Props CNC'ed halo reach rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

link4044

Sr Member
4889668814_75d11e1251_b.jpg
heres a little something that yodajammies is helping me out on

! ( jaw drops from mouth ) agahaagahahhhaa yaaayahaaga a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTttttssss so beautiful whats it made of?

That is gorgeous!! If I had a CNC machine, I'd never leave the house! At least not unarmed or unarmored

20 lb/ft^3 urethane tooling board.

Took 50 minutes on the roughing pass. 3:45 on the finishing pass. The longest mill run piece I've done to date.

Don't set up the CNC as the almighty end-all of prop making guys. There is still a LOT of work that goes into making a phenomenal finished product. You still need a steady hand and sharp eye to clean up those rough bits, and the good design practice to know when to replace milled detail with a hand or laser wrought piece. That, and building the 3d model was no walk in the park either, I imagine. (props to whoever build the CAD drawing. It was nicely setup and easy to work with. Drop me a line sometime. I may have some work for you)

Anyway, explore the machine shops in your area. They may be able to assist you in your prop making endeavors and knock out some of these hard to fabricate parts for ya.

Good luck with this Link. Can't wait to put together my kit.

well hell, if Link is going to start the thread on his build, I may as well put some semi-decent pictures up.

I'm glad we went with the 20lb board rather than the 10lb Link. It's much more solid and I don't think we would have be able to achieve quite the detail level as we did with a less dense material. Whether or not it was worth the extra $Benjamin is up for debate. (I say yes, but then again, I didn't buy it. :) )

You'll notice the butt of the rifle is absent - I accidently broke that off removing it from the main piece of tooling board, and of course, this is only one half of the rifle.

We went with a scale of 31.5 inches, and I must say, it's a rather comfortable fit when shouldered.

Nothing has been done to these millings other than remove them from the main block of material. No clean up, no sanding, nada.

4889268431_be7b5e1c40_b.jpg

4889266501_f70004a6a5_b.jpg

4889859146_d475a957cc_b.jpg

i was going to cut the butt off anyways, so you helped out on that,,,,,well im glad you said to get the 20lb board (even it cost me to be late on a bill)

Dude, when I saw the pics in Facebook I was like OH SH!T.
Its a wonderful piece, it ended up being better that what I expected :)

BTW
Yoda, I didnt know you live in Florida lol

that is awesome. i agree if i had a cnc machine i would never leave the house. man the things you could do with a cnc machine. imagination is going wild!

...That, and building the 3d model was no walk in the park either, I imagine. (props to whoever build the CAD drawing. It was nicely setup and easy to work with. Drop me a line sometime. I may have some work for you)...

I did up the original autoCAD orthographic projection and posted it in my blueprints thread (see my sig) as a gif image. Chevysrule then used that and my reference pictures to do up the 3D model. If someone had of contacted me I could have have given whoever the CAD DWG file if it would have helped.

We went with a scale of 31.5 inches, and I must say, it's a rather comfortable fit when shouldered.

This just about answers a question I'm working on. My original blueprint came in at 880mm, but since I finished it Bungie.net has posted a wireframe prop build that was used for motion capture which is the scale you guys used, which has set me on the path to doing a plyboard cutout to see if that's a better size. Which by the sounds of it it is.:D

It's bizzare that I come home to find this thread Yodajammies as I've obviously been interested in how this CNC'd build would come together since Alexspartan mentioned it and I was just looking at your armour thread in the elite section this morning. I love what all of you have done with it and I love how it's coming together so far.

I'll have to check what the conversation rate is and see if I can afford one of these puppies as they're looking pretty frakking awesome so far! Keep it up and I look forward to seeing more.;)

Wow that awesome I so wish I had a CNC machine I could stay at home and have fun all day I would'nt care about the clean-up I have enough tools to do that. Right now all I have is my cheap $20 CNC machine which does small things and a big metal lathe that was left in the shop from the original owner which it's now mine. When you start selling these I'll definatly want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back