this friday, so I won't start working on a usable visor until next weekend, when I can get the tint and the adhesive
http://www.plazaart.com/products.php?page=3&a=6&id=405011

snapshot20100808.jpg

snapshot201008081.jpg

snapshot201008081.jpg

Alright here is the visor in the helmet, you obviously wouldn't use tape, but this (http://www.plazaart.com/products.php?page=3&a=6&id=405011) would be best for the interface of the two pieces and I would think that any kind of epoxy would be good for attaching to the helmet.

I am going to try and make one that is a piece cut out, this would make things a little simpler. If anyone has any suggestions please leave them, I am short on cash until this friday, so I won't start working on a usable visor until next weekend, when I can get the tint and the adhesive
http://www.plazaart.com/products.php?page=3&a=6&id=405011

very nice. is there a way that i can get the templates for this. or is it just a pep file that you used.

Bumping this up because I couldn't find it on the front page (thought it got deleted), and I think it has some pretty useful info for people.

Also this would work with pretty much any helmet visor if it has been made in pepakura

Bumping this up because I couldn't find it on the front page (thought it got deleted), and I think it has some pretty useful info for people.

Also this would work with pretty much any helmet visor if it has been made in pepakura

awesome. thank you so much......

now i dont have to buy one from sean...... not that it mattered anyways...... i couldnt get ahold of him. >=(

and why the hell hasnt this been stickied yet........

Ok, I tired the window tint thing today and It darkened the visor the way I wanted but the clarity went to crap. I think this was because of the tint I was using, it was a cling style tint and after doing some more research I found out that they generally have good clarity. I am going to try again with some better quality stuff soon.

Also a sticky on this would be nice for fellow visor makers...

Ok, I tired the window tint thing today and It darkened the visor the way I wanted but the clarity went to crap. I think this was because of the tint I was using, it was a cling style tint and after doing some more research I found out that they generally have good clarity. I am going to try again with some better quality stuff soon.

Also a sticky on this would be nice for fellow visor makers...

oh too bad it didn't work... thanks for posting your results! I've been watching this thread all week! XD

When you say it was cling type.. do you mean it was like a sticker? and where did you get yours?

For the tint if you go to Canadian Tire (if you live in Canada) or you local Pepboys and get the window tint the have there it's a pretty good quality. You need to use a small squeegee and lots of soapy water and start in the middle and work your way out. Spray down the lens with a generous amount of water on the inside, lay in the tint and squeegee out the air bubbles. After it's dry trim the excess. It's the exact same proses they use to tint windows on cars.

The type I used was like a window cling, it didn't use any actual adhesive. It seems like it is thicker than the normal stuff. I got it AutoZone and pretty much used the the method described by misfitjh. I am going to try and find some better quality stuff, maybe from pepboys or just a different brand from autozone.

I am hoping to get on this tomorrow, and I will post some pics if I get it to work out.

This is a pretty sweet technique but it would be great to see the final one that you made with the clear visor and it all put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back