Starcraft 2 Terran Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go thought i'd post my progress on the torso (ive used the ingame model supplied by Nintendude and unfolded by Guilhermebtbj1)
PICT0001.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

i've only painted it to get more of a feel of how it will turn out
i would do more exept its far to cold here to resin and so forth
hopes this makes this file less duanting then what it seams

This thread is amazing. My wife and I just got back from Dragoncon with the idea of doing SC2 for next year. Started looking around and this is just what I needed! I'm new to the whole pepakura/paper modeling thing but I'm going to give it a go. Hopefully I will be able to complete the suit in a year while working on my wife's ghost Kerrigan outfit as well.

I joined this forum just because of this thread! i am planning to go with a crew of family and friends to Comic-Con and hopefully Dragon*Con next year. It would so be awesome to go dressed as a custom Marine!! I'm IN!!!!

Not sure if I met you at this D*C or not AzD but it would be great to see you in a suit like this. Chenmbar it looks great so far, but on future parts try turning down the fold threshold from 175 which is the general setting to 165, that should make it a little smoother and you won't have as many folds, but at least you got the toughest part out first.

So, started building my first piece today. Went with Right Gauntlet (unfolded by Guilhermebtbj1) but I noticed that the mountain/valley folds were folding so that the edgeID's were on the inside of the model. My first assumption was that it had something to do with the way the 2D models were generated. Probably inverted the left gauntlet model to get the right pattern? Probably going to tape it together just to make sure I don't need to change the mountain/valley folds before I glue it all together, but it's coming along nicely! :)

Chenmbar, your piece looks awesome. Have you made any more progress on the other pieces? I'd love to see how your suit is coming along.

thanks for the encouragement
not a lot of progress got too much going on at the moment
but on future parts try turning down the fold threshold from 175 which is the general setting to 165, that should make it a little smoother and you won't have as many folds, but at least you got the toughest part out first. but on future parts try turning down the fold threshold from 175 which is the general setting to 165, that should make it a little smoother and you won't have as many folds, but at least you got the toughest part out first.
hehe i remebered you saying that earlier halfway into the build.

Alright. So a heads up for all you building the marine armor. The gauntlets, be they left or right (I assume, only built the right so far) are scaled with the idea of the glove not actually having a hand in it, but being an extension of the suit. If you watch the intro cinematic with Tychus getting suited up you see that his hand is actually inside the forearm piece. I'm hoping that scaling down the pattern will fix this issue because the "right gauntlet" I built based on the unfolds we have is pretty huge compared to my arm =P

edit: I just mention this because earlier in the thread it was talking about having to overscale the "gauntlet" files to get the look in the trailer, but (unless i have extra short forearms.. >.>) the files seem to be over scaled a bit, so I'm trying to play with the scaling to figure out the right size.

Hey guys, I started my suit september 9th and im currently fiber glassing it. The goal is to get it finished by Oct. 29th for Halloween. Heres a picture of all the pieces and then the chest piece.
2w7hj89.jpg
34q5kso.jpg

mschmotz, awesome job so far! I can't wait to see it come together. Haven't made nearly as much progress on my build. Grad school is in full swing and eating all of my time >.< Keep us updated!

Oh no I see one mistake but since it looks like you are going good so far don't worry too much about it. The fiberglass cloth and resin was supposed to go inside and just resin brushed on the outside, but you appear to be doing good anyway.

AzD - Thanx man, I know what u mean...exams have been bogging me down. Its hard to stay consistent :/.

Nintendude - yea, I understand where you are coming from. I picked the outside because there are lots of tight corners on the inside that were just too hard to work around. So, in order to fix that problem, once the other pieces are done, im going to use a paint brush to put another layer on top of the fiber glass with just resin. Then after that, I will BONDO the rest with the molding giving it a "round" look. :)

Ive been trying to et as much done as possible since I have no exams this week. Here I am so far. Just finished the chest and put the shoulders on to see what it looks like. Any opinions?
5mn4ec.jpg

you look like a t total badass. How'd the initial scaling work out for you? Did you have to change it much to get it to fit you correctly?

OMG It's looking perfect so far when you do the boots if I may make a suggestion cut the bottom off the boot once you fiberglass it then get some EVA Anti-Fatigue Foam Sheet and place the shoe on the foam, trace the sole and cut out a few layers of the foam for the sole gluing together each layer for the boot it will basically allow you to have platform boots and will make you a bit taller so the armor comes together nicely in the end. Looks like you've taken case of almost all the hard parts now for just the last hard part the Helmet then onto the easy parts I think, wait no it looks like you've already done just about all the easy parts lol.

WWWWOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is amazing how.... i mean.... it's huge!.... how long did it take you to make that?

OH
MY
GOD

this is just epic :D
machmotz you look just epic :p
Guess i have plans for the next years with everything i see on this website XD

Azd - For the scaling, I built half the chest piece out of regular copy paper. I thought i was going to have to scale it down but after i got about half way i realized that i might just as well leave it the default size. Im 6'4" and about 190 pounds. When i firt put the chest piece on after fiberglassing it, I actaully had a semi hard time getting into it (cause unlike paper... it doesnt bend or give any). I was actaully thinking it might be a lil small. But im just being crazy, its like perfect fit.

Nintendude - Thats a great idea actaully. Thank you. If i have im going to try that. Im not sure where to get that foam tho, within a few weeks :/ (goal is to get it done by Oct. 29th) I was thinking about making my own fiberglass boots, but idk. I havnt gotten to that part yet. But! i need help with the helmet. Im not sure what to do exactly. Any thoughts?

RoadKill - 25 total hours on all pieces (just the pepakura), and im logging about 3.5 weeks on fiber glassing, its intense stuff.

Are we still missing some unfolded parts for the full marine build? The files I have are still missing COD, boots, helmet, gloves. The gloves aren't such a big deal because you can foamcraft those. The helmet/boots might be a bit tougher without a pep model to go off of though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back